1998 Epiphone SG G-400

• Thread starter SylenCommando
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SylenCommando

Reaction score
Hi , I am new to the forums, and I just picked up my first Epiphone guitar today used. Its a 1998 Epiphone SG G-400 made in Korea, it has Gibson on the truss rod cover also. I just had some questions, the guitar is in very good condition, but I noticed some cracks around the neck joint is this normal? This guitar is 17 years old not so not sure if this happens over time. I only paid $200 for the guitar with a hard shell case. I am going to take some pictures and post them. I just want to know if this is something to be worried about.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Good deal on a good guitar. Finish cracks are not uncommon in the neck joint area. As long as the neck isn't moving around etc you're probably OK. Got pics? Both of the whole guitar and the cracks? We like pics. A lot. Congrats!

SylenCommando

Reaction score
Yep Taking pictures now lol, Thanks for the warm welcome and for the fast reply.

BGood

Reaction score
Like Scott said, hard to give an opinion without pics.

I had the same 1998 you are getting, in cherry red. It was a beauty and played great. You'll love it.

01_zps6ez2lajf.jpg

SylenCommando

Reaction score
Hi Paruwi Thanks for the warm welcome, do I need to worry about those cracks on the neck joint?

eS.G.

Reaction score
Welcome Awesome Axe!!!! Congrats

BGood

Reaction score
WOW ! What a nice chunk of wood that is ! Nice intro to Epitalk, welcome.
What does it weight ? Mine was massive at close to 3.8 kilos.

The neck crack. If it stays in tune fine I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm always stunned when I see an almost 20 year old guitar still have factory stickers on it.

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Welcome to EpiTalk Sylen.
Nice looking SG you have there.
As for the cracks, I'd consider them a natural part of the aging process.
As others have said, as long as it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Play it like you stole it, & just check it once in a while.

SylenCommando

Reaction score
ok, I have never owned a epiphone setneck before that's why I asked. I have a set neck charvel LS-1 and it is from 1995 and there are no cracks around the neck joint on that guitar.

SylenCommando

Reaction score
Anyone know what the hardware is on these Chrome or Nickel, I want to order some Schaller strap locks, and I wanted to get the same to match the hardware.

SylenCommando

Reaction score
ok, I looked it up on epiphone wedsite and it says nickel, not sure on mine though since its 17 years old.

IGRocker

Reaction score
Congrats! I don't think even the new Epiphones have nickel hardware... Pretty sure it's all chrome unless it's gold plated

SylenCommando

Reaction score
oh, it looks like chrome to me. What do guys normally upgrade on these? Do they put Gibson branded parts on them or leave them stock?

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Most common upgrade on older Epis are pickups and bridge. Gotoh makes a nice drop in replacement for not too much cash.

IGRocker

Reaction score
The bridge/tailpiece is the only thing I haven't upgraded on mine. I would start with electronics/pickups and the the bridge/tailpiece

Latest posts