Decent budget firebird pickups to test the waters

• Thread starter gdvsbp
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gdvsbp

Reaction score
Hi folks. I have a baritone cabronita tele with P90s, and I just do not dig P90s for the guitar. Not percussive enough, a little too indistinct. I'd love to try a set of firebird pickups in there, but I'm having a heck of a time finding anything in my budgetary range. I'm sure a set of $200+ Duncans (or Sundays, or Qs, or Fralins, or Lollars, etc.) would be awesome, but I'm not willing to commit since I've never even tried the pickup type before. That said, the only thing I'm finding are $30 Guitar Madness dealies, or ~$80 Dragonfires. I'm not opposed to either, but I am skeptical that they're actually built with alnico blades. Could just as easily be run of the mill mini hums under that case and I'd have no way of knowing short of opening things up.

(Also, I've been monitoring the used market, but it's basically nonexistent.)

All that to say: does anyone have any experience with the GM or Dragonfire offerings? Or anything else in the sub-$100 zone for a set? I'd very much appreciate any first-hand experience, particularly from someone who's played Good Ones and can compare.

Thanks,

Dan

Latest posts