Epiphone EO-1

• Thread starter Jayhawk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Reaction score
Hi there. I have a chance to pick up one of these in fairly reasonable shape. Very hard to find any information about this model on the web. Is this a guitar worth going for? If so, any thoughts about what I should look out for? Thanks

Jayhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I've had very little luck finding anything about this model. In another forum someone posted this picture of Shania Twain with the same model. The one I'm looking at has a plain top, but otherwise it is identical. I would ask Shania for advice, but frankly we aren't that close. I'll see the guitar in a day or two, and then decide. My main concern is with the built in pre-amp, If it doesn't work I doubt that a new part is available, and I have no experience with electro acoustics. I don't know if these modules are a standard size and can be swapped.

Thoughts?

1724557152651.png

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome. I've had very little luck finding anything about this model. In another forum someone posted this picture of Shania Twain with the same model. The one I'm looking at has a plain top, but otherwise it is identical. I would ask Shania for advice, but frankly we aren't that close. I'll see the guitar in a day or two, and then decide. My main concern is with the built in pre-amp, If it doesn't work I doubt that a new part is available, and I have no experience with electro acoustics. I don't know if these modules are a standard size and can be swapped.

Thoughts?

View attachment 26965
Due to their age my guess is the preamp it uses is no longer made and repairing it would be difficult. However, most any acoustic/electric will accept a different preamp to replace the stock version. I had a luthier install a Fishman Blender in a Taylor 414ce I once owned.

You don't say how much the seller is asking so it's hard to know what to advise based on that. What we do know is that it's a 100% laminated body including the top. While that may have very little impact on it's amplified sound it can impact it acoustically vs a solid spruce top.

Without ever having played one and with no information readily available on recent sales it's tough to know how to advise you other than to suggest that I would only be interested if the price was very low.

Charles Carter

Reaction score
I missed out on one of those in a local auction last year and have been kicking myself ever since.

Jayhawk

Reaction score
Well, it's water under the bridge now. I was out of town when the listing appeared, and by the time I got back it was gone. I never did see it, but from the picture it was quite impressive. Slightly arched back and top, really nice binding on the fretboard, and I especially liked the shape of the headstock and the inlay. Not sure I'll ever get a chance to see another one, but If I do...

Capt. Crunch

Reaction score
Hi there. I have a chance to pick up one of these in fairly reasonable shape. Very hard to find any information about this model on the web. Is this a guitar worth going for? If so, any thoughts about what I should look out for? Thanks
Unless that guitar is under $100 don't buy it.

Latest posts