Cheap Guitars

• Thread starter Jim McPherson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eS.G.

Reaction score
I love Lotus guitars lol
My first from back in the 80's
d51fdc48-4d68-43dc-8b83-a599501d2217_zps01c8bcff.jpg

UnsungHeroGuitars

Reaction score
Haha, cool piece / topic
thumbsup.gif

Despite having previously owned some tasty' guitars in terms of price (Musicman JP6, Ibanez Jem 777 etc), I'm very comfortable with 'cheap' guitars
thumbsup.gif

I owned and actually played a Yamaha Pacifica live for a while a couple years back - great fun for what it was and daft at the price really, but an Epiphone Les Paul Standard is another level in that regard. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say that personally, the fact that only Epiphone & Gibson (Orville used to, but not any more) make 'official' Les Pauls carries some real weight for me
yessmiley.gif
Of course, I know that isn't really any guarantee and Paruwi's FGN is beautiful for example (another price bracket up though), but there's just something about the 'official-ness' that makes me warm and fuzzy
biggrin.gif

My first ever electric guitar was a Columbus Les Paul. I dug it out a while back when I first got heavily into the Epis - I was curious to discover whether that old faithful axe which had been laid up in the loft for almost two decades was in fact a great guitar that was merely in need of some tender loving care...
thinking.gif
Well, that was short lived.... it's awful! There's not one single endearing thing about it!
laughing.gif
It's cheap and it's crap!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim McPherson

Reaction score
That is indeed true Jim... but it helps if the thing is useable to begin with
biggrin.gif

True Clive, very true. I really don't like the term "Cheap". I consider Epis just inexpensive. But there are cheap guitars out there and I am ashamed to say I have one. But I just came seem to part with it as it was my first.:naughty:

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
I own four SGs and had a fifth one. The two least expensive ones were and are a G310 and a 1966 G400. The G310 came used from GC with a pair of SD Distortions for $99, and the 1966 was about $200 after shipping with Alnico Classic Pros. I gotta say the tone and playability on both of those guitars is amazing. Bought both to have a cheap guitar to play around with pickups and / or mods etc. Neither need any real work for playability and the pickups in both are so nice I don't wanna change them. OTOH, the Probuckers in my Pelham Blue SG Custom don't really excite me, so if I started swapping pickups it'd probably be there.

Epis make very affordable mod platforms. If you can just get one with some crappier older pickups in it. Maybe I'll keep my eyes open for a 2003-2004 SGs with with white binding on the fret boards...

RTH

Reaction score
I like cheap guitars as well. All of mine are cheap...nothing over the $400 mark. I've owned a couple of fairly expensive basses (Epiphone Expert-6 & Ocean TB-5) both around the $1000 retail mark. They were great, but I sold them for other cheap guitars and such.

I have no problem cheaping out on a good guitar, but the one area that is crucial, IMO, to not be a cheapskate in is the amp department...especially if you record or play live. You just cant.

eS.G.

Reaction score
Well as a crusty Pawn SHop and back alley craigslist "aficionado" .....I am a devotee of "frugal"
PResently I have a "Mainstreet" brand SG sitting beside my desk......maybe 50.00 worth of bolt neck plywood lump.....but ya know what....it is a bunch of fun. its filthy....if it falls over or the cat pisses on it----who cares--- it is a truly STRESS FREE bit of naughty fun.

WIPE IT DOWN after playing BUWAHAHAHAAAAAAA there are 3 years of crust and grime on it----might fall apart if I wash it.
Worry about someone stealing it???? I should be so lucky--- YEs MR> Insurance Man it was a 20007 Gibson SG Special Sir.....mint condition.....CHA CHING! ;)

It tunes, it plays, it holds strings, and the pickups WORK (unlike some brand new Gibsons mentioned on this and other sites) so there ya have it. Big FUN with A crap low end "beginner" guitar. There is a similar analogy about fat girls, and scooters ;)

Darth-Paul

Reaction score
Well as a crusty Pawn SHop and back alley craigslist "aficionado" .....I am a devotee of "frugal"
PResently I have a "Mainstreet" brand SG sitting beside my desk......maybe 50.00 worth of bolt neck plywood lump.....but ya know what....it is a bunch of fun. its filthy....if it falls over or the cat pisses on it----who cares--- it is a truly STRESS FREE bit of naughty fun.

WIPE IT DOWN after playing BUWAHAHAHAAAAAAA there are 3 years of crust and grime on it----might fall apart if I wash it.
Worry about someone stealing it???? I should be so lucky--- YEs MR> Insurance Man it was a 20007 Gibson SG Special Sir.....mint condition.....CHA CHING! ;)

It tunes, it plays, it holds strings, and the pickups WORK (unlike some brand new Gibsons mentioned on this and other sites) so there ya have it. Big FUN with A crap low end "beginner" guitar. There is a similar analogy about fat girls, and scooters ;)

Loved the cat waz bit :rofl:

Darth-Paul

Reaction score
As I've recently found out

Expensive can be cheap Gibson (the model I had - I appreciate one experience on one model does not reflect the entire brand)

Cheap can be expensive (recent experience with Epi Genesis absolute quality but cheap)

In feeling, finish, pups, tuners etc etc

(Also appreciate cheap is relative) (my budget constraints = £500.00 -£1000.00 is expensive - very expensive for me. I realise this won't scratch the surface in a lot of areas)

Hopefully that all makes sense

Last edited:

eS.G.

Reaction score
Dollars and cents (or pounds.......ya'll and your pounds lol) and byt the way how the crap do you figure the STONES thing like I weight 190lbs....er thats pounds.....but how acurate is a stone? Big stones little stones ??/ I mean ALL the ROlling Stones COMBINED don't weigh 190lbs!!! buwahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa

thread......rail........off

apologies to the o.p.

Alty

Reaction score
My first ever electric guitar was a Columbus Les Paul....

Lol....our local shop uses one of those on the shop front as a display, let's say it's proper weathered.

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
:shock::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I saw that the original wasn't there, but it never dawned on me that it didn't have one at all!!

BGood

Reaction score
At the price it was sold, it will never be played again. Can't imagine someone sacrilegiously adding something to that relic.

Latest posts