Ibanez S520 - WK

Marty_McFly

Reaction score
Hey guys n´ girls.

So it´s that time of the year again. Christmas is coming, and I think about what guitar to get ;)

Right know I heavily think about getting a Ibanez S520 in Weathered Black, which is just a fancy word for worn black. Since I do not have any music store near by that has Ibanez guitars, I thought I will ask you, those people who have S - series guitars or have played ´em once or so.

Soo, S series guitars got quiet a thin body, right? How`s about balance? Is there like a heavy neck dive on these guitars? How is the balance while sitting/standing?

How much does a S- series weight for real? I can imagine that the S520 will weight a little more because of the Edge Zero II trem, but it has to be super light when i look at how thin the body is.

Does it feel weird that your resting arm is soo close to your body? I am a LP player and I`m used to have like 2 inches wood between my resting arm and my belly.

If you have to describe it in words, how does a Wizard III neck profile feel like? Again I`m actually a Les Paul player :) (so I expect it to be super thin, but is there anything else to it?)

So far, I think these are all my questions for now.

Thank you in advance for your advice and answering my questions :)

wildeman

Reaction score
I have a 540 Saber and it is light and balances perfectly, no complaints at all.

Raiyn

Reaction score
How`s about balance? Is there like a heavy neck dive on these guitars? How is the balance while sitting/standing?
S-series axes balance perfectly at the neck joint, and are wonderfully light. LP's are a boat anchor compared to an S-series. The neck is thin and fast.

They're basically the polar opposite of a Les Paul.

After a few things get sorted around the homestead, one is on my most wanted list for sure.

LSAR

Reaction score
One with a trem will pretty reliably come in somewhere between 6-7lbs. I've checked out a couple hardtail examples that were less than 6 lbs, closer to 5.5. The vast majority though, 6-7 lbs either way.

The body is really thin around the edges...both the front and back are quite carved though and culminate in a reasonable thickness to create a stable neck joint and bridge route. Stepping from an LP straight away it may feel a little weird but it's nothing that would bother me personally...they're very comfy. What would bug me the most there is going from a tune o matic to floating "Edge" for a bridge...I'm always a little heavy handed for a minute or two making that sort of switch.

The Wizard III is my favorite shredder-thin neck. It is super thin though, really just enough to let you know it's there. If you're someone who plays thumb over then you may struggle at first unless you've got really small hands. Despite being thin from what I recall the III is rounded. The II on the other hand is just as thin but has harder shoulders and a flatness to it. I don't know if I've ever played an original. I had RG's with both at one point.

One comparison I'd draw...I look at an LP as an instrument and a piece of art on it's own (in some cases), whereas I see a Sabre as more of a tool. A very sleek, efficient tool. It's more like picking up the strings than picking up a guitar. Nothing gets in the way and you can really get into it.
I can't say I've ever not enjoyed playing one...you'll likely find it super resonant with that open pore finish too.

Raiyn

Reaction score
I look at an LP as an instrument and a piece of art on it's own
I've never found one to be comfortable.
UfsaF.gif

Could be worse I suppose... speaking of art....

Marty_McFly

Reaction score
Hey guys n´ girls.

So it´s that time of the year again. Christmas is coming, and I think about what guitar to get ;)

Right know I heavily think about getting a Ibanez S520 in Weathered Black, which is just a fancy word for worn black. Since I do not have any music store near by that has Ibanez guitars, I thought I will ask you, those people who have S - series guitars or have played ´em once or so.

Soo, S series guitars got quiet a thin body, right? How`s about balance? Is there like a heavy neck dive on these guitars? How is the balance while sitting/standing?

How much does a S- series weight for real? I can imagine that the S520 will weight a little more because of the Edge Zero II trem, but it has to be super light when i look at how thin the body is.

Does it feel weird that your resting arm is soo close to your body? I am a LP player and I`m used to have like 2 inches wood between my resting arm and my belly.

If you have to describe it in words, how does a Wizard III neck profile feel like? Again I`m actually a Les Paul player :) (so I expect it to be super thin, but is there anything else to it?)

So far, I think these are all my questions for now.

