mustang with epiphone neck?

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Hello i recently joined this forum in hopes i might get some help with my crazy idea. Im hoping to set an epiphone neck into a fender mustang. I dont have an epiphone neck lying around to do measurments with, so hopefully i can get some help here. I need to know what the neck recess depth is on bolt on epiphone necks. Also what is the bolt spacing? I know it wont be just bolt on and go so im curious how much i will end up cutting out. Ive taken measurments with a gibson les paul and it doesnt seem impossible yet. Obviously i need measurments with a les paul neck that is bolted on though. Any help would be appreciated.

BGood

Reaction score
Your biggest concern will be the different scale lenghts. The Mustang has a 22.5" scale lenght, as the Epiphone is 24.75".
I'd say it is impossible without MAJOR change in the mustang bridge positionning.

And ... welcome Ozzy.

Ozzy

Reaction score
The mustang is 24 scale length, and the neck from nut to fingerboard end is 17 and 3 quarters. Where the gibson les paul neck i measured is 18 even from nut to fingerboard end which leaves me half an inch to make up for at the bridge. Im hoping maybe one of you guys have an epiphone neck laying around to help me with pocket sizes and bolt spacing

Carl Los

Reaction score
I would suggest just going ahead and buying an epi neck or epi junior on craigslist and diving right into the transplant, it will work, you just have to put in the time to adjust everything.

JohnS

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that you are a pioneer on this kind of project. Let us know how it turns out and, or course, pics.

eS.G.

Reaction score
I would suggest just going ahead and buying an epi neck or epi junior on craigslist and diving right into the transplant, it will work, you just have to put in the time to adjust everything.

YES. what he said

:) and WELCOME!!!!

Ozzy

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Frankly I expected much worse. I borrowed a gibson les paul studio from a friend and really enjoyed the way the neck felt and fit my hand. The downside was the weight and i thought it was quite uncomfortable playing sitting down. So why not make the best of both worlds, for me anyway. Another thought occured to me though. I believe Gibsons have a 4 degree tilt which the mustang does not originally anyway. What does epiphone do about this with its bolt on necks? Is the pocket or neck slightly slanted?

Mark

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Frankly I expected much worse. I borrowed a gibson les paul studio from a friend and really enjoyed the way the neck felt and fit my hand. The downside was the weight and i thought it was quite uncomfortable playing sitting down. So why not make the best of both worlds, for me anyway. Another thought occured to me though. I believe Gibsons have a 4 degree tilt which the mustang does not originally anyway. What does epiphone do about this with its bolt on necks? Is the pocket or neck slightly slanted?

You might try one of the Warmoth necks if you want a Gibson style feel to it. If you tell them specifics they will make it to order. If you click around they have Gibson style, a PRS style, all kinds of strats naturally. Give them a call and see if you can talk to a tech and tell him what you are trying to do. I'm sure they'd be helpful.

This is the Les Paul style --> http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Warmoth/Neck/Hombre/Default.aspx

Here is a fret calculator if you were going to do your own frets and need to calculate their spacing --> http://www.tundraman.com/Guitars/FretCalc/

BGood

Reaction score
Mark's idea is the best up to now. I'm sure the've seen it all. Give those Warmoth guys a call.

Alty

Reaction score
I have only one question...why?

It's fun confusing people....:) I want a Semi-Hollow but with a Firebird HS, they do them....but....as a Left Handed player I thought it would be nice to have the HS I like and have the tuners the wrong way but the right way for me....but hard to find a bolt on FB Headstock cheap to try it.

RTH

Reaction score
A Gibson neck will feel quite different than an Epiphone neck. I would suggest testing out some Juniors or other bolt-on necks to see if you like them first. As far as tilt, a Fender should have a 2-4 degree tilt to it. Any neck should have that much tilt unless the frets are leveled with the proper amount of fallaway to compensate for a non-tilted neck.

BGood

Reaction score
As far as tilt, a Fender should have a 2-4 degree tilt to it. Any neck should have that much tilt unless the frets are leveled with the proper amount of fallaway to compensate for a non-tilted neck.
I have to disagree here. My Strat has no tilt to the neck, flat parallel to the body. But the Fender saddles are so much lower than the TOM.

Latest posts