Digitech is back !!!!

• Thread starter AJ6stringsting
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I 've been a Digitech fanboy, since the early 1990's and loved DOD since the mid 1980's.
Seems like Cort, the new owners of the Digitech brand, has brought back the original designers and engineers that made Digitech great .

Raiyn

Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of their Hardwire branded pedals. The Reverb and Delay are two of the best I've ever owned.
Yeah the Hardwire Delay is a great pedal. It survived my pedalboard rebuild, but the DigiDelay didn't.

It's not that the DigiDelay is a bad pedal - it just didn't fit how I wanted it.
20220918_163725-1-jpg.18809

It also needed a repair. It's not going anywhere though, it seems I do better buying pedals than I do picking stocks.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
It's not going anywhere though, it seems I do better buying pedals than I do picking stocks.

Pedals are tangible stocks aren't. Tougher to project earnings reports than how a certain pedal will sound. But is still not good to lose money on either.

I have four Hardwires The Reverb (which is worth a few bucks these days), the Delay/Looper, and the Phaser and Chorus which are also worth a few bucks. I used to have the Tube OD as well but sold it long ago for twice what I paid for it.

Funny thing is that when I bought them what I paid was nearly give away prices that averaged around $50-$55 each. No one wanted them and dealers were selling them as close outs. Now players have discovered just how good they are and they're in demand again.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Funny thing is that when I bought them what I paid was nearly give away prices that averaged around $50-$55 each.
Same, and that was for "Excellent" examples. Even with the repair job on that DigiVerb (which ethically I would disclose) I'd still double my money on a "Very Good" or "Good" sale.

The Hardwire DL-8 is profit city though.

I'm not going to go through each pedal, but I don't believe any of them have lost money

Swerving back on topic, while it's obvious were going to get deluged with reissues, I hope they come out with new and innovative designs.

Lack of innovation leads to stagnation.

Last edited:

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Somehow Digitech ended up with a bad rap for quality. That was long ago but when they attempted to blow past it with their upgraded Hardwire Series buyers tended to shun those too. I guess that's why so many ended up in the bargain bin or being sold by dealers for cost.

I never owned any Digitech pedals before I bought my first Hardwire which was actually their tuner. It was terrific and cost me all of $50.

Following that I ended up creating an entire board of Hardwires; Reverb, Delay, Chorus, Phaser and the Tube OD. The only one I sold was the OD because I had others I preferred but it is still a good pedal and more popular now than it was when I bought it for $40 and sold it for $70.

IME the RV-7 with it's Lexicon reverbs is one of the best multi-reverb pedals ever made. They list for over $300 now and many of the others sell above their original prices. Glad to hear someone has picked up the line and hopefully will resurrect the brand a bit. I like mine.

Supersonic

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the only Digitech thing I've ever bought is my old RP155 multi-effects unit. I still have it and it works great. It's the only multi-effects thing I own.

Since it was the first time I had used one there was a bit of a learning curve. The little user manual is about half an inch thick but after messing around with it for a couple of hours I did really enjoy it. The looper and some of the cab sims are good and I like that you can use it as a USB interface if you want to.

I rarely use it these days but it was definitely worth the money.

3bolt79

Reaction score
I had a Digitech Brian May pedal. I got rid of it a couple years ago before something could go wrong, as it was 2006 tech. It had the best dual delay at the time that I could find. But eventually I found a Boss DD 200, that pretty much does the same thing.

Equalphone

Reaction score
It will be nice if they bring back some of the classics that are in high demand now. Should be a gimme for them and a constant equity stream to support new development.

Raiyn

Reaction score
It will be nice if they bring back some of the classics that are in high demand now. Should be a gimme for them and a constant equity stream to support new development.
I can hear it now: "They're not as good as the old ones. The old ones had a special chip and..." Blah blah blah.

Glacial level eyeroll.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Yup, nothing like those "old chip" no one can buy any longer. Kinda funny how unobtanium has such a direct influence on vintage pricing. :facepalm:
I don't bother with it. My current board is chock a block with clones, reissues, and kit clones.

