Not my best NGD

• Thread starter otisblove
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

otisblove

Reaction score
So about a week and a half ago I bought a used Epiphone Les Paul Special in TV yellow listed in excellent condition from GC in Scranton, Pennsylvania. (I live near Indianapolis)

I’ve been on the prowl for a P90 guitar and this one was on my very short short list. For $250 I jumped on it.

It arrived a few days later and right away I loved it. Just the looks of it.

1FA6D494-8977-43CA-809B-EFAA3B6FBD32.jpeg They had de-tuned the strings for shipping, so in my excitement I grabbed a snark tuner and started tuning it up. Got to the D string and POP!
This happened...

686F9A94-4BB0-4378-BA4D-7C6D70D6EB31.jpeg 0D9D9664-26A2-4CEE-8503-FE0BF8DC989E.jpeg

Now, I have owned many guitars over the last 33 years. I still own more than a dozen. Never had this happen.

I’m sure there was a hairline crack there, probably happened during shipping. Like I said, I was so excited to tune it up and plug it in that I didn’t give it a thorough going over.

I called Scranton GC. They said to take it to the Guitar Center near me and it would be taken care of. I did and it was. I got my money back right away. It’s like it never happened, except that it DID. I was really looking forward to owning and playing this one, but alas, it wasn’t meant to be.

So what I did was buy a pickguard from Stratosphere on ebay and the cheapest highly rated ceramic P90’s on Amazon and put them in my trusty swimming pool routed 98 American Standard Stratocaster.
All’s well that ends well. Sounds good, too.

D59C4BA1-6368-4E2B-9265-C5F01613CF8D.jpeg

dasherf17

Reaction score
So about a week and a half ago I bought a used Epiphone Les Paul Special in TV yellow listed in excellent condition from GC in Scranton, Pennsylvania. (I live near Indianapolis)

I’ve been on the prowl for a P90 guitar and this one was on my very short short list. For $250 I jumped on it.

It arrived a few days later and right away I loved it. Just the looks of it.

View attachment 13002 They had de-tuned the strings for shipping, so in my excitement I grabbed a snark tuner and started tuning it up. Got to the D string and POP!
This happened...

View attachment 13001 View attachment 13003

Now, I have owned many guitars over the last 33 years. I still own more than a dozen. Never had this happen.

I’m sure there was a hairline crack there, probably happened during shipping. Like I said, I was so excited to tune it up and plug it in that I didn’t give it a thorough going over.

I called Scranton GC. They said to take it to the Guitar Center near me and it would be taken care of. I did and it was. I got my money back right away. It’s like it never happened, except that it DID. I was really looking forward to owning and playing this one, but alas, it wasn’t meant to be.

So what I did was buy a pickguard from Stratosphere on ebay and the cheapest highly rated ceramic P90’s on Amazon and put them in my trusty swimming pool routed 98 American Standard Stratocaster.
All’s well that ends well. Sounds good, too.

View attachment 13004

I LOVE IT!!!
Really too bad about the 'Paul, tho...I considered to start looking for my own cheapy Special...until I read on...the decision to do your Strat was (imho) genius...you know the guitar AND you get the sound you want. Glad things worked out (still, I love the Gibson-esque feel)...

Latest posts