Epi Black Beauty ala Jimmy Page

• Thread starter IRG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IRG

Reaction score
Gassing for a black LP Custom, and started looking at the Gibson Jimmy Page model, which I can't afford even if I could find one. Only alternative is the Epiphone B3.

I'm wondering how much it would take to get it close. A gold Bigsby b7/Vibramate is $336 at StewMac, and then I might change some of the pickups, wouldn't mind something a little hotter in the bridge. Change the knobs, not sure what else. Probably would do the wiring the way I want, not necessarily Page all the way here. Could be a fun project. Not a cheap one, unless I went used. Found this thread: http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/his...-jimmy-page-les-paul-custom-black-beauty.html

The owner of this made it look just like Page's Black Beauty. Guess the original was stolen in 1970, don't think it's ever been found either (or maybe it has, I dunno). Here's a pic from the thread, hope this is okay to post.

Anyone do anything similar with an Epiphone B3?

4.jpg

JohnnyGoo

Reaction score
Im goin for a more Neil Young look.started with a unplayed 2005 Epi Les Paul Custom Midnite .gutted it to the wood.aged nickel grovers,DiMarzio aged nickel PAFs,Aged nickel Tonepros tailpiece and bridge.50s wiring,orange drops,CTS pots .now im wantin to use a vibramate with a B7.be like my version of Neil Youngs Old Black.its the geetar in my avitar.although i do like the big black Lester i seen Page playin on TV awhile back.

Reactions: IRG

IRG

Reaction score
Im goin for a more Neil Young look.started with a unplayed 2005 Epi Les Paul Custom Midnite .gutted it to the wood.aged nickel grovers,DiMarzio aged nickel PAFs,Aged nickel Tonepros tailpiece and bridge.50s wiring,orange drops,CTS pots .now im wantin to use a vibramate with a B7.be like my version of Neil Youngs Old Black.its the geetar in my avitar.although i do like the big black Lester i seen Page playin on TV awhile back.

I've looked at this one too in the past, also very cool. Funny in doing some research on the black beauty, fairly amazing at the number of well known players who played a B3, only to have them stolen.

JohnnyGoo

Reaction score
I think the B7 looks tough on a Lester or SG. Might have a little to much string break angle to work good but the Vibramate will raise that break angle up alot.i dont plan on usin the damn thing much anyhow i just love how Neil Youngs Old Black looks.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
If you're looking for a B7/Vibramate, check Reverb.com. There are a bunch of them listed for under $200.

IRG

Reaction score
If you're looking for a B7/Vibramate, check Reverb.com. There are a bunch of them listed for under $200.

I'll definitely check it out. I was surprised by the price increase with the gold version from StewMac, about $100 more than the nickel/chrome ones. Steep price increase.

IRG

Reaction score
I might actually like the Peter Frampton B3 better. I remember when I was younger and he was all the rage, thinking, what a cool guitar. It still is.

Frampton_1.JPG

IRG

Reaction score
Question, if you're going to replace the pickup rings with cream ones, do you buy just two sets, and use the extra neck ring for the middle position?

eS.G.

Reaction score
My Avatar is my Fave.......nothing at any cost has knocked her off yet.
BUT that one you posted IRG ---gorgeous sexy--- Get ya one man!!!

Reaction score
I played a three pickup white Gibson Les Paul Custom for a few years. It looked really cool but I found that I never really used the center pickup (I eventually disconnected it and wired the guitar in the normal fashion) and it frequently seemed to get in the way when I was playing. But they do indeed look cool. I think they look best with chrome or gold covers. I know Frampton's guitar has open coils but the covers just set it off visually. That mix of black and zebra open coils and one gold pickup is just plain too busy visually, IMO.

Darren

Reaction score
A friend sold me an Epi Black custom triple HB for £25 many years ago hahaha what an idiot

Latest posts