Epiphone Les Paul Custom Informaion please

Shelley McPharlin

Reaction score
Epiphonefront.jpg I have recently aquired an Epiphone Les Paul Custom. It's a double cutaway. I am fairly sure it was made in the 90's but other than that I can find absolutely no info about it. i.e. Where was it made? Is there a place to find specs on it? Here is the serial # 199011390. I sure would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks! I have included a pic as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

John

Reaction score
Welcome in Shelley and beautiful LP it is.

TimTheViking

Reaction score
OK, now I'm confused. I thought a Les Paul was the model with the specific single cutaway shape designed by Les Paul and originally produced by Gibson and then Epiphone and then et al. I looked at the picture and thought, "that's not a Les Paul, it's an SG." But the truss rod cover and scratch plate both say Les Paul. Someone could have put a different truss rod cover on it but not the scratch plate. Can someone enlighten me?

Biddlin

Reaction score
Can someone enlighten me?
In 1961, Gibson "updated" the traditional single-cutaway Les Paul to a sleek new double-cutaway design, Les hated the design so it was called the SG Standard after 1962..

John

Reaction score
In 1961, Gibson "updated" the traditional single-cutaway Les Paul to a sleek new double-cutaway design, Les hated the design so it was called the SG Standard after 1962..
Exactly why Les Paul's wife Mary Ford played it and not Les. She loved that guitar.

TimTheViking

Reaction score
Never knew that, thanks. I also went to Wikipedia. So then would this be considered a reissue of a '61-'63 Les Paul Custom?

Biddlin

Reaction score
So then would this be considered a reissue of a '61-'63 Les Paul Custom?
Yup. I chased one with a branded Maestro a couple of years ago, until the bidding got too rich for my blood.

TimTheViking

Reaction score
I've never played an SG but according to Wiki, more SGs have been sold than Les Pauls. I never would have guessed that.

John

Reaction score
I wouldn't have expected that either.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I've never played an SG but according to Wiki, more SGs have been sold than Les Pauls. I never would have guessed that.
I wouldn't have expected that either.
The Les Paul was actually discontinued between 1961-'68 due to low sales. The SG has remained in continuous production since it was introduced.

Latest posts