Need help/expertise in deciding which vintage Epiphone Sheraton to buy

• Thread starter Michael Montiel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I found a couple of Epiphone Sheratons for sale and could use some help/expertise on deciding which one to buy.

A friend of mine told me that the older Sheratons from Korea are better quality than the newer ones coming from China.

The 1st one is a 1994 Epiphone Sheraton II in tobacco sunburst, they are asking $525 plus $75 shipping. it does have the Gibson truss rod cover. It is in very good shape with a few small scratches in the finish and the gold hardware needs cleaning, the tuners have been replaced with Grover’s but they will include the originals with the guitar, a couple of the pots are scratchy and need cleaning, it comes w/ Epiphone HSC.

Is this worth what they are asking?

The 2nd one is a 1999 Epiphone Sheraton II in Vintage Sunburst NOS (new old stock) they are asking $850 plus $60 shipping, they are claiming that this was never owned and never bought, they are claiming that it comes from an inventory of instruments that date back from the late 70’s to the early 2000’s.

The pictures show it is a vintage brown burst, it does have the Gibson truss rod cover and the serial number starts with an S so I assume this is from the Samick factory in Korea.

Is this one worth what they are asking?

The 3rd one I found is interesting, the add says that it is an Epiphone by Gibson Sheraton, Samick factory 80’s Sunburst with what they are calling a rare headstock that says “Epiphone by Gibson”, good overall condition with normal honest wear, they are asking $800 w/HSC plus $80 shipping, it has the “E” truss rod cover not the “Gibson” truss rod cover, it is a beautiful vintage brown burst color, no picture of the back of the headstock to see what the serial number is, or maybe this was before they put the serial numbers back there.

By the pictures it looks to be in pretty good shape.

Did they use to have the headstocks with “Epiphone by Gibson” on them?

Is this guitar worth what they are are asking if it is in good overall condition?

Is there anything specific I should ask the seller about this guitar?

Which guitar would be the best one to buy?

Thank you

Michael

Supersonic

Reaction score
A friend of mine told me that the older Sheratons from Korea are better quality than the newer ones coming from China.

The number one Epiphone myth. Complete bullshit.

As for the 3 you mentioned, they all seem overpriced to me.

If I were you I'd have a look at a new Sheraton II Pro. Way better pickups and way better electronics with coil splits. The also have the "correct" body shape instead of the generic Samick shape. The tuners probably wont be crooked either.

Last edited:

blackspider57

Reaction score
one of the 'myths' spread by the sellers....

rate the single guitar, not the country or the decade they were made

and

Welcome here @ €piTalk
:wave:
I was looking at brand new Sheratons some made in China, some in Indonesia? When did Epiphone move production to Indonesia? Serial # 17022302917. Or more to the point, why would they make the same model in two different countries? Both are 2017 models.

wildeman

Reaction score
I have a Samick made '01 Sherry in blonde and it is excellent in every way. I think around 500 bux for one used with a hard case is about standard. I had a newer one for a while and it was nice but not quite as nice.

Latest posts