Epiphone Telecaster Too Ex$pen$ive!!

• Thread starter Steven Westberg
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Westberg

Reaction score
Epiphone Telecaster, I wanted one of these after I saw them. But, they are in the $400.00 to $900 range. I can think of a half a dozen really good guitars in that range, of all ages. I was going to build one but each kit had some kind of crappy thing in the parts, and they were a little expensive. So for about $45 more bucks I decided on a Harley Benton copy. I already have a Fender Modern Player, in black.
So, in honor of the guy who hates black guitars I got a natural wood finish. I asked the German guy if this guitar was any good. He said, “ ist güt “ and “you vill like dis guitar.” Ok. “So, very well, mit second day air shipping ist $225” All the way to California from Germany? “Jah.” Ok. Send it.
JahVol”21818FC9-7F57-45E5-9685-F63E0FFEB153.jpeg

Passing time in lock down...”I GOT BLISTERS ON ME FINGERS!!” Gimme something different to finger and stare at!
Does anyone have a Harley Benton guitar? I read that it could be perfect as is or it could need some fret smoothing and setup. Wilkinson pick ups? Same bridge as my electric slide so that’s good. Plastic nut I think. But I can put in a TUSQ nut. $12.
I’ll know more soon it is here on Monday.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
I have a TE-90 QM - like this but a less figured body. It was about $230 to my door. Now it's $225 before shipping. Terrific guitar. I don't know how they make a guitar with bound f-holes and metal knobs for that price.

upload_2021-1-14_15-47-22.png

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
I don't know how they make a guitar with bound f-holes and metal knobs for that price.

ordering a complete container with a few hundred of the same model directly from the chinese factory, that offers the cheapest price and cutting all other costs for distributors.....

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I've read very few negative reviews from those who've bought any HB model. In fact there is one LP style with humbuckers that has my interest right now.

IMHO the usual caveats with any lower priced import apply like "may need some fretwork", "don't like pickups", "nut needs to be recut" so some are a 10 out of the box, other a 6-7, and a few will be rejected. Those are the ones that bother me.

It has to be a major PIA to ship a guitar back to Germany unless Thomann is willing to arrange a pickup for the buyer and will immediately ship a replacement. I have no problem at all buying imports but buying from a dealer in Europe concerns me.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
And their marketing budget must be close to zero.

I don't think......
thomann has his fingers behind some websites you'll never think about,

they are paying the server bills for the biggest music related forum over here,
they pay for a lot of sweepstakes,
they pay for 'influencers' like 'EytschPi 42'
they pay for or even own the 'gear-news' site

this german forum is infiltrated with fanboys,
a random guy is asking about getting back to guitar, it takes less than 10 posts to suggest HarleyBenton guitars, regardless if the random guy asks for guitars with some known names or not

if you type the word 'Fender' it is linked to their shop-site....
that's why many just type '7ender'

Dennie

Reaction score
Epiphone Telecaster, I wanted one of these after I saw them. But, they are in the $400.00 to $900 range. I can think of a half a dozen really good guitars in that range, of all ages. I was going to build one but each kit had some kind of crappy thing in the parts, and they were a little expensive. So for about $45 more bucks I decided on a Harley Benton copy. I already have a Fender Modern Player, in black.
So, in honor of the guy who hates black guitars I got a natural wood finish. I asked the German guy if this guitar was any good. He said, “ ist güt “ and “you vill like dis guitar.” Ok. “So, very well, mit second day air shipping ist $225” All the way to California from Germany? “Jah.” Ok. Send it.
JahVol”View attachment 13648

Passing time in lock down...”I GOT BLISTERS ON ME FINGERS!!” Gimme something different to finger and stare at!
Does anyone have a Harley Benton guitar? I read that it could be perfect as is or it could need some fret smoothing and setup. Wilkinson pick ups? Same bridge as my electric slide so that’s good. Plastic nut I think. But I can put in a TUSQ nut. $12.
I like that!
It has a very smooth and clean look.
I always wanted a Telecaster but for some reason never bought one.

I’ve been shopping for one online now the last several months. Seems like there’s almost too many choices.

I played a half dozen at my music store mostly Squires and Classic vibes and they were ok but not really what I’m looking for.

I didn’t realize Epiphone made a Telecaster. I’ll need to check that out.

I like many of the Fender models. I thought the Fender Parallel Universe Tele was interesting but with humbucker pups it didn’t really seem like a telecaster.

I’ll keep looking for now but your Tele is nice.

