2020 Les Paul Custom vs. 2019 standard plus top pro?

• Thread starter Joel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joel

Reaction score
I really like the 2019 les Paul standard plus top pro I have now, but the sound just doesn't seem to be coming thru like I hoped it would. And I just don't seem to be bonding with it.
I have been looking at the new 2020 Les Paul Custom in white. Apparently it has the same pickups as my current standard does.
Can anyone tell me ( other than appearances ) if the new 2020 Les Paul Custom will sound or play any better than the 2019 standard plus top pro I already have?
Yes,,,I know you don't know how the lp I have now plays, and you probably haven't played the new custom either.
I'm asking if the new Les Paul Custom will have any big electronic differences that might be an improvement over my current lp.
One that warrants such a higher price other than looks.
Thanks.

BGood

Reaction score
If you don't like how Probuckers sound, replace them. Buying another guitar with the same pickups won't show any difference, except in your bank account.

But before doing that, did you diligently adjust their height to find their sweet spot. Playing with pickup height, is the most overlooked and efficient mod that can be done on any guitar. And ... it's totally free and satisfying.

Take your screwdriver out and enjoy the experience.

Last edited:

Norton

Reaction score
Can you describe what it is that you’re not digging about the sound of the guitar you have now?

And.... there’s nothing wrong with having a custom AND a plus top standard.

Biddlin

Reaction score
But before doing that, did you diligently adjust their height to find their sweet spot. Playing with pickup height, is the most overlooked and efficient mod that can be done on any guitar
So true. After playing Fenders for years, I got my first modern Gibson with 490 pickups and was ready to toss them until I lowered the neck pu and started back up until it sounded good, then did the same with the bridge and then toyed with them in the middle position until I liked that, too. The Probuckers are articulate PAF clones. And don't forget to use those knobs on the guitar, too. Now here's my probably unpopular opinion, but I like the Alnico Classic pickups a little bit better. The differences are really minor, though.

Joel

Reaction score
Well my thoughts are, after reading about the new customs. Is that they don't have the same wiring as the standards anymore.
My standard has push pull pots. The new customs don't.
At least the Epiphone web site doesn't mention the pull up pots.
So I thought it might have a different sound even though the pups are the same as my standard.

Juke Box

Reaction score
If you don't like how Probuckers sound, replace them. Buying another guitar with the same pickups won't show any difference, except in your bank account

Agreed. If you can't get on with an any electric guitar try a different set of pickups.
If you know nothing about pickups try Seymore Duncans.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Well my thoughts are, after reading about the new customs. Is that they don't have the same wiring as the standards anymore.
My standard has push pull pots. The new customs don't.
At least the Epiphone web site doesn't mention the pull up pots.
So I thought it might have a different sound even though the pups are the same as my standard.

In my experience no two guitars ever sound exactly alike even with the same pickups and wiring. How much of a difference anyone may hear is pretty much an individual thing. In many cases if you believe there will be a difference then you will hear a difference while other may not.

I would suggest that YOU play a 2020 LP Custom and determine for yourself whether or not you prefer it to your 2019 LP Standard. That's really the only way you're gonna know because we can't tell you exactly what your ears may hear or how each feels to you when you play them.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I replaced an Epi LPC's bridge pickup ( 14.09k ohms with) a Dragonfire Vintage Screamer pick up rated at 16.9k ohms.
The old Epi pickup wound up being put in a H, S, H, Tele project and it was heavenly sounding in that guitar.

I have a box of over 25 different pickups ....save'em , one day that pickup could sound better in another guitar.

BB11

Reaction score
My only Epi pickup experience is with P 90’s and USA mini’s. I found on the two P 90 guitars the sound was muted compacted to a gibby P 90. My Sorrento with USA mini’s does not have that issue. Change the pickups if this is your only issue, not sure what you mean by “play better”.

Reaction score
Hi Joel,
I upgraded myEpiphone Les Paul plustop Pro mainly because I had to make a slight repair to the neck ( they break very easily) I upgraded to the new inspired by Gibson Les Paul Classic, and as much as I love Epiphones and I really do, the inspired by Gibson title is pure and utter BS! All they have added is one CTS pot and made the jack plate cover metal oh and a graphtec nut which is a great upgrade.instead of the old plastic ones. To be honest the pickups on mine dont have the same tonal range, and now I have upgraded the wiring on my Plustop pro to 50's wiring with CTS pots and switchcraft toggle and jack, it sounds even better. I firmly believe those probuckers are great and the best I have tried so far, and are built to gibson spec.

I think to help you further we need to know what kind of music are you playing, clean? Distorted? What amp?
IMO the Plustop cant be improved for a guitar of this price range. And newer models are IMO just different paint jobs based on the same foundations.

Whenever I get a new guitar, I unwrap it, make sure it plays without any serious defects , then put it in its case and drop it off at a guitar tech for a setup. It comes back like an even newer guitar, with great action, level dressed frets and great neck alignment.
Hope this helps, like I say not meant to be an Epiphone bashing post.

gillman royce

Reaction score
I really like the 2019 les Paul standard plus top pro I have now, but the sound just doesn't seem to be coming thru like I hoped it would. And I just don't seem to be bonding with it.
I have been looking at the new 2020 Les Paul Custom in white. Apparently it has the same pickups as my current standard does.
Can anyone tell me ( other than appearances ) if the new 2020 Les Paul Custom will sound or play any better than the 2019 standard plus top pro I already have?
Yes,,,I know you don't know how the lp I have now plays, and you probably haven't played the new custom either.
I'm asking if the new Les Paul Custom will have any big electronic differences that might be an improvement over my current lp.
One that warrants such a higher price other than looks.
Thanks.
First, try height adjustments. Next, magnet swaps. Finally, new pups.

Latest posts