Incoming Friday Opinion / advice

• Thread starter Darth-Paul
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Darth-Paul

Reaction score
I have a confession. It's been a busy few weeks for me. In a moment of weakness a jumped on a used but as new Gibson 2014 melody maker in TV yellow. She arrived and well I really am not liking it. (Purchased blind so to speak as no local store around me has this guitar)

To explain the dislike - finish (for me looks cheap - I expected stripped down - so I was not expecting a shiny full on les but I'm still disappointed)

Playing - I find it very buzzy / slappy - despite being fret dressed, and set up by my local guitar tech and tweaking by me.

Being brutally honest i was drawn by the "badge" on the headstock = mistake

Anyway I could go on BUT

It's going Friday in part exchange for a 1960 Tribute plus back to my beloved EPI

Best colour anyone ?

Sounds a basic question but I like them all !!!!!!! So has anyone from in the flesh experience got a preference and why

Until Friday I won't be seeing the guitar in the flesh I'm travelling 100 miles to go look and buy so some prior knowledge on colour / finish pro and cons would / may help - done the obligatory Internet pics and searches etc but is anyone drawn to a colour scheme in this line of guitar .

Open for advice (and yes in the end I will buy the one that A plays best B looks best when I see them. I just like a little knowledge / what to expect)

Sorry for long post !

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Wish you would've asked here about the MM before purchasing, could have saved you some headache. They are quite a disappointment.
As far as color on a T+, I don't own one...YET, but I'm partial to the Vintage Sunburst, but I think you're on the right track with the idea of hands on, & seeing/feeling which one speaks to you.
Looking forward to pics of whichever one follows you home.

Darth-Paul

Reaction score
Wish you would've asked here about the MM before purchasing, could have saved you some headache. They are quite a disappointment.
As far as color on a T+, I don't own one...YET, but I'm partial to the Vintage Sunburst, but I think you're on the right track with the idea of hands on, & seeing/feeling which one speaks to you.
Looking forward to pics of whichever one follows you home.

Yep I was/am mighty disappointed. And as I said being honest I'm a tad upset I fell for a headstock logo and assumed the rest would follow. It did not (in my case) very very very underwhelmed. I've put it away in its bag ready to take to Sheffield next week for the part exchange with the Epi

I certainly will get pics up, without them it never happened ;)

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
I never ever had a sub 1000 Euro Gibson in my hands I really liked the 'feeling',
rough finishes, sharp fretends.......
And I had a few of them in my hands.

I'd probably go 'Black Cherry' with the T+, cause I've seen 'Midnight Ebony' ones that were way to light gray.....

Darth-Paul

Reaction score
I never ever had a sub 1000 Euro Gibson in my hands I really liked the 'feeling',
rough finishes, sharp fretends.......
And I had a few of them in my hands.

I'd probably go 'Black Cherry' with the T+, cause I've seen 'Midnight Ebony' ones that were way to light gray.....

That's a fair point to look at. How midnight the midnight is. Agreed the black cherry looks very nice. Very excited to go select one next week. All colours in stock so the sales rep is gonna need to get a fair few out :)

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
That's a fair point to look at. How midnight the midnight is. Agreed the black cherry looks very nice. Very excited to go select one next week. All colours in stock so the sales rep is gonna need to get a fair few out :)
Check out every one they have, when you find one you like, keep it close as a comparison, & keep checking!

gsmacleod

Reaction score
I personally would lean toward the vintage burst, however if you can get your hands on a few, just play until you find the one. Hope Friday brings a HNGD!

Shane

Keith Longstaff

Reaction score
A7BE6473-E030-4780-BFF3-03133EB0A661-422-000000A89F08E68C_zps02d2f55d.jpg

This is my midnight ebony. I had a pro/luthier set up on it a few days after I bought it and I've never looked back its a toss up as to which is my favourite this or my JB PB

Mark

Reaction score

I have the midnight ebony Genesis and it's definitely gray, there's nothing black about it. I have a black cherry Prophecy and it's very rich and cool looking.

IMG_20131026_195713_927_zpseddc93b3.jpg

100_0677_zpsab14d7dc.jpg

Darth-Paul

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the pics and opinions. Think I've got a early preference for:

1 black cherry
2 vintage sunburst
3 faded cherry sunburst

Friday will tell when I'm up close and personal and I end up with a sapphire one !!!

Mark

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the pics and opinions. Think I've got a early preference for:

1 black cherry
2 vintage sunburst
3 faded cherry sunburst

Friday will tell when I'm up close and personal and I end up with a sapphire one !!!

Well here's a real-life Vintageburst if you need to see one? I have my vintage Genesis coming in Tuesday.

One thing I noticed with mine is that the centers were different colors depending on the batch. I got my first Pro/FX and the center was the usual yellowish amber color. I had to send it back for another and the second one had an orange center, instead of amber. I kind of liked the orange better. Seemed to stand out more.

See, the first one had a normal yellowish amber color;
100_0528_zps3711f72b.jpg

The second one was noticably orange;
101_0233_zps899ff2ed.jpg

The Musician's Friend shot of my Genesis coming appeared to be orange as well. Makes me wonder if Epi just liked the change?

Darth-Paul

Reaction score
Well here's a real-life Vintageburst if you need to see one? I have my vintage Genesis coming in Tuesday.

One thing I noticed with mine is that the centers were different colors depending on the batch. I got my first Pro/FX and the center was the usual yellowish amber color. I had to send it back for another and the second one had an orange center, instead of amber. I kind of liked the orange better. Seemed to stand out more.

See, the first one had a normal yellowish amber color;
100_0528_zps3711f72b.jpg

The second one was noticably orange;
101_0233_zps899ff2ed.jpg

The Musician's Friend shot of my Genesis coming appeared to be orange as well. Makes me wonder if Epi just liked the change?

Both look great colour wise. I'd be happy with either the more yellow or orange centre section.

To be honest there are no "bad" colour choices in my mind for the 1960 les model = hence the dilemma. It would be easier to have a "I don't like this or that" but as all the finishes look great and as I only have the budget for 1 = dilema I'm hoping the "in the flesh" brings a eureka moment (subject to the colour eureka moment being the one that feels/plays the best)

Still a nice quandary to be in

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I'm really partial to the Black Cherry. My Elitist is Faded Cherry Burst, but it's verrrrry subtle, more like a Lemon Burst really, and I LOVE it. To me the FCB on the T+ is way too bright.

Latest posts