My new Sheraton and a small rant…

• Thread starter Enjoicube
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Enjoicube

Reaction score
Just took receipt of this stunning peerless epiphone sheraton on Friday. This is such a wonderful guitar, right up there with my elitists: the woods are beautiful, the finish is super thin, and it sounds and plays great. This makes my 5th Sheraton that I’ve owned: 2 Japanese/American, 2 Korean and 1 MIC. In fact, this guitar is so good I’ve decided to sell my Gibson 335 and keep this one instead. Which brings me to my second point - why can’t Epiphone pull off this level of guitar today? Don’t get me wrong, the new MIC epis are great: the workmanship in the Quingdao factory is on par with the best, but the wood choices (laurel and veneers on $1000+ guitars) and thick finishes still leave something to be desired. If Epiphone wanted to, I think they could make a guitar that goes toe to toe with any Gibson, but it seems like Gibson want to keep that arbitrary distinction between the lines (sure you can have custombuckers in your IBGC, but you’re gonna have to pay Gibson prices if you want rosewood and a nitro finish). Having seen the greatness they are capable of in the past (e.g. elitists), and wowed by the quality of these new MIC epis, I wish they’d allow epiphone to do a no holds barred high end series (what the IBGC should have been), premium woods and craftsmanship with meaningful distinctions above the IBG series (not just upgraded electronics). Really give Gibson a run for their money, and make them sweat a little (like fender Japan did to fender USA in the 80s). Until then, I’m just happy that I was able to find this beauty given the rarity of the peerless Sheratons - this thing sets a standard for what Epiphone should (and could) be.

53999033239_57ebca4a3f_b.jpg

53997812647_3bb7836df0_b.jpg

Last edited:

Mimmo

Reaction score
BIg Epi semis fan here. I think that the answer is right in your question: they could but they don't want as very few people would opt for the Gibson version when the Epiphone guitar is almost on par. They have to keep a distance between the two brands.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
This is such a wonderful guitar, right up there with my elitists: the woods are beautiful, the finish is super thin, and it sounds and plays great.

Congrats on your 'new' €pi Sherry

:thumb::applause::thumb:

I missed those €pi €litists back then when they were affordable

Gladly I found FujiGens own brand FGN - and never really looked back

Basicly improved variants of those ES33X models in super quality at affordable prices

1.17.18 FGN Masterfield Duo HPC u SPC mit VOX DA10.jpg

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
Epiphone is owned by Gibson and they have created a rather seamless product line between the two brands.

From a $350 SG from Epiphone all the way to the top of their line which is about $1500 +

Then Gibson picks up the line sliding in at a low end pricing of $1200 SG to the $8000 Custom Shop line.

It makes perfect cents!! LOL I am forever grateful to Gibson for ramping up the Epiphone line and breathing new life into it when they moved the line to China.

Epiphone’s quality is outstanding in the price range. And remember too that the Sheraton is exclusively an Epiphone guitar. Gibson created the 335 in response.

Pat

Darkness

Reaction score
I agree with the others that it wouldn't be in Gibsons best interests to build what would be Gibson killers out of the Epiphone factory. I wish at least they would consider it for the Epiphone original models that are not Epi branded versions of Gibson guitars.

Nice find you have there.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I guess I would agree with Mimmo and others who posted that Gibson will always keep the Epiphone line a step or two below Gibson in much the same way Fender did or at least attempted to do with Squier.

Eventually Fender had little choice but to upgrade their standard MIM series since the MIC Squier CV Series was killing sales of Fender MIM. I believe that in at least some models Epi is already building some "Gibson killers". It's just a matter for finding those that are.

Congrats on the MIK Sheraton. I had one over 20 years ago and I regret parting with it. It was a great playing guitar.

Equalphone

Reaction score
Gibson and Fender are both using the same strategy: price of the main line higher and higher and drag up the lower line to fill the spot in between.

In fairness to them, it’s probably just good marketing strategy to keep distinctions between the lines. The problem I see for them is that other brands are eating their lunch in a lot of cases.

The other issue I see is that when they do come out with something “special“, like a $1200-$1500 SG or LP, they often still don’t go the extra mile.

That’s not to say they don’t have some great offerings. But other times it’s disappointing.

Latest posts