Guitar Cases

• Thread starter SylenCommando
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SylenCommando

Reaction score
I just wanted to ask here in the forums if anyone here uses a normal rectangle case for their Les Pauls or SG's and if they had problems with the guitar fitting properly. I have a case and the guitar wont lye down flat because the neck support and storage compartment are to high. I really don't want to buy a new case just for an SG as I already have a case only issue is the guitar not lying flat. Here's pictures of the SG in the case. I am just wondering if there was any way of modding it. I have searched google with no results.

UmtXKqS.jpg

pTdJY44.jpg

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
If you're gonna keep the case, you might try putting some foam (like an old couch cushion) from side to side under the neck joint area.
Just a cheap, easy fix. Cut it a little thicker than what you need, for compression.
If you want to get fancy, you can lift the 'carpet', & build a 'ramp'. Though this will probably leave the 'carpet a bit short when reinstalling.

SylenCommando

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I was thinking of either removing the neck rest and cutting it to make it shorter and removing the storage area, or removing it all. I want to keep the case, I see no point of spending $150 bucks on a SG style case as I think that would be a waste of money since I already have a good case to use.

MarkB

Reaction score
I'm with DPaul, I'd slit the carpet along the bottom edge and slide in a sheet of upholstery foam. reversable, cheap and easy!

Actually what I'd do is to slide in a piece of paper cut to size first... Slide in the foam on top of the paper, then pull out the paper (you could leave it in I guess) foam doesn't slide well over foam, so the paper is just to help it slide.

Dave J

Reaction score
If you remove the neck rest the back of the headstock will probably be touching the back of the case. That can be disastrous if the case takes a whack or a drop.
I agree completely about the foam under the neck joint area. That was a great tip.

Dave J

Reaction score
Seeing that this is a case thread. Musicians Friend has these musicians gear SG cases for $59. They fit Epiphone SG's quite well.
DSC03538_zpsqaion4vm.jpg

Just a public service message if any one needs a new case for a good price.

Caddy

Reaction score
Seeing that this is a case thread. Musicians Friend has these musicians gear SG cases for $59. They fit Epiphone SG's quite well.
DSC03538_zpsqaion4vm.jpg

Just a public service message if any one needs a new case for a good price.

That seems to be the best solution. Keep the other case for another guitar that fits that case.

jtcnj

Reaction score
If thats an LP case then the thinner SG body sits "lower" in the case. Shim the body cavity (wait that doesnt sound right does it?).

I say either put an LP in it, or send it to me.
Buy the MF case above.

(I would shim the body area myself, truthfully)

SylenCommando

Reaction score
I am from Canada so the case would cost me more then $59 probably close to $100 and then tax and shipping, doesn't seem like a deal to me, It will probably be close to $200 when its totaled up. its not the neck that is the problem its the body not laying flat on the bottom of the case, since Sg's have a bend in the neck where it meets the body, I wanted to either removed or mod where the neck rests so it lower and the guitar lays flat in the case.

MarkB

Reaction score
But if you lower the neck support the headstock will then sit lower too. You can't see it very well but my SGs case has a wedge shaped piece of foam under where the body sits to accomodate the neck/body angle.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    996.3 KB · Views: 3

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
I am from Canada so the case would cost me more then $59 probably close to $100 and then tax and shipping, doesn't seem like a deal to me, It will probably be close to $200 when its totaled up. its not the neck that is the problem its the body not laying flat on the bottom of the case, since Sg's have a bend in the neck where it meets the body, I wanted to either removed or mod where the neck rests so it lower and the guitar lays flat in the case.
The guitar will never lay flat, it's just the nature of an SG. You can mod the neck rest area all day long, but even if you totally remove that area, there will still be a 'gap' under the neck joint. Save yourself some $ and anguish, just add the foam.
Some battles you just can't win, I choose not to fight.

StringmanK

Reaction score
Sorry if someone already mentioned this... Rather than lowering the neck rest, could you add some foam or something under the body to make the guitar rest flatter in the casse? Kinda like tricking the the case into thinking the guitar body was thicker.

StringmanK

Reaction score
Out of curiosity I just looked at my aftermarket SG case and it has a "ramp" about 1/3 of the way into the body portion of the case going up to the neck rest/storage compartment. Much of the weight of the guitar is supported by the neck rest, about 4-6" from the heal. The headstock does not touch the bottom of the case.

Latest posts