NGD: Squier Affinity Telecaster

• Thread starter Davis Sharp
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Davis Sharp

Reaction score
Guitar Center had a free shipping deal on used guitars. I didn't expect to buy one, but... I had played one (unplugged) several times and was impressed with the neck and smooth frets. So I thought that I would buy one if the price was right. This one showed up for $139. The ad stated that the case was included, but it was not. So I e-mailed GC to ask them to either ship a case or give me a partial refund.

The guitar is in excellent condition. IronSchef mentioned, on another site, that it's a 2005 model (s/n CY050...). The plastic and Affinity sticker are still on the pickguard, although the plastic has rolled a bit on the edges. There are almost no scratches. The only problem I see is that the rear strap button seems smashed in on one side - it's angled and spins. I haven't removed it yet, but I don't see any damage to the finish. I have extra buttons - no biggie.

w42uPrqm.jpg
X5IJnuDm.jpg

The body is a beautiful butterscotch - it seems misleading to add "blonde" to the description. The different wood pieces are visible through the finish, but only a guitar nerd looks for those things. The sticker says solid Alder/Agathis and it's not at all heavy, weighing in at 7.5 lb (0.5 stone, 3.4 kg). My VM Tele, in comparison is 8 lbs.

ZwaU66Ml.jpg
KOrHNxzl.jpg

The neck is feels good. I prefer glossy necks, but the C shape is more comfortable in my hand than a VM or CV neck. The fret ends are smooooooooth.

Pickups and sound. This is a nice twangbanger. The three country licks that I know sound authentic on the bridge pickup. The neck pup gives smooth, mellow tones. So I have no need to replace the pickups.

Hardware: Tuners are smooth, but they seem to be low-ratio (are they?). Knobs and switch are fine, no scratchiness. It has a top-loading, 6-saddle bridge.

dY0TFiCl.jpg

uWKFKy9m.jpg
WNRw8qUm.jpg

John

Reaction score
Guitar Center had a free shipping deal on used guitars. I didn't expect to buy one, but... I had played one (unplugged) several times and was impressed with the neck and smooth frets. So I thought that I would buy one if the price was right. This one showed up for $139. The ad stated that the case was included, but it was not. So I e-mailed GC to ask them to either ship a case or give me a partial refund.

The guitar is in excellent condition. IronSchef mentioned, on another site, that it's a 2005 model (s/n CY050...). The plastic and Affinity sticker are still on the pickguard, although the plastic has rolled a bit on the edges. There are almost no scratches. The only problem I see is that the rear strap button seems smashed in on one side - it's angled and spins. I haven't removed it yet, but I don't see any damage to the finish. I have extra buttons - no biggie.

w42uPrqm.jpg
X5IJnuDm.jpg

The body is a beautiful butterscotch - it seems misleading to add "blonde" to the description. The different wood pieces are visible through the finish, but only a guitar nerd looks for those things. The sticker says solid Alder/Agathis and it's not at all heavy, weighing in at 7.5 lb (0.5 stone, 3.4 kg). My VM Tele, in comparison is 8 lbs.

ZwaU66Ml.jpg
KOrHNxzl.jpg

The neck is feels good. I prefer glossy necks, but the C shape is more comfortable in my hand than a VM or CV neck. The fret ends are smooooooooth.

Pickups and sound. This is a nice twangbanger. The three country licks that I know sound authentic on the bridge pickup. The neck pup gives smooth, mellow tones. So I have no need to replace the pickups.

Hardware: Tuners are smooth, but they seem to be low-ratio (are they?). Knobs and switch are fine, no scratchiness. It has a top-loading, 6-saddle bridge.

dY0TFiCl.jpg

uWKFKy9m.jpg
WNRw8qUm.jpg
Heck of a deal, congrats...HNGD

Raiyn

Reaction score
Hardware: Tuners are smooth, but they seem to be low-ratio (are they?).
Dunno, but that's not a hard swap. ;)

SWMBO cussed me out for treating the car we just got as my new project.... I told her "unlike my guitars, at least this time it benefits you as well"! ;)

Maybe I need a new axe again, that butterscotch Tele is looking like a fun project! Congrats!

duceditor

Reaction score
My very first inexpensive guitar was a Squier Affinity Tele. That was, I think, in 2004.

At the time I owned a made-in-Japan Fender -- one of those ones from the late `80s that so many people today rave about. The Affinity was bought on a whim, basically because I wanted a butterscotch blond one to look at if not often play.

Funny thing is I liked that Affinity so much that I kept it and sold the Fender. Doubly funny because that Japanese Fender, while over all a danged nice guitar, had had several "troubles" that required replacement of faulty parts. And here I am nearly fifteen years into that Affinity -- it worn down to bare wood on parts of its 'board -- and it has required nothing. (Yes, I did change the neck pup several times -- but I tend to do that on all my Teles.)

Now I own five Squiers -- another Affinity (a Strat) and three more "upscale" Vintage Modified models (A Jazzmaster, a Jaguar and a Cabronita Tele). All are wonderful!

-don

Pignose and Tele.jpg

wildeman

Reaction score
My very first inexpensive guitar was a Squier Affinity Tele. That was, I think, in 2004.

At the time I owned a made-in-Japan Fender -- one of those ones from the late `80s that so many people today rave about. The Affinity was bought on a whim, basically because I wanted a butterscotch blond one to look at if not often play.

Funny thing is I liked that Affinity so much that I kept it and sold the Fender. Doubly funny because that Japanese Fender, while over all a danged nice guitar, had had several "troubles" that required replacement of faulty parts. And here I am nearly fifteen years into that Affinity -- it worn down to bare wood on parts of its 'board -- and it has required nothing. (Yes, I did change the neck pup several times -- but I tend to do that on all my Teles.)

Now I own five Squiers -- another Affinity (a Strat) and three more "upscale" Vintage Modified models (A Jazzmaster, a Jaguar and a Cabronita Tele). All are wonderful!

-don

Screenshot_2018-08-28-20-16-17-1.png :thumb:

Jay Bones

Reaction score
Nice, a new butterscotch Tele for under $150 would be a no brainer to me. (if I wasn't saving up for a $6K dental surgery bill and had the cash)

IGRocker

Reaction score
I have a candy apple red affinity Tele. The only things I plan on doing are swapping pickups/harness (eventually) and adding a tinted clear to the neck. Good score!

John

Reaction score

-don

I have two Squier's, a standard and a deluxe and I love them both. They good guitars for modding.

Juke Box

Reaction score
Sq Affinity tuners suffer from wobbling posts due to wide bushing tolerances. You can easily shim away this problem. Cut a narrow strip from a drink can and twirl the strip around the shaft of a screw driver to achieve a curl. Using scissors cut off 6 shims the size of a postage stamp and slide the shim into the bushing around the post.

The allen screws in the saddles are zinc and will literally back out while you are strumming. Replace these with steel allen screws.

These two mods will end most of the issue with falling out of tune.

Mr Hockey

Reaction score
Congrats on your Squier Tele. I was thinking of purchasing one too. Maybe next year. Enjoy and have some fun. ;)

Latest posts