New ES-335 Neck Adjustment Problem?

• Thread starter ter54
  • Start date
  • Tags
    es-335 neck
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ter54

Reaction score
Hi:
I have a New ES-335 Traditional Pro Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar. I am giving the guitar a complete setup starting with the neck. I have removed the strings and using a notched straightedge checked for neck flatness. Adjusting the truss rod I can take the neck into & out of negative relief. What I am finding is that I cannot get the neck to be dead flat on both side at the same time. I can adjust the rod for flat on the bass side but the treble side is in slight negative relief. If I set the treble side flat the bass side has added slight bow relief. Is the neck warped? Twisted? Is there anything I can/should do fix/change it? Or... is this normal?
Thanks,
Tom

Raiyn

Reaction score
Hi:
I have a New ES-335 Traditional Pro Semi-Hollow Electric Guitar. I am giving the guitar a complete setup starting with the neck. I have removed the strings and using a notched straightedge checked for neck flatness. Adjusting the truss rod I can take the neck into & out of negative relief. What I am finding is that I cannot get the neck to be dead flat on both side at the same time. I can adjust the rod for flat on the bass side but the treble side is in slight negative relief. If I set the treble side flat the bass side has added slight bow relief. Is the neck warped? Twisted? Is there anything I can/should do fix/change it? Or... is this normal?
Thanks,
Tom
That sounds like a twist to me. It's new, take it back, lest ye fall down the rabbit hole of goochery.

ter54

Reaction score
I am completely new to Epiphone guitars... so am I being unrealistic to expect quality similar to other high quality brands?
Has anyone else checked the neck of their guitar to see if it has any twist as I did? Am I expecting too much from an Epiphone?

I really hope for some feedback on this... the first checks I will make on the replacement guitar Musician`s Friend is sending me will be neck quality, is it true, can it be adjusted flat, and does it exhibit any issues like the one I described above. If I`m being too critical of the Epiphone brand please tell me.

Thanks,
Tom

syco

Reaction score
I am completely new to Epiphone guitars... so am I being unrealistic to expect quality similar to other high quality brands?
Has anyone else checked the neck of their guitar to see if it has any twist as I did? Am I expecting too much from an Epiphone?

I really hope for some feedback on this... the first checks I will make on the replacement guitar Musician`s Friend is sending me will be neck quality, is it true, can it be adjusted flat, and does it exhibit any issues like the one I described above. If I`m being too critical of the Epiphone brand please tell me.

Thanks,
Tom
I have 15 Epiphone LP's and never had a twisted neck . Brand has nothing to do with it . They all have their duds .

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I'll just add that Epiphone is considered one of the top 5 import brands and like syco I've owned six Epiphone guitars and not experience a neck issue with any of them. Still, returning yours for en exchange was the right thing to do. That's what warranties are for.

Raiyn

Reaction score
If I`m being too critical of the Epiphone brand please tell me.
Like the others have said, on the whole, most people don't have any issues with Epiphone - at least not major structural issues like yours.
Occasionally, you get a finish crack at the nut, or something minor, but they punch above their weight compared to the mothership.

If MF/GC doesn't make it right, try Sweetwater.

ter54

Reaction score
If MF/GC doesn't make it right, try Sweetwater.

So, MF & CG are one and the same? When my (defective) guitar shipped I saw where that originated from a GC location not far from where I live. That is now beginning to make more sense.

I have wondered about trying Sweetwater but until now I really didn`t have a reason to switch. I will definitely keep them in mind.

Supersonic

Reaction score
So, MF & CG are one and the same? When my (defective) guitar shipped I saw where that originated from a GC location not far from where I live. That is now beginning to make more sense.

I have wondered about trying Sweetwater but until now I really didn`t have a reason to switch. I will definitely keep them in mind.

Yeah, Guitar Center owns MF and Woodwind & Brasswind and I think a few more retailers.

ter54

Reaction score
After thinking about all that has transpired and realizing I was likely sold a used (defective) guitar by MF I went ahead and cancelled my order for a replacement ES-335 Traditional Pro guitar. Once someone breaks my trust I am very unlikely to go back to them. I really wanted the model & version of the Epiphone I had selected, I do not know if I will try another source- very burned out over all this.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
While I fully understand the trust issue I also believe it should be viewed in proper context starting with Epiphone. IME they produce some of the best semi-hollow body models made and surely one of the top two or three as far as value is concerned.

But even then a guitar is made of wood and there are times when something unexpected can happen long after the guitar has been completed and inspected in Qingdao. They do inspect in Nashville as well but more than likely those are spot checks on a production run not a wholesale inspection of every single guitar produced.

Now we get to your choice of dealer. MF, GC, AMS, zZounds and others ship product from their warehouses which I believe has never had as thorough an inspection as you performed so a twisted neck, if that what the problem was, would never have been caught. In their business model it's less costly to just ship you another new guitar. They will inspect your upon return and if it's defective return it to Epiphone.

