Neck profile

• Thread starter BlackStrat
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackStrat

Reaction score
Can anyone tell, by the serial number, what the neck profile is?

I have a 2011 ELP Standard a friend gave me and I really like it a lot! Anyway, my wife gave me the green light for another (I am on a budget though). So far, I think I'm really liking the Tribute, mainly because of the better pickups, lockers and the included case. I love a Cherry Sunburst, but not the one on the Tributes (Faded Cherryburst?). I'd gladly go to Guitar Center but according to their site, there is not one within 200 miles of San Antonio. Same thing for Dallas and Shreveport (going there this weekend). So I will probably end up buying whatever I choose from Sweetwater. Anyone have any experience buying online from them?

One thing for sure is, whatever model of ELP I get, I'd like to keep the same neck profile, it's just very comfortable to me.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Can anyone tell, by the serial number, what the neck profile is?

Sorry, this is not possible

though ~ 90% of all Epis from the last decades have a
'60s slim taper D' type of neckshape.
Tough it still varies cause of the different sanding skills of the employees / factory

Last edited:

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Surely there must be a guitar store in or near San Antonio that has Epi LPs.

Hush, I'm talking to my aunt Shirley.:)

Biddlin

Reaction score
I have played every profile and radius known to mankind. Aside from heavy hands tending to crush the strings on some 7.25" radius Fender style necks, I never give it a thought. A guitar is not the sum of its proportional specifications, but an entire entity, unto itself.

BlackStrat

Reaction score
Unless the website is badly outdated...
View attachment 6246

View attachment 6247

I done a 200 mile radius search on their zip code (78216) and as I said in my original statement, "I'd gladly go to Guitar Center but according to their site, was no epi les paul tribute within a 200 miles of San Antonio." And the same search results for Dallas and Shreveport....no epi lp tribute.

And then again, maybe their site is outdated. lol

shimmilou

Reaction score
...So I will probably end up buying whatever I choose from Sweetwater. Anyone have any experience buying online from them?....

Sweetwater is the absolute best, whether ordering online or going to the store in Ft Wayne. They go to great lengths to insure satisfaction. I have been ordering from them online for many years, always been more than happy with products and service. There is just no other shop that can compare. :thumb:

BTW, you get to see pictures of the exact guitar/amp/etc, you are buying, and many times there are multiple choices, so you can pick which one you like best.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
I'd gladly go to Guitar Center but according to their site, there is not one within 200 miles of San Antonio.

I took that to mean "there is not [a Guitar Center] within 200 miles..." But you clarified in the follow up.

Anyway, as Paruwi wrote, many of the LP models share the 60's slim taper neck profile. You can look it up on the Epi website. So playing whatever the nearby GC has in stock should give you the the feel, if not the sound, of the LP Trib+, which (BTW) is an excellent choice.
View media item 705

BlackStrat

Reaction score
I got this from them awhile back. Had it “plek’d” and bone nut upgrade. Sweetwater has a plek machine and they offer other upgrades and custom setups too.

That is the guitar I'm seriously thinking about. I wish they had Cherryburst finish like the PlusTop Pro, not a fan of the Faded Cherry. Then I was considering the Vintage Sunburst, but I'm not real fond of the back being painted black, I like the wood grain. So, my third choice is the Wine Red! How do you like it? Sweetwater installed the bone nut?...or someone else?

Last edited:

shimmilou

Reaction score
I like it alot! The color is actually “black cherry”. Yes, Sweetwater installed the bone nut and they did the plek job. It has great low action, great playability, the 57 pups sound sweet, and it is a beauty too (looks better in person, you can see the flamed maple). Sweetwater even offers other options and custom setups as well. I think that the bone nut and plek job added a couple hundred to the price. They apparently use up 2 sets of strings while doing the plek job, so strings are part of the extra cost.

BlackStrat

Reaction score
I took that to mean "there is not [a Guitar Center] within 200 miles..." But you clarified in the follow up.

Anyway, as Paruwi wrote, many of the LP models share the 60's slim taper neck profile. You can look it up on the Epi website. So playing whatever the nearby GC has in stock should give you the the feel, if not the sound, of the LP Trib+, which (BTW) is an excellent choice.
View media item 705
Yeah, that's probably my bad. I should've been clearer. Sorry.

Latest posts