Locking Tuners

• Thread starter PasadenaSG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PasadenaSG

Reaction score
I have an SG Muse on order that I will probably be replacing the tuners on with locking tuners. Has anyone done this with direct drop in tuners and if so what kind? I'm not going to do it if I have to drill or change anything besides the machines.

Oakman29

Reaction score
The SG muse has Grover locking tuners, why would you to change those out?

PasadenaSG

Reaction score
The SG muse has Grover locking tuners, why would you to change those out?

If it does, I won't. Epiphone's site says it has these:

Epiphone Lightweight 3+3 18:1

I guess I'll know Friday when it comes.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
With Hipshot locking tuners, you don't have to drill. The tuners are inserted through two universal mounting plates. For a 3+3 headstock, one spans the near and middle holes and interlocks with the other that spans the middle and far holes (repeat that for the other side). If you sell the guitar, just reinstall the stock tuners.

Welcome to Epi-Talk.

PasadenaSG

Reaction score
With Hipshot locking tuners, you don't have to drill. The tuners are inserted through two universal mounting plates. For a 3+3 headstock, one spans the near and middle holes and interlocks with the other that spans the middle and far holes (repeat that for the other side). If you sell the guitar, just reinstall the stock tuners.

Welcome to Epi-Talk.

Thanks!

Kostas Kritsilas

Reaction score
And the Hipshot tuners are really good. Very smooth, 18:1 ratio (for the open back version), high quality, and available with a lot of different tuner buttons. I changed over my 2001 Korean Epiphone to them, and used their chrome finished keystone buttons. Look factory, and right, from the front.

Raiyn

Reaction score

Welcome to Epi-Talk.
And the Hipshot tuners are really good. Very smooth, 18:1 ratio (for the open back version), high quality, and available with a lot of different tuner buttons. I changed over my 2001 Korean Epiphone to them, and used their chrome finished keystone buttons. Look factory, and right, from the front.
hipshot-1-jpg.4386

hipshot-2-jpg.4387

headstock-jpg.5851

gir-headstock-front-jpg.12553

gir-hipshot-tuners-jpg.12554

Yup. Hipshot locking tuners are and have been an automatic "day 2" upgrade / mod for me. I'm particularly fond of the open gear variety.

Great product, great value, dead easy to install, and made here in the U.S. of A.

Jam Handy

Reaction score
The Epiphone SG Muse does NOT have locking tuners. Here are 2 hi-res photos from the web showing the front and back of this model's tuners... to my knowledge (and Google searches) there is no Gibson SG Muse (as the OP did not specify which brand...) so I assume the SG Muse is an only-Epiphone model... here is the headstock... no locking tuners here...

Epi SG Muse front of headstock.jpg
Epi SG Muse back of headstock.jpg

Last edited:

Raiyn

Reaction score
Not correct, the Epiphone SG Muse does NOT have locking tuners... see hi-res pics I posted above...
You can reply / quote multiple people in the same post.
hipshot-1-jpg.4386

hipshot-2-jpg.4387

headstock-jpg.5851

gir-headstock-front-jpg.12553

gir-hipshot-tuners-jpg.12554

Yup. Hipshot locking tuners are and have been an automatic "day 2" upgrade / mod for me. I'm particularly fond of the open gear variety.

Great product, great value, dead easy to install, and made here in the U.S. of A.
See?

PasadenaSG

Reaction score
Not correct, the Epiphone SG Muse does NOT have locking tuners... see hi-res pics I posted above...

I understand the confusion on this. Several retailers (guitar center for example) have listed the SG muse as having grover tuners. I called epiphone/gibson customer service and they thought that maybe some retailers had cut and pasted the specifications from the Les Paul Muse, which does have grover lockers.

Raiyn

Reaction score

TWANG

Reaction score
I put locking tuners on my guitars.. chinese stuff from wish. Grovers are usa, and chinese, and the chinese ones I'm using work perfectly No problems. I'd recommend them on snappy quick string changes alone, but they tune well and hold tune so what's not to like?