Favorite Speaker and Why?

• Thread starter Töñə ÇH@$əR
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Töñə ÇH@$əR

Reaction score
Blackstar HT 40 sounds sweet but gain channel isnt as dynamic as id like. they come with a celestion 70/80. its just missing something. considering a vintage 30 or a creamback. any input is highly appreciated

BGood

Reaction score
New amp ? These particular speaker need some play hours to give their best. If they chose that 70/80 it is probably for what tone they were aiming at. The 70/80 is often used in modelers, it is one of very versatile speaker. Maybe look at what other speakers are used in other Blackstar amps ?

The amp seem to have quite a wide range of tonal adjustment. I would play with the mids tone knob to shape something different.

If not, look at some shootouts, there are dozens on YouTube. The selection of a speaker is something very personal.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
My favorites tend to come from the Eminence farm. I have a Wizard, a CRex, and a JS1250. Why is simply that I like them and the fact they typically cost less than imported models.

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score
I've tended to favor v30s over the years just because I like that type of sound. However, V30s have a fairly pronounced mid range that some people don't like (but can also be fixed through mic placement). I know it's different when you're listening to it directly in front of you vs. behind a set of monitors.

In addition to what BGood said, if you're facing your speaker, also think about the angle at which you're listening. Your ears are your mics. Irrespective of the speaker, standing above your cab at a 45 degree angle sounds very different than standing perpendicular to the cone. A lot of people with combos tend to be listening to the cab at a 45 degree - which is actually quite nice because you don't the harsh trebles straight at your face. But if you do want a bit more fizz/treble, sometimes tilting the cab up towards yourself might give you a bit more of that back. Of course, if you want to spend the money and play with speakers, that's a huge rabbit hole to go down - but it does significantly change your tone.

*EDIT* btw, this is all assuming you're not recording. If you're recording, you'd want to have a few different cabs (or these days, go with IRs) and experiment.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
Celestion speakers have always been my favorite guitar speakers.
I was first introduced to them in Marshall cabinets and later on in combos.

I have always found Celestions to be harmonically rich speakers with a pleasing sound through the mids and top end and a rounded bottom end that is not overbearing.

I also think that no matter what the speaker, the magnets are just as important as the brand of speaker.

Lesser quality speakers skimp on the magnets they use and it just ruins your sound IMO.

Good speakers have a sizable magnet that can reproduce great note definition and attack. :)

Pat

Last edited:

phonepi

Reaction score
There are numerous speakers that I like and some that I don't... The problem with speakers is that most of the time you have to buy them to test them !

------Those that I consider being "the best" - at least about tonal range :

* The Eminence ME12-100PE8, now continued under the name LEGEND 1218 : deep and smooth sounding, cutting through the mix but still unaggressive.

* The Celestion G12M GreenBack : similar to the LEGEND 1218, a bit less deep, a tad more bite when overdriven.

* The ElectroVoice EVM12L : large voicing, big sound, high efficiency on all the range, the speaker who never say "no, I can't". An anvil !

* The Altec 417-8H : the Carlos Santana tone, that violin-like lead and feedback of Devadip. A vise !

------Those that I consider "unsatisfactory" in term of tone :

° The Jensen P12R and C12Q : mid-scooped, little bass, piercing highs...

* The Jensen C12K : as powerful and efficient as aggressive.

* Many Celestions and Fane productions, which are way too "Rock-aggressive" too much "in-your-face" to my ears.

Of course, all this is based on my personal use and perception of the speaker, and is in no way any form of generalization. I'm sure, for example, that there are Jensen speaker that would be fine for me - thinking about P12N or C12N models, maybe - among others !

P

Last edited:

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of V30s that came w/two Ampeg 1x12 cabs I bought for less than the speaker costs retail. Those are what I replaced with the Emi JS-1250 (the Josh Smith signature model) and a Brit voiced Wizard which is tonally equivalent to a Celestion G12 H30. Both play much better with my single coil pickups.

My BC60 has a CRex that I use in place of it's stock speaker which was a cross between a V30 and a Greenback. The highs were too shrill with the stock speaker and the CRex took care of that. Hemp cone speakers are known for their smooth balanced smoky tonality. Great subs for an overly bright icy sounding amp.

Keefoman

Reaction score
Celestion speakers have always been my favorite guitar speakers.
I was first introduced to them in Marshall cabinets and later on in combos.

I have always found Celestions to be harmonically rich speakers with a pleasing sound through the mids and top end and a rounded bottom end that is not overbearing.

I also think that no matter what the speaker, the magnets are just as important as the brand of speaker.

Lesser quality speakers skimp on the magnets they use and it just ruins your sound IMO.

Good speakers have a sizable magnet that can reproduce great note definition and attack. :)

Pat
There are quite a lot of different Celestion speakers with different tonal characters.

I find it to depend a lot on the amp.

