Gigging a Katana

• Thread starter Raiyn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Why not gig one? I had a 100w Katana head just like the one he's holding. At a full 100w it's louder than the grand opening of hell. But I could also cut back on it's power output to 50w or even .5W.

It sounds good, the selection of BOSS effects is massive, and it has four separate amp type settings and an acoustic/electric setting. There's a lot of amp there for the money and it was always trouble free.

So why did I sell it?

Too old school I guess. I was only using a fraction of what it was capable of and I preferred my Egnater Tweaker with fewer options but all of them more useful for me. Some amps are just a better fit.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Why not gig one?
As a former owner of a MK1 50W combo, and an avowed Solid State guy? I see no reason not to.

Too old school I guess. I was only using a fraction of what it was capable of and I preferred my Egnater Tweaker with fewer options but all of them more useful for me. Some amps are just a better fit.
Similar reason as to why I moved on to the Nextone Special. I wasn't using the effects and the ability to mimic other types of amps was appealing.

Equalphone

Reaction score
Sure, why not?

The only issue I see is that you really need a computer or an Ipad to access many of the Kantana features. So if you need to do detailed EQ for the venue, and you always do, you are out of luck without one. Maybe you could use the standard amp EQ to get close enough for government work.

The other issue is that if you need a couple amp models switched quickly, like within a song, you need the footswitch.

Raiyn

Reaction score
The other issue is that if you need a couple amp models switched quickly, like within a song, you need the footswitch.
You're talking about switching amp models mid song and worrying about a laptop in the same post?

Just checking.

Obviously, dude in the video had zero issues with any of that, but he's no stadium star.

Last edited:

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Sure, why not?

The only issue I see is that you really need a computer or an Ipad to access many of the Kantana features. So if you need to do detailed EQ for the venue, and you always do, you are out of luck without one. Maybe you could use the standard amp EQ to get close enough for government work.

All at least somewhat doable by using the memory slots to set up different amp models and effects for them. A footswitch would make swapping presets easier but it can be done without one.

But you're right. To update firmware or get into altering the standard parameters you do need to access them via a computer of some sort.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Similar reason as to why I moved on to the Nextone Special. I wasn't using the effects and the ability to mimic other types of amps was appealing.
Yup, that one was designed around a little more traditional approach using TubeLogic technology to emulate the different power tube types and circuits. It's an amazing approach to amp design and build.

The Tweaker is capable of it too but to do it perfectly I'd need to swap in the appropriate power tubes for each amp type; 6v6s or 6L6s for the Fender settings, EL84s for the VOX, and EL34s for the Marshall.

I've run mine with 6v6s and the 5881s that are in there now since they're much the same as a 6L6GT but with a little lower output and they match the cathode biasing almost perfectly in that amp.

I did try some EL34s for use with the Marshall settings and it does help nail that sound more accurately. The only thing I haven't done is run EL84s for the VOX because I'd need yellow jacket adapters to do it.

3bolt79

Reaction score
I had a Katana MK II 50 watt 1x12. The Dual Delay was better than the Boss DD 200 I am using now, and was just as good as the Digitech Brian May pedal that I used to have. I will get the 100 watt next time with the foot switch. And, the Effects Loop. I just need to make room for it.

Equalphone

Reaction score
All at least somewhat doable by using the memory slots to set up different amp models and effects for them. A footswitch would make swapping presets easier but it can be done without one.

But you're right. To update firmware or get into altering the standard parameters you do need to access them via a computer of some sort.

Yeah... but I was thinking more that you have 66 pedals and three EQ's along with other controls available through the computer. On the panel, you get six effects that Boss chose for you to use. Likewise with the amp models: The ones on the knob (six or twelve Mark I vs. Mark II) are things Boss chose for you. But the panel storage can have four or eight amps set up through BTS. Switching those on the fly requires a foot pedal.

I could gig with 8 amp/effect/settings models pre-stored with foot switch access.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Yeah... but I was thinking more that you have 66 pedals and three EQ's along with other controls available through the computer. On the panel, you get six effects that Boss chose for you to use. Likewise with the amp models: The ones on the knob (six or twelve Mark I vs. Mark II) are things Boss chose for you. But the panel storage can have four or eight amps set up through BTS. Switching those on the fly requires a foot pedal.

I could gig with 8 amp/effect/settings models pre-stored with foot switch access.
That's what the patch slots are for. There are so many patches out there from Boss and 3rd parties (shout out to Juca Nery)
You're not even limited to the preset effects on the knobs. Hell on my MK1 Katana with only the first update I subbed out the default OD for something I forgot because I just used the first version of my pedalboard.

With the new rig, sure I might change the installed base amp patches using the laptop or I can dial something up with the fleet of knobs.

20230831_163840.jpg
+
1642278047818.jpg
+
20220421_112848.jpg
=
7z1x83.jpg

Noodling Guitars

Reaction score

I've always thoguht of getting one, but don't have the space for another combo at home and I'm kind of with you on the use case for this one. When I was still gigging for backing bands, I made the switch over to floorboards really quickly because the producer I was working with just needed me to be able to recreate sounds from whatever artist we were doing the gig for. So getting tones I liked was never part of the equation - rather, having the ability to program lots of tones for each song and cycling through them smoothly through a gig was more important. I used one of the older boss ones and eventually ended up with a line 6 one, but the way we did it was to program every single change in the entire set sequentially (so if, throughout the set, there were 100 changes, I'd have 100 patches, even if some were duplicate) and just cycled through them one by one. That reduces almost all risk of errors during the set. But as you alluded to earlier, sometimes I do need to tweak a few things here and there to suit the venue and w/o a laptop that'd be difficult.

