'66 Epiphone Century

• Thread starter hanny
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hanny

Reaction score
Hello Mates.

I need a a little advice should I be concern on with back like this on vintage guitar?
Do you think the lines on it are mostly lacquer checking and nothing on the wood?

83850760_10214965068231466_4790988099737878528_n.jpg

Juke Box

Reaction score
I see 2 finish issues but I would ignore those. They could cause trouble if you were selling it but as far as playing it no real concern. I have a guitar 20 yrs old with worse probs and I can't yet tell if it's finish checking or wood cracking. Once I tried to sell it but the store didn't want it. Personally I thought they turned down a good deal.
People have too high an expectation of older guitars and vintage guitars. It's normal for old guitars to look funky. I too would have a high expectation if I was looking at a worn checky finish with a high asking price. However if I already owned it I'd just ignore whether it was a checking or cracking issue until it becomes obvious. You're not at the worry or repair stage if you can't even tell what the actual issue is yet. Take another look at it in two years

Last edited:

hanny

Reaction score
I see 2 finish issues but I would ignore those. They could cause trouble if you were selling it but as far as playing it no real concern. I have a guitar 20 yrs old with worse probs and I can't yet tell if it's finish checking or wood cracking. Once I tried to sell it but the store didn't want it. Personally I thought they turned down a good deal.
People have too high an expectation of older guitars and vintage guitars. It's normal for old guitars to look funky. I too would have a high expectation if I was looking at a worn checky finish with a high asking price. However if I already owned it I'd just ignore whether it was a checking or cracking issue until it becomes obvious. You're not at the worry or repair stage if you can't even tell what the actual issue is yet. Take another look at it in two years
Hey Juke Box,

Thank you for the feedback it has been really helpful to me
I am not the owner of this guitar, yet. I do however would love to buy this '66 Epiphone Century, that's when this picture show up I wanted to know better, because I have no real prior experience with vintage guitar, agree on your view on how people have high expectation. In my case I adore lacquer checking and mojos on guitar... I just needed to know if these are just lacquer checking and it's not affecting the wood.

Thanks Juke Box
It's a pleasure

Juke Box

Reaction score
Hey Juke Box,

Thank you for the feedback it has been really helpful to me
I am not the owner of this guitar, yet. I do however would love to buy this '66 Epiphone Century, that's when this picture show up I wanted to know better, because I have no real prior experience with vintage guitar, agree on your view on how people have high expectation. In my case I adore lacquer checking and mojos on guitar... I just needed to know if these are just lacquer checking and it's not affecting the wood.

Thanks Juke Box
It's a pleasure

I've only bought one vintage guitar and I sunk $800 into it for repairs after I bought it cheap. Just be aware that vintage can be pricey to get them in top shape. It involved a lot of my own labor too. If you're that type of guy it's rewarding but it isn't for everyone. If you're a real busy person don't mess with vintage. Wait till you have extra time on your hands.
If it's 55 yrs old it will have issues even if you don't see them at 1st. That is just the vintage world.

Juke Box

Reaction score
I've only bought one vintage guitar and I sunk $800 into it for repairs after I bought it cheap. Just be aware that vintage can be pricey to get them in top shape. It involved a lot of my own labor too. If you're that type of guy it's rewarding but it isn't for everyone. If you're a real busy person don't mess with vintage. Wait till you have extra time on your hands.
If it's 55 yrs old it will have issues even if you don't see them at 1st. That is just the vintage world. Mine was made in 57 so I set it up to last another 62 years..

Latest posts