An Offer-Up Mystery

• Thread starter TheTexizonian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which do you think happened?

• P-90s replaced by SD Alnicos on a '56 Gold Top reissue

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1999 Neck on a late 2000s Slash

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 5 100.0%

• Total voters

TheTexizonian

Reaction score
A pretty little guitar popped up on OfferUp today. I am scheduled to trade my Gretsch Rancher Jr. for it tomorrow. Here is what it looks like:

The serial number indicates a Feb 1999 build in Saein, Korea. However, that would make this a '56 Gold Top reissue... which typically has P-90 pickups. So, I believe one of two things happened:

1. Previous owner replaced the P-90s with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Humbuckers (best I can tell) or similar.

or

2. Previous owner replaced the neck on a late 2000s Slash with a 1999 Standard.

Which do you think is most likely? Or is there a 3rd option? And what does the "Gibson" truss cover indicate, if anything?

Thanks in advance!

Raiyn

Reaction score
And what does the "Gibson" truss cover indicate, if anything?
Nothing. That was what they did in that time frame.
Also, both the P-90 to humbuckers swap and the neck swap are highly unlikely the neck swap alone is a ridiculous amount of work and humbuckers are too dimensionally dissimilar to P-90's

Last edited:

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
"Other." But it looks nice. Good luck with the trade. Let us know how it plays and sounds.

Welcome.

TheTexizonian

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I looked for quite a while to find the model, never saw the Classic for some reason. I am just looking for a Les Paul to see how I like the sound and feel (My main guitars are a Standard SG and a Baja tele).

Stuart

Reaction score
Welcome aboard Tex...

Nice looking GT :thumb:

Latest posts