Nowadays, though, I would't mind using this since I've devolved to using no effects (or very few) and just rawk out on a gain channel lol. :rofl:

Equalphone

Reaction score
I've always thoguht of getting one, but don't have the space for another combo at home and I'm kind of with you on the use case for this one. When I was still gigging for backing bands, I made the switch over to floorboards really quickly because the producer I was working with just needed me to be able to recreate sounds from whatever artist we were doing the gig for. So getting tones I liked was never part of the equation - rather, having the ability to program lots of tones for each song and cycling through them smoothly through a gig was more important. I used one of the older boss ones and eventually ended up with a line 6 one, but the way we did it was to program every single change in the entire set sequentially (so if, throughout the set, there were 100 changes, I'd have 100 patches, even if some were duplicate) and just cycled through them one by one. That reduces almost all risk of errors during the set. But as you alluded to earlier, sometimes I do need to tweak a few things here and there to suit the venue and w/o a laptop that'd be difficult.

Nowadays, though, I would't mind using this since I've devolved to using no effects (or very few) and just rawk out on a gain channel lol. :rofl:

I did sort of the same thing, but not nearly as professionally.

A song would be one patch number on my modeler. The song section variations would be banks 1, 2, 3 on that patch#.

With features like Boss's BTS Librarian on a computer they could all be stored in patch lists too. So I could potentially swap patch lists for the songs that night/set if needed.

But playing on my own the last few years, most of the patches are guitar targeted: A moderately clean patch for the SG, one for the LP, one for the Single coils. The banks on each patch are variations with more gain, maybe a pedal selection, etc. There are additional patches for higher gain amps, etc. I can set up and floor switch four or five pedal effects on/off if I want them for any bank (rarely do).

I could make do with the Kantana and eight switchable patches for an abbreviated version of the above. I need the computer to set them up though i.e. I can't easily get a Clean Twin sound or a Soldano out of a Kantana without a computer to load a patch for that. Might need a couple actual pedals to make it work seamlessly at a gig with no computer.

Equalphone

Reaction score
You're talking about switching amp models mid song and worrying about a laptop in the same post?

Just checking.

Obviously, dude in the video had zero issues with any of that, but he's no stadium star.

Yes, switching amp models. No to using a laptop during a set. But I definitely believe you need it for setup beforehand to build models and then likely again setting up at the gig. You can't tweak global EQ otherwise. Beforehand, you can't chose which of those 66 effects pedals you even want assigned to the amp.

"Why isn't my guitar/amp that sounded so great in the bedroom cutting through with the band in the bar?". I suppose you can just twist the EQ knobs then and roll with that.

You need to switch something mid song to play a lead, etc. The footswitch can make that happen. Turning knobs or pushing button on an amp mid song isn't practical. Or at least it isn't easy unless you build one of those Neil Young contraptions.

Darkness

Reaction score
My buddy recently picked up the Line 6 Helix, I helped him get the software started on it and figure out how it works. That's a vast playground, I had a good laugh when I saw the amp/cabinet models that they don't have licensing for too. Names like "Soup Pro" don't leave much to wonder about. If the smaller models do similar I may look into one someday, I just can't throw $1700 at tones anytime soon.

He has a Katana as well, that's a lot of fun and should be plenty of sounds to gig with. After playing with both of them I need to connect my Vox 40 to the computer and see what can be done with it, I have the 8 channel stomper for it already.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Yes, switching amp models. No to using a laptop during a set.
I don't have this, because I don't need it.

ga-fc_top_main.jpg

• Switch instantly between four channels and two routes of loops, reverbs, boost settings, etc.
  • Simultaneously connect two expression pedals* for realtime control of volume and drive

Compatible products: Blues Cube Artist, Blues Cube Artist212, Blues Cube Tour, KATANA-100 MkII, KATANA-100/212 MkII, KATANA-HEAD MkII, KATANA-Artist MkII, Acoustic Singer Pro, Acoustic Singer Live, Nextone Artist, Nextone Stage, Nextone Special, WAZA Tube Amp Expander

*EV-5, FV-500L, and FV-500H are available as optional expression pedals for the GA-FC.
If you need more, that's when the laptop comes in.

Stage banter?

Darkness

Reaction score
Just don't use the cab sims into a cab. That sounds like đź’© The sims are for piping into a desk or PA (speaker... Not power amp)
We ran the line out to his old school sound board and through his PA and two giant older speakers. Feels like you could have a Marty McFly moment when its cranked.

We did run it on his Katana like a pedal to make sure it worked, but at pretty low volume. It took us a little while to get it working right on his full rig.

Raiyn

Reaction score
You can use it like that.

Generally, the preferred method for an amp is through the effects loop to bypass the preamp.

Remember when there's a cab, don't use the cab sim as they'll fight.

Latest posts