Thank you in advance for your advice and answering my questions :)
An S model is like a Ferrari.View attachment 8314

Nice one:thumb:. I love the look of that natural mahogany:applause:

LSAR

Reaction score
How does the edge zero bridge feel like? (compared to an FR special, because thats what i have right now)
I've seen them out and around with and without the Zero Point system (that'd be all the extra crap and the big ol thumbwheel in the trem cavity). Without it, with the regular old fashioned trem springs then I'd say functionally they're no different than an FR special...they're a bit more comfortable though having a bit of a lower profile and more rounded edges.

If it's got the Zero Point system, you'll find it's got a bit more of a "firm" feel to it, and a much faster return to zero. That system's advertised (or was at one point) as something that'll keep you in tune if a string breaks...that was not my experience as the springs used for that purpose simply lacked the needed strength. I did find they accomplished a smoother feeling trem action however, which can sometimes take a bit more tweaking on regular FR style trem.

I actually had a negative experience with my Edge Zero II and ZPS3Fe, so can't recommend one based on personal experience. They feel great, but if offered my choice of bridge on a Saber my order of preference would be the following:
1. FR (Special or otherwise)
2. Hardtail of any kind.
3. Edge/Ibanez Trem with traditional spring setup
4. Edge/Ibanez with Zero Point setup.

Marty_McFly

Reaction score
I've seen them out and around with and without the Zero Point system (that'd be all the extra crap and the big ol thumbwheel in the trem cavity). Without it, with the regular old fashioned trem springs then I'd say functionally they're no different than an FR special...they're a bit more comfortable though having a bit of a lower profile and more rounded edges.

If it's got the Zero Point system, you'll find it's got a bit more of a "firm" feel to it, and a much faster return to zero. That system's advertised (or was at one point) as something that'll keep you in tune if a string breaks...that was not my experience as the springs used for that purpose simply lacked the needed strength. I did find they accomplished a smoother feeling trem action however, which can sometimes take a bit more tweaking on regular FR style trem.

I actually had a negative experience with my Edge Zero II and ZPS3Fe, so can't recommend one based on personal experience. They feel great, but if offered my choice of bridge on a Saber my order of preference would be the following:
1. FR (Special or otherwise)
2. Hardtail of any kind.
3. Edge/Ibanez Trem with traditional spring setup
4. Edge/Ibanez with Zero Point setup.

Thanks for the reply. I am a little confused about what trem this is now. Thomann says it's an edge zero 2, so does ibanez. But looking at this picture:

8085823_800.jpg
it seems to have the normal mounting and actually no thumbwheel.

LSAR

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am a little confused about what trem this is now. Thomann says it's an edge zero 2, so does ibanez. But looking at this picture:

View attachment 8336
it seems to have the normal mounting and actually no thumbwheel.

It can be an Edge Zero II either way, actually. That title refers only to the baseplate and above...what you can see from the front of the guitar. Ibanez makes two different trem blocks for this model of bridge, one for regular mounting and one that is much smaller and allows the attachment of the whole Zero Point system with the thumbwheel. The routing and backplate need to be different for the thumbwheel.

I think I was mistaken about them ever using the Zero Point on this model...I can't find an example and Thomman's listing is definitely for a model with the Edge Zero II and traditional mounting. In that setup there's very little functional difference between that bridge and an FR Special. It's essentially the same thing in a more compact and ergonomic format.

Marty_McFly

Reaction score
It can be an Edge Zero II either way, actually. That title refers only to the baseplate and above...what you can see from the front of the guitar. Ibanez makes two different trem blocks for this model of bridge, one for regular mounting and one that is much smaller and allows the attachment of the whole Zero Point system with the thumbwheel. The routing and backplate need to be different for the thumbwheel.

I think I was mistaken about them ever using the Zero Point on this model...I can't find an example and Thomman's listing is definitely for a model with the Edge Zero II and traditional mounting. In that setup there's very little functional difference between that bridge and an FR Special. It's essentially the same thing in a more compact and ergonomic format.

Ok, now I got it, thanks.

So technically seen, the regular mounting is better for tone and sustain because of the big trem block? Love that:)

Latest posts