Conditioning Basswood Composite Fingerboard

Cam

Reaction score
So I'm about to restring my James Bay Century, which has Epiphone's Basswood Composite as opposed to the usual rosewood or ebony, and as a habit I condition the fingerboards of all of my guitars when I restring. Has anyone had experience oiling the composite up? My initial instinct would be to not condition it, and put it in the same camp as Richlite. What are your thoughts? Emailed Epiphone but I imagine I won't get a reply til January cause of Christmas.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
I assume this composite is kind of similar to Richlite,
that means it doesn't soak up anything....
Back then, when I had my Midtown Custom, customer-Service told me just to wipe/clean it with a wettish cloth - and you're done

Raiyn

Reaction score
So I'm about to restring my James Bay Century, which has Epiphone's Basswood Composite as opposed to the usual rosewood or ebony, and as a habit I condition the fingerboards of all of my guitars when I restring. Has anyone had experience oiling the composite up? My initial instinct would be to not condition it, and put it in the same camp as Richlite. What are your thoughts? Emailed Epiphone but I imagine I won't get a reply til January cause of Christmas.
i-dont-know-umwoxm.jpg

You'd think they'd post something on the web.....site...... Oh yeah, they took forever to acknowledge the running change to the composite in the first place....well crud.

I'm interested in the answer to this question as well out of sheer curiosity.

Reactions: Cam

vomer

Reaction score
I'm guessing because I haven't seen one, but anything that says 'composite' would imply some kind of resin binder. In which case, as peeps have already said, it won't take conditioner, or need it. Also curious to hear the answer.

Cam

Reaction score
From Epiphone:

"The fingerboard is stained, but it isn’t coated. Regular lemon oil products will work fine with it."

When I restrung it it didn't look dry enough to oil, so we'll have to wait and see how well it takes it I guess.

Raiyn

Reaction score
From Epiphone:

"The fingerboard is stained, but it isn’t coated. Regular lemon oil products will work fine with it."

When I restrung it it didn't look dry enough to oil, so we'll have to wait and see how well it takes it I guess.
Huh...
My personal choice for fingerboard products is Crimson Guitars Fretboard Cleaner and Restorative
Cleaner-and-Restorative-Set-1.jpg

A bit spendy, but man it's nice stuff. Plenty on YouTube about them.

vomer

Reaction score
lard.jpg

It's a marvellous thing.

I've used lemon oil for years, and recently bought some Fret Doctor to darken a Pau Ferro board. It does have more of a darkening effect than lemon oil. If in doubt, ask the Lard Information Council.

Jay Bones

Reaction score
Personally I use Stew Mac Restoration Oil, which is mineral oil with stain in it.

Lemon oil is nothing but mineral oil with lemon scent.

I always reconend a bottle of generic baby oil. For a buck you'll have a lifetime supply, and (strictly for beginners) if you decide it isn't for you it has other uses.

Latest posts