My new Epi, 1990s Coronet

• Thread starter juks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

juks

Reaction score
This is a fun one, found it on GC for decent price. Certainly my first (metallic) purple guitar :).

50808268608_bffa927d15_m.jpg

Found this explanation on wiki:

"There was a short run of Coronets in the late 1990s, which were made in Korea. These featured OBL model pickups, a single coil in the neck position and a humbucker in the bridge position, with a pull-out tone knob to tap the humbucker. As was the case with the original Coronet, the hardware and style of the Coronet varied through this short run. Some had six-on-a-side batwing-shaped headstocks, while others had more classic 3-on-a-side Gibson-style headstocks."

So this must be from later in the run as I saw someplace that that batwing was the initial run, then they converted to the 3-on-a-side. The single coils have almost Danelectro kind of jingle, the humbucker has nice and full sound. I think it's nicer to have the 2 PU configuration rather than just one as they have in the current re-issue.

I'd prefer the batwing headstock like I have on my Wilshire but I'm sure these don't show up that often in the used market. On Reverb they are asking stupid money for these, $600 - $1700! I paid $300.

Wilshire with batwing:

50635868243_12aa28e358_m.jpg

John

Reaction score
Congrats, have fun with it.

Scott Campbell

Reaction score
This is a fun one, found it on GC for decent price. Certainly my first (metallic) purple guitar :).

50808268608_bffa927d15_m.jpg

Found this explanation on wiki:

"There was a short run of Coronets in the late 1990s, which were made in Korea. These featured OBL model pickups, a single coil in the neck position and a humbucker in the bridge position, with a pull-out tone knob to tap the humbucker. As was the case with the original Coronet, the hardware and style of the Coronet varied through this short run. Some had six-on-a-side batwing-shaped headstocks, while others had more classic 3-on-a-side Gibson-style headstocks."

So this must be from later in the run as I saw someplace that that batwing was the initial run, then they converted to the 3-on-a-side. The single coils have almost Danelectro kind of jingle, the humbucker has nice and full sound. I think it's nicer to have the 2 PU configuration rather than just one as they have in the current re-issue.

I'd prefer the batwing headstock like I have on my Wilshire but I'm sure these don't show up that often in the used market. On Reverb they are asking stupid money for these, $600 - $1700! I paid $300.

Wilshire with batwing:

50635868243_12aa28e358_m.jpg

Scott Campbell

Reaction score
CONGRATS! Those are Bill Lawrence pickups! They were available on the parts market for a short time! I also have one of those purple Coronets! Lucky US! They are GREAT!

Latest posts