NUGD - Epiphone Les Paul Special Double Cut

• Thread starter Scootermuppet
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Well, I thought I'd better see what all the P90 fuss was about - especially after following Bgood's P90 based exploits, so after missing out on an Epi SG Vintage that popped up on ebay a while back and having some cash unspoken for, I was perusing Gumtree when I came across this...

IMG_0481.JPG

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG

IMG_0485.JPG

Seemed reasonably priced, so a trip out to see her was arranged. If anything, she was nicer in the flesh than on the pictures, so after a pleasant hour discussing guitars with the owner, and having the privilege of playing some of his collection, a deal was struck and she came home with me.

Looking forward to plugging her into the Katana tomorrow and getting to know her a bit better :)

(Are we supposed to tell what we paid for guitars? I'm happy to share if people are interested, but not sure if it's the 'done thing'?)

Last edited:

gsmacleod

Reaction score
Very nice - I've been searching for a reasonably priced TV Yellow Jr or double cut Special for a couple of years.

Great find!

Shane

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
Congrats on the DC-Special

:thumb::applause::thumb:

IIRC I paid around 200€ for mine and sold it ~ for the same

BGood

Reaction score
Beautiful ! I had the exact same for some time. My dream guitar. The dream didn't last more than a year. Playing mostly sitting or half sitting, the DC didn't like resting on my calf, all it wanted to do was roll off to the back. It was the opposite of a neck heavy SG. Owner had thrown the P90s to the garbage and replaced them with GFS humbuckers, DOH ! Replaced those with P90s from my Epi Special 1.

You paid a fair price for yours, about what I sold mine for. And BTW, it is not TV Yellow, more like a mustard yellow. On a TV Yellow, you see wood grain and the dye is kind of transparent, as this one is opaque yellow paint.

I think you have a 2006, not a 96. Mine was a 2005.

I made sure I kept a good photographic record of that "dream guitar".

full

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:

StringmanK

Reaction score
Very nice. I would find a way to buy one if I saw one up for sale, even though I have "too many guitars" and have exhausted my guitar fund for the moment. Congrats on finding a dream guitar!

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Thanks guys :)

And thanks for the info @BGood Is there any way to tell if it's an 06 or a 96? - not too bothered either way to be honest, just going with what the seller had listed it as...

As far as the colour, again just going on info from the Epi Wiki, they have 4 colours listed - Ebony, Cherry, Vintage Sunburst & TV Yellow, admittedly they don't have production dates though - and the picture on the wiki page matches ours colour wise...

Last edited:

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
According to Paruwi and the Epi Wiki I have a '96 in TV Yellow!

I'll go with that, unless anyone has more info? She's still lovely though, whatever year and whatever you call the colour :D

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
yeah single digit years started in 89 and went through 96/97 or so. So single digit years are always before the 2000s etc.

BTW, nice guitar. Damn I wish I'd see one go by for that good of a price.

Fullmoon 1971

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar and I'm pretty sure It's a 96. The 2006 version had the same custom shop logo on the back of headstock & the same P100 pickups as the singlecut version. If you ever decide to move it on let me know:drool:.

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Fullmoon, and I'll bear that in mind :)

I usually use ebay, but will always drop a post on the classifieds on here for any guitars I'm moving on.

BGood

Reaction score
As far as the colour, again just going on info from the Epi Wiki, they have 4 colours listed - Ebony, Cherry, Vintage Sunburst & TV Yellow, ... and the picture on the wiki page matches ours colour wise...
I know. I sold mine mentioning TV Yellow, but it not really what it is.

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Maybe it was Epiphone's interpretation of Gibsons TV Yellow?

Would imagine it's not easy to match a Nitro finish using poly...

BGood

Reaction score
Marketing. TV Yellow is a stain that let you see the mahogany grain, as this one is like thick car paint.

JY1978

Reaction score
E3087F93-B2CA-422F-8591-BA80FEFC5B8F.jpeg After long deliberation, I have decided to sell my Korean LP DC Special in yellow. It is a good guitar, but I purchased this one with the objective to swap all electronics and pickups for better ones (I have done that with all my Korean EPI’s), but the guitar does not do it for me personally, compared to the other ones I own. Will put it soon on the local Dutch site Marktplaats.nl, but I noticed here that there are some people that have this one really high on their most-wanted list, so I thought it would be okay to post it in this thread as well. If there is anyone from the Netherlands that would be interested, let me know via DM.

The guitar is in good condition, but of course, it is already 25 years old. No scratches, but if I would keep it, as said I would swap the electronics an pickups. The stock tuners were replaced by Schaller.

Of course also interested in what you guys think of what a good asking price would be.

Latest posts