NUGD - Inspired by '55 Les Paul Custom

• Thread starter gsmacleod
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gsmacleod

Reaction score
For years, my dream guitar was a '54 Custom; loved everything about it except for the price. Was tempted by the black P90 Custom but always put off by the rosewood board. So when the Inpsired by '55 was released, I really wanted to pick one up. Since it was a limited run, I was considering breaking my long standing policy of not buying new guitars but waiting for them to show up on the used market. There was one at the local guitar store which I played, decided I wanted but when I went back, it was gone. About a month ago, I went in and they had another one; played it, was debating on buying it and had pretty much decided that I was going to pick it up this weekend.

Then on Wednesday, checked Kijiji and there was one available; immediately sent a message and went to look at it that evening. Almost new condition (as evidenced by no fret wear, no obvious dings and gold parts still gold), about 50% of the new (tax in) price so I brought it home. This guitar is just awesome; I love P90's and this one just sings. Sounds great unplugged and is fantastic plugged in; the Gibson P90's are fantastic.

The original owner had replaced the switch tip for black; I need to pick up an orange one but I did have a cream one that, IMO looks a little better. Also, the original knobs were cracked so he added speed knobs and I will eventually put ones like the originals back on. I'm also tempted to splurge on a staple neck pup but that will be at some point in the future if it happens at all.

The one thing I wasn't sure about was the finish; my first impression was that it was similar to the worn finishes but upon closer inspection, it looks much closer to a gloss finish that has lost its luster with time as opposed to the worn finishes.

Shane

John

Reaction score
Awe yes, congrats Shane. She is beautiful........

Supersonic

Reaction score
Congrats on such a beauty

BTW, if you try the staple pickup thing, read up about it first. I heard somewhere that it doesn't fit right in the Epi and it's a real PITA to get in there correctly. But I'm sure it sounds killer with those Gibbys!

gsmacleod

Reaction score
Congrats on such a beauty

BTW, if you try the staple pickup thing, read up about it first. I heard somewhere that it doesn't fit right in the Epi and it's a real PITA to get in there correctly. But I'm sure it sounds killer with those Gibbys!

Thanks! I've seen that the SD's require a deeper cavity but it looks like Lollar and Thorn both have staples that are the same depth as a standard P90 so if I do it, I'll go that route.

Shane

shimmilou

Reaction score
Awesome guitar, congrats! I know I really like mine, sounds great on many different amps.
album-72157685738067663

Raiyn

Reaction score
What about these?

lg_MK020.gif
I suppose, if one were going for a look. All I know is I ripped mine off in short order and started buying speed knobs in different colors direct from China in order to try different color schemes so I'd know what I wanted after I upgraded the electronics. A couple bucks a set for knobs that would either be given away or used as cat toys? Yup.

sliberty

Reaction score
...A couple bucks a set for knobs that would either be given away or used as cat toys? ...

Hmmmm...I have old knobs in my parts box. I wonder if my cat would enjoy them :)

sliberty

Reaction score
Can someone please describe what a staple pickup sounds like? How is it similar to and different from a P90?

Latest posts