1982 American series spirit

• Thread starter Fullmoon 1971
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Fullmoon 1971

Reaction score

Hey folks may I present to you for your consideration my 1982 Spirit. The big question is, is it a Epiphone or is it a gibson. First a little history lesson.

The Spiritis a lesser-known model produced from 1982 to 1984 by Gibson first at the kalamazoo factory then at it's Nashville site as part of its Epiphone USA Range.

It was initially produced in the Kalamazoo factory under the Epiphone name. In late 1982 gibson decided to move it from the Epiphone catalogue and re-brand it Gbson (some versions of the story say due to poor sales some say for selling too well - you decide).

During the change over some Epiphone models were just re-stamped Gibson, and a faint uncoloured stamped Epiphone logo can be seen under the Gibson logo on the peghead.

The above pictured spirit is dated 18th nov 1982 and has the the transtitional headstock veneer. i.e if you look carefully you can see the epi logo extending below the Gibson. (I will try a decent picture of this but differcult due to heastock checking).

Mahogany Body
Mahogany Set Neck
Rosewood Fretboard with Pearloid Dots
22 Medium Frets
24 ¾” Scale Length
Tim Shaw Bridge Humbucker
Nickel Kluson Machineheads
Chrome Schaller 445 Wraparound Bridge
1 Volume, 1 Tone
Vintage Cherry Burst

Thread also posted in my other guitars as a poll

Last edited:

eS.G.

Reaction score
:cheers::thumb: gorgeous...............say Fullmoon, are you interested in adopting a slightly used and horribly cantankerous 46 year old guitar addict?????

JohnnyGoo

Reaction score
Thats a Schaller model 455 bridge.its like the Schaller 456 bridge with out the fine tuners.nice guitar

RTH

Reaction score
The American Series SG Special is one of my grail guitars...and these kind of have me GASsing for one. Thanks alot, guys!

Fullmoon 1971

Reaction score
I couldn't honestly say about the price the models that have sold in the UK on evilbay all went for between £700-£850 so thats over $1000. I have to be honest mine cost me no where near that as I got it from pawn shop and they thought it was fake. so it only cost me £150 with original case and warranty card.

Mark

Reaction score

Fullmoon 1971

Reaction score
A little history on how I came to own this beauty. I do a lot of trawling around the various local pawn shops near where I live - so over time the stores all get to know me and my preferences in guitars and most of them will put a guitar on one side if they think I'll be interested. This one didn't get put aside as the store in question thought it was fake - as they couldn't find any info on it. Anyway long story short I goes just for a look around and the manager what I think of this guitar. there was no price card on it as he had taken off as he handed it me. I knew it was something special straight away as it felt so good and I was sure I'd seen something similar on Evilbay. So I asked how much he wanted for it, he had it up for sale at £149.99 with original case. So what could I do, she went home with me that day, when I got it home I found the warranty card inside - I'm only the 3rd owner.

So I ended up with a fantastic guitar for about the same price as a modern Epiphone SG special.

Latest posts