Drive signal path:​
Board input jack >> Korg Pitchblack tuner >> Morley Bad Horsie optical wah >> Outlaw Effects Wrangler Compressor >> BYOC Green Pony (Modded Maxon OD-820 clone) >> Chicago StompWorks Moose Pie (EHX Ram's Head Big Muff clone) >> EHX Big Muff Pi Op-Amp (reissue) >> Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion (current production) >> Danelectro Billion Dollar Boost (Boss FA-1 clone) >> Joyo 6 band EQ >> Board output to front of amp.​
Effects loop: Board loop input from amp loop >> Mooer 90 Orange Phaser (gee I wonder who got copied) >> Monoprice Flanger (I've heard Electric Mistress, but who knows) >> Danelectro Filthy Rich Tremolo (based on an amp tremolo patented by Nathan Daniel in 1949) >> BYOC Harmonic Tremolo (Their interpretation of the old highly desirable brown panel Fender amp tremolo circuit) >> BYOC Analog Chorus (Boss CE-2 clone) >> Outlaw Effects Vigilante Chorus >> BYOC Analog Delay (Boss DM-2 clone) >> DigiTech DL-8 Hardwire Digital Delay / Looper >> Mr. Black Mini Reverb >> Fox Pedals K-Buffer (clone of the Klon buffer circuit) >> Board loop output return >> *Optional* Austin Summer Reverb outboard spring reverb effect >> Amp Return​

I can't find info on who Outlaw cloned, but I'm fairly certain they're both clones of something.

Back to my point, clones and reissues clearly don't bother me. Could you imagine how expensive my board (not to mention massive) would be with original pedals?

Last edited:

Equalphone

Reaction score
I can hear it now: "They're not as good as the old ones. The old ones had a special chip and..." Blah blah blah.

Glacial level eyeroll.
Yup, nothing like those "old chip" no one can buy any longer. Kinda funny how unobtanium has such a direct influence on vintage pricing. :facepalm:

But if I set the old one's knobs on 5 / 5 / 8, the new one has to be on 5 / 6 / 8 to get the same sound! When you A/B them back to back you can totally hear that!

Raiyn

Reaction score
But if I set the old one's knobs on 5 / 5 / 8, the new one has to be on 5 / 6 / 8 to get the same sound! When you A/B them back to back you can totally hear that!
98% sure you're joking, but that's a pot tolerance issue not the chip. You'd get that if you A/B'd two old ones produced on the same day - if not worse.

Equalphone

Reaction score
98% sure you're joking, but that's a pot tolerance issue not the chip. You'd get that if you A/B'd two old ones produced on the same day - if not worse.

I know... just trying to highlight the triviality of the complaints about the clones of various overpriced pedals.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
For me, it was mind boggling, how folks looked and still look down on DOD or Digitech.
A few months ago, I was gigging and some guitar players in the audience wanted to get a good look at my pedalboard . They were surprised that I was using old Digitech gear from the 1990's.
One remarked, " I've been told that all Digitech gear was crap , I guess, it not , now ! "
They thought I was using newer gear with modeling, IR's or AI's .
Just like Peavey, Carvin, Dano, Behringer pedals and other companies gear , those companies gear are finally getting their long over due respect .

All it takes is actually trying it out and working to integrate into your playing .
Today's gear, like today's multi effects units, are 70% in the ball park , with the work pretty much all there, out of the box
With older gear you had to build your sounds from scratch .

Last edited:

phonepi

Reaction score
Yes Digitech - I remember well this unit below, the 2101 : it was a craze in the early 90s... My local music shop sold so many ! IIRC, it cost the price of a Strat Plus (you remember, those with Lace Sensors pickups) at that time, so circa the equivalent of 1500-1800E :

1690302068471.png

The Guys where hypnotized and traded out their Vintage Tone-Bender, Phase 90, DOD 250, JEN Cry Baby, Small Stone, Big Muff and their Morley from the chrome-age era... For peanuts, just to get rid and minimize the price to pay for those costy digital racks : nobody wanted that obsolete stuff, but me ! It was before the explosion of the boutique-vintage pedal trend...

But yes : where are all those racks now ? I never see one coming out for sale in our local shop today, and there's a very few sold off on local Craiglists here...

Maybe they did not have THE sound, but they definitively have A sound - the sound of the era, I guess...

T

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Kinda like an Edsel was to be the greatest most advanced sedan we had ever seen. It would make Ford Motors the #1 auto manufacturer in America. Now it's what's an Edsel? :dunno:

Latest posts