My '66 JTM 45 clone, I like very much with Greenbacks in a 2x12 open back cab. My '83 JCM 800 with V30s in a 4x12 closed cab. The '69 Super Reverb has its original CTS Alnicos in it, and that is a major thing as I understand it. I haven't tried other speakers with that amp, but it sounds brilliant, so I don't have the need to try any others.

I don't have much experience with different speakers with the Marshall amps either, but I did have a cab loaded with Celestion G12-75 that was ok with both Marshalls, but I ended up with those described above. I've also of course played the JCM 800 with the Greenback cab and the JTM 45 with the V30 cab. Not the same...

One also need to take into consideration that speakers change character when used. Most will argue that they sound better, the more use they get, as long as you don't blow them, of course...

Töñə ÇH@$əR

Reaction score
New amp ? These particular speaker need some play hours to give their best. If they chose that 70/80 it is probably for what tone they were aiming at. The 70/80 is often used in modelers, it is one of very versatile speaker. Maybe look at what other speakers are used in other Blackstar amps ?

The amp seem to have quite a wide range of tonal adjustment. I would play with the mids tone knob to shape something different.

If not, look at some shootouts, there are dozens on YouTube. The selection of a speaker is something very personal.
no, its 5 years old. i bought it used less than a year ago. its just lacking clarity and something else i cant put my finger on

Töñə ÇH@$əR

Reaction score
There are quite a lot of different Celestion speakers with different tonal characters.

I find it to depend a lot on the amp.

My '66 JTM 45 clone, I like very much with Greenbacks in a 2x12 open back cab. My '83 JCM 800 with V30s in a 4x12 closed cab. The '69 Super Reverb has its original CTS Alnicos in it, and that is a major thing as I understand it. I haven't tried other speakers with that amp, but it sounds brilliant, so I don't have the need to try any others.

I don't have much experience with different speakers with the Marshall amps either, but I did have a cab loaded with Celestion G12-75 that was ok with both Marshalls, but I ended up with those described above. I've also of course played the JCM 800 with the Greenback cab and the JTM 45 with the V30 cab. Not the same...

One also need to take into consideration that speakers change character when used. Most will argue that they sound better, the more use they get, as long as you don't blow them, of course...
these blackstars have a marshall vibe. id like to brighten up the cleans

Töñə ÇH@$əR

Reaction score

It seems that there's a difference (improvement) in the current crop of V30's which is being denied / passed off as better QC. Glenn does the frequency response graphs to show the difference even though it's audible.

im glad u showed me his channel. his content is not only cool but useful

Töñə ÇH@$əR

Reaction score
There are numerous speakers that I like and some that I don't... The problem with speakers is that most of the time you have to buy them to test them !

------Those that I consider being "the best" - at least about tonal range :

* The Eminence ME12-100PE8, now continued under the name LEGEND 1218 : deep and smooth sounding, cutting through the mix but still unaggressive.

* The Celestion G12M GreenBack : similar to the LEGEND 1218, a bit less deep, a tad more bite when overdriven.

* The ElectroVoice EVM12L : large voicing, big sound, high efficiency on all the range, the speaker who never say "no, I can't". An anvil !

* The Altec 417-8H : the Carlos Santana tone, that violin-like lead and feedback of Devadip. A vise !

------Those that I consider "unsatisfactory" in term of tone :

° The Jensen P12R and C12Q : mid-scooped, little bass, piercing highs...

* The Jensen C12K : as powerful and efficient as aggressive.

* Many Celestions and Fane productions, which are way too "Rock-aggressive" too much "in-your-face" to my ears.

Of course, all this is based on my personal use and perception of the speaker, and is in no way any form of generalization. I'm sure, for example, that there are Jensen speaker that would be fine for me - thinking about P12N or C12N models, maybe - among others !

P
thanks for laying it out like that. everybody on the gear page demanded i name my genre lol. they were rudely adament about it. i just want clarity and dynamics

Töñə ÇH@$əR

Reaction score
i

i saw a video where a guy got (what he said to be) killer tone by putting a V30 in the same identical amp as mine. i just wanted to see what u guys say.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
i

i saw a video where a guy got (what he said to be) killer tone by putting a V30 in the same identical amp as mine. i just wanted to see what u guys say.
It's what I was going to suggest. It would seem to take you in the direction you want to go. FWIW I believe Celestion offers much better speakers than the 70/80 but those end up in many amps as the OEM stock speaker due to their lower cost. Less costly speakers is how Amp mfgs keep prices in check to hit a certain price point.

You can also look to Eminence and Warehouse Speakers for Brit voiced US made equivalents of Celestions. The Emi Governor is their take on a V30 and for Warehouse speakers it's their Veteran 30. Both are also excellent versions of a Celestion V30 albeit not all that much less costly.

And you already seem to be aware of the need to go through a period of breaking any speaker in so I won't cover that again. Happy hunting.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
So much to say on that, so little time.
Aw go ahead. I won't even censor you. :rofl:

That's one site I venture into only when hunting for info that's already been posted. Otherwise as far as being one big happy family that's only true if compared to Mafia families or Latino gangs during a turf war.

Latest posts