Decisions decisions... (LP confusion)

• Thread starter Scootermuppet
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Thinking it's about time I got a Les Paul (Epiphone not Gibson) probably won't go new, even though they are reasonably priced, potentially a better model for new money... so what model to get...

Well, Elite / Elitest isn't on the cards, maybe a Limited Edition? Love the Joe Bonamassa ones. Then there's the Ultras, an original Ultra shouldn't be too expensive, right?

Or maybe a standard plus top pro... Ooh, how about a Tribute +?

...:wow:

You can see my dilemma - Help!!! :ohno:

Cam.man67

Reaction score
Too many Les Paul's, too little time.;) do you want the Nanomag or belly contour of the Ultra? If not, weed that model out. Weight relief or no? Maple top or full mahogany?

For my money, the two Epi LPs I would pick are the Standard in Pelham Blue, or a 3-pickup Custom. Both are great, and represent relatively more affordable (used) options in the line.

Eddie

Reaction score
See what's cooking on CL. Get the best value. I think I've put more time on CL than time spent with my kids lately. This is bad.

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Sadly CL is US only, I'm in the UK.

We have a site called gumtree, and the bay of course, but I'm really after people's opinions on the different models?

Cam.man, had looked at the Pelham blue standard as I like the Bonamassa version - apart from the price! think the Standard PB were a limited run, not many about over here....

And can rule out the Custom, don't know what it is, but the middle pickup just doesn't seem right somehow.

Cheers,

Bob

BGood

Reaction score
I'd vote for an Ultra, even only for it's weight relief and belly cut. I'm not found of boat anchor weight in a guitar and I don't understand why belly cuts aren't on all thick guitars. Only Teles and LPs are without.

But ... the Ultras has a slim taper D neck, too thin for me. The simple Ultra only comes in Clown Burst, yuck. The Ultra II comes in black too and the III in more colors. II & III have the Nanomag and III has a pup ring tuner too I think.

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Thanks DrB & Paruwi, recommendations duly noted :)

As for weight, my first LP (a Satellite copy) was made form an old railway sleeper - at least that's what it felt Like! So my memories of that one should mean ANY Epi LP will feel light :D

Have a feeling that there will be as many recommendations as post on this one! I know I'll have to make up my own mind, just hoping to get some insight in to modern LP ownership.

gsmacleod

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with a :jb: - I really like the big chunky neck:

But, I'm also a sucker for a vintage burst so I grabbed a used T+ when I had the chance:

26124300382_76640f5951.jpg

The big difference between the two is neck profile and while I prefer chunky, I have no issues with either.

Shane

Last edited:

StringmanK

Reaction score
The Traditional Pro in my avatar has been a wonderful guitar for me and I like it more and more every time I play it. I find it has better tone than my Gibby SG, and I am finally "getting" why Les Pauls are a thing. One thing a like about it, besides the tone, is the neck. Supposedly it is a "slim taper D" profile, which means absolutely nothing to me, because the neck is thick and chunky (not slim at all). If it had a maple top my quest for a LP would be over. But it doesn't so eventually I will have at least 2 of them. But like always, you have to play at least a few to see if any are "the one". I tried several before I picked mine, and could have spent a few bucks more, but I liked this one.

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Thanks both, Shane, I can't see your T+ picture? Saying it's no longer available?

I think it'll come down to cost in the end, but at least I have the '99 SG 310 I bought for parts to sell on and put towards one - it was too nice to strip it!

Back to ebay to gaze wistfully at all the LPs I guess...

gsmacleod

Reaction score
Thanks both, Shane, I can't see your T+ picture? Saying it's no longer available?

I think it'll come down to cost in the end, but at least I have the '99 SG 310 I bought for parts to sell on and put towards one - it was too nice to strip it!

Back to ebay to gaze wistfully at all the LPs I guess...

Just updated. Not sure what happened there. Good luck with the search!

Shane

IGRocker

Reaction score
The Joe B. models get my vote along with customs of any variety (not all have three pickups, most just have two). Also, the Tribute + is very nice if you like thinner necks.

Latest posts