Anyone know the pot value for the LP prophecy GX?

3piece

Reaction score
Hi,

Mine have the quick connect system and the block that you push the leads into/ pc board is mounted on top of the (Push/pull) pot so you can't see the back to get the value.

I do see that they are smaller in diameter than the tone pots, which are clearly marked at 500K.

I ask because I can't figure this out. Simply could not make the 496R that I purchased to replace the 490R (which had no personality) that came with it (neck)sound right. No matter what tricks (.01u cap), lowering - just too damn muddy.

So, I figured I'd switch it with the bridge 498T just to see.

Now, the 496R sounds great in the bridge and the 498T sounds like crap in the neck.

My only guess is that the pots are something other than 500K - thus the mud fest. I'm pretty frustrated as I had to insert extra wire in the lead for the 498T because it wasn't long enough to reach. And, with the 'quick connect system' - that means a shit load of micro stripping, soldering, trying to shrink wrap (and in my case screwing up) - yada....

Anyway, sorry to dump my frustration on such a simple question. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Be well.

Cam.man67

Reaction score
Volume pots should be 500k. Just worked on a LP Std Plustop Pro the other day with the same setup and those are definitely 500k. Not to dissuade you, but I find 496Rs to be pretty muddy, regardless of pot value. I can definitely see how they'd work well as a bridge pickup, but I'm not a fan of any of the aforementioned pickups in the neck.

PS-of you want to eliminate mud in the neck, try an SD Jazz.

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Pot value? About as much for an ounce as I used to pay for a pound........
Come to Denver. <$100 an oz out here.

But seriously, the pots are almost certainly 500k.

I say just look for a new pickup, SD Jazz or something like that.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
Come to Denver. <$100 an oz out here.

But seriously, the pots are almost certainly 500k.

I say just look for a new pickup, SD Jazz or something like that.

Really? My middle son lives in Denver & I've been to both med & rec dispensaries with him; that's what I was basing my figure on. I guess it's been too long since I visited.....

As to the rest of your post, I concur.

3piece

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Well, here in CA we'll find out how things shake out soon enough;-)

Appreciate the rec for a neck pickup. Dealing with this stuff can be crazy making.

Be well.

Latest posts