Steven Westberg

Reaction score
I don't think......
thomann has his fingers behind some websites you'll never think about,

they are paying the server bills for the biggest music related forum over here,
they pay for a lot of sweepstakes,
they pay for 'influencers' like 'EytschPi 42'
they pay for or even own the 'gear-news' site

this german forum is infiltrated with fanboys,
a random guy is asking about getting back to guitar, it takes less than 10 posts to suggest HarleyBenton guitars, regardless if the random guy asks for guitars with some known names or not

if you type the word 'Fender' it is linked to their shop-site....
that's why many just type '7ender'
Wow I actually had the vaguest notion in my skull, “isn’t Thomann like the Euro guys that bought the blue meth in “breaking bad”?seriously though I actually searched a long time and was probably lead there by a internet algorithm that swirls eventually to Harley Benton. I had never actually heard of them until a week ago. But I did notice the ominous way Thomann/Benton kept floating up on searches. Hmmm well if the axe chops ok I won’t feel duped. The Epiphone clone was to rich for my blood because of the vintage age of them.

You must have started reading my post saying, “oh no...” to yourself. I promise I am not a fan boy. I like the wood and didn’t want to do a build. There were some bad reviews but not many and the service dept got rave reviews for fixing issues.
Come on Dieter! Pick a good one from the stock!

Steven Westberg

Reaction score
ordering a complete container with a few hundred of the same model directly from the chinese factory, that offers the cheapest price and cutting all other costs for distributors.....
Walmart does that here.

Steven Westberg

Reaction score
I've read very few negative reviews from those who've bought any HB model. In fact there is one LP style with humbuckers that has my interest right now.

IMHO the usual caveats with any lower priced import apply like "may need some fretwork", "don't like pickups", "nut needs to be recut" so some are a 10 out of the box, other a 6-7, and a few will be rejected. Those are the ones that bother me.

It has to be a major PIA to ship a guitar back to Germany unless Thomann is willing to arrange a pickup for the buyer and will immediately ship a replacement. I have no problem at all buying imports but buying from a dealer in Europe concerns me.
I read they do what it takes. Sometimes sending a different neck or even a whole new guitar. But I get the point it’s a factory output lottery. I’m an ok luthier so I can fix it if I have to but I am trusting not to have to.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I read they do what it takes. Sometimes sending a different neck or even a whole new guitar. But I get the point it’s a factory output lottery. I’m an ok luthier so I can fix it if I have to but I am trusting not to have to.

That's why having some ability and a willingness to deal with some of the minor issue we may encounter ourselves make HB an attractive option.

I have 3 Epiphones. Two were purchased used. Other than installing a Faber bridge on my Gold Top none have needed a lick of work. Epiphones and G&L Tributes are my two most trusted import brands.

Ordinarily I'd look to Epiphone for another LP but HB has a couple of models I really like. GFS also has a Xaviere that also caught my eye and I'm willing to roll the dice with one of them when the time is right.

Steven Westberg

Reaction score
That's why having some ability and a willingness to deal with some of the minor issue we may encounter ourselves make HB an attractive option.

I have 3 Epiphones. Two were purchased used. Other than installing a Faber bridge on my Gold Top none have needed a lick of work. Epiphones and G&L Tributes are my two most trusted import brands.

Ordinarily I'd look to Epiphone for another LP but HB has a couple of models I really like. GFS also has a Xaviere that also caught my eye and I'm willing to roll the dice with one of them when the time is right.
All the vids I saw there was little or no set up. So I am vastly hopeful!

Apocalypse1000

Reaction score

Apocalypse1000

Reaction score

Old Woody

Reaction score
Wow I actually had the vaguest notion in my skull, “isn’t Thomann like the Euro guys that bought the blue meth in “breaking bad”?seriously though I actually searched a long time and was probably lead there by a internet algorithm that swirls eventually to Harley Benton. I had never actually heard of them until a week ago. But I did notice the ominous way Thomann/Benton kept floating up on searches. Hmmm well if the axe chops ok I won’t feel duped. The Epiphone clone was to rich for my blood because of the vintage age of them.

You must have started reading my post saying, “oh no...” to yourself. I promise I am not a fan boy. I like the wood and didn’t want to do a build. There were some bad reviews but not many and the service dept got rave reviews for fixing issues.
Come on Dieter! Pick a good one from the stock!

Yeah todays budget guitar may be tomorrow's hot item. I bought a Black Dan Electro in the 1990's for $200 and loved that guitar it later was renamed the Jimmy Page model by greedy sellers when the asking price for the Korean made models were going for about $600 six years later. ( I'm amazed JP never sued) but the point is demand sets the value.

dasherf17

Reaction score

Excuse my ignorance...Epiphone's making Fenders now?

Latest posts