The ES339 I purchased this past summer came from zZounds and it is flawless as are the great majority of them. So it's not that Epiphone cannot consistently produce flawless product. They can but not 100% of the time vs say 98.78% of the time. That what warranties and/or exchanges are meant to resolve. I hate to see you pass on owning a very good guitar over a single bad experience with a certain dealer.

I'd like to suggest that you try another from Sweetwater. They do inspect guitar far better prior to shipment and I also believe that for a buyer such as yourself you'll appreciate their higher level of service.

ter54

Reaction score
I'd like to suggest that you try another from Sweetwater. They do inspect guitar far better prior to shipment and I also believe that for a buyer such as yourself you'll appreciate their higher level of service.
I may very well do as you mention, I just need a minute to get my thinking straight. These bad experiences can really wear on me. The last guy I spoke with at MF actually sent me his direct line contact info and he promised me he could get a "new" unit if I want. I`m sure he would also honor the "stupid deal of the day" price I originally received which I can appreciate. So I may revisit another purchase, I loved playing that guitar... I also will be talking with Sweetwater but I doubt they would match my original MF price.

Isn`t MF offering a special version of the ES-335, the Traditional Pro that others do not have? I also really like the Inverness Green that Sweetwater doesn`t have. I`ll come back from the bad experience but my new approach will be different, smarter.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I may very well do as you mention, I just need a minute to get my thinking straight. These bad experiences can really wear on me. The last guy I spoke with at MF actually sent me his direct line contact info and he promised me he could get a "new" unit if I want. I`m sure he would also honor the "stupid deal of the day" price I originally received which I can appreciate. So I may revisit another purchase, I loved playing that guitar... I also will be talking with Sweetwater but I doubt they would match my original MF price.

Isn`t MF offering a special version of the ES-335, the Traditional Pro that others do not have? I also really like the Inverness Green that Sweetwater doesn`t have. I`ll come back from the bad experience but my new approach will be different, smarter.

Whether or not Sweetwater is willing to match the MF price is debatable. My guess it's unlikely because what MF is offering you is a model only they have which to me means it was produced as an exclusive for MF and GC. This may also be what contributed to what you experienced.

GC/MF will go to manufacturers and ask for an exclusive model built to sell at a specific price. Another product line they do this with are G&L Tributes and in past with Fender as well. While I'm not at all familiar with whatever Epiphone may have arranged with them I am with G&L.

They are Tribute models sure enough but not the same standard version you'd get more tyically get from other dealers. They're a reduced price version which means lower potentially lesser quality, less QC, and the dealer is given the job of inspection and a certain allowance for returns. It's a contract arrangement for so many guitar at such and such a price.

If you decide to repurchase I'd suggest staying away from those exclusive MF/GC specials in favor of the ones that are more typically sold for a much smaller discount. I feel pretty confident you'll get one you feel far more comfortable with. That's all I have to add.

ter54

Reaction score
GC/MF will go to manufacturers and ask for an exclusive model built to sell at a specific price. Another product line they do this with are G&L Tributes and in past with Fender as well. While I'm not at all familiar with whatever Epiphone may have arranged with them I am with G&L.
If I look up the MF/GC ES-335 on Epiphone the title is: ES-335 Traditional Pro, Exclusive
Now the "Exclusive" is making more sense. What you mention about price/quality trade-offs with these special editions rings true so yes, I will avoid the Exclusive offered by MF/GC. soulman969 you have been most informative about issues I was unaware of, Thank You. I will use this new awareness in my next guitar purchase.

syco

Reaction score
If I look up the MF/GC ES-335 on Epiphone the title is: ES-335 Traditional Pro, Exclusive
Now the "Exclusive" is making more sense. What you mention about price/quality trade-offs with these special editions rings true so yes, I will avoid the Exclusive offered by MF/GC. soulman969 you have been most informative about issues I was unaware of, Thank You. I will use this new awareness in my next guitar purchase.
Avoid the "Exclusives " if you wish . They are no better nor worst . 4 of my best guitars are " Exclusive " through only select dealers . 2017 Les Paul Traditional Pro II , 2018 Les Paul Traditional Pro III + and 2 2022 Les Paul '59 Standard's . Each dealer has their "Exclusives " in order to get people to shop with them . Only difference with " the run of the mill guitars " is usually just color , sometimes they offer different hardware , electronics .... etc ,etc . Same construction underneath .

ter54

Reaction score
So it seems I may have missed the point some... avoid the MF/GC Model Exclusives (possible cheaper production), not necessarily all Exclusive models that may have special color or hardware features on the standard body.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
:cheers: Just tryin' to help a brother musician by passing along some information I've picked up on.

One incident I'm very familiar with is a buddy of mine bought a G&L JBass-type during in a similar SDOTD for $299 vs the $499 they typically sold for at that time. The bridge was installed in the wrong location which made it impossible to intonate. I've read posts from others who also had that same experience.

I get the old "business is business" deal and yet I have to wonder why companies with otherwise great quality and reputations risk them by agreeing to sell cut rate versions of their own more popular products.

Latest posts