One guitar, two colors

Marty_McFly

Reaction score
Hey guys 'n gals,

I've decided to get a new epiphone guitar. I already knew that it has to be a LP, and after a couple of days, I found the perfect model for me. So far so good. The guitar I'm talking from is the Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus. I see a lot of potential in this guitar to get my new main, but there is one big problem: the color.

I just can't decide between the Vintage Sunburst and the Black Cherry.

I guess u guys and gals can't really help me at this point, and at the end I have to make the decission on my own. Still I think it would be pretty nice if we could discuss 'bout the colors, and which one you do prefer.:)
PS: I've attached these two pics, so u know what I'm talking of.

6572502.jpg

7288438.jpg

Supersonic

Reaction score
I like the black cherry, but it bugs me that the knobs don't really match anything else on the guitar. I'm not sure what would be a good color for the knobs on that one, maybe cream to match the other plastics?

The vintage sunburst is cool too, but personally I'd rather the burst fade in gradually from around the edges instead of just the guitar pick shape right in the middle.

I think I'd go with the black cherry, but I'm not the one buying it. Hard to go wrong with either choice.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
I like the cherry one as well. Not a big fan of vintage burst.
If it was a tobacco burst I would prefer that. With the right hues, It can look really sweet.

NoBucks

Reaction score
I like the black cherry, but it bugs me that the knobs don't really match anything else on the guitar. I'm not sure what would be a good color for the knobs on that one, maybe cream to match the other plastics?

The vintage sunburst is cool too, but personally I'd rather the burst fade in gradually from around the edges instead of just the guitar pick shape right in the middle.

I think I'd go with the black cherry, but I'm not the one buying it. Hard to go wrong with either choice.

Yeah, I don't know what they're thinking sometimes with putting those gold/caramel colored knobs on some of the colors. I vote Black Cherry, then put these knobs on it.

Marty_McFly

Reaction score
I didn' t saw the Black Cherry one in real life. Can anybody who has this guitar tell me if this photo is "color-true"?

6292017-063_1024x1024@2x.jpg

NoBucks

Reaction score
Whether it ends up being "black cherry," or more wine red I think I'd be satisfied either way. It's hard to go wrong with that general color.

I should also add, the reason I didn't choose the vintage burst is that you can't see the maple flame under the black. IMO, the darker color in a burst should be transparent, so you can see the grain underneath. Otherwise, the guitar ends up looking like a giant mandolin. :p

RegularJim

Reaction score
I special ordered a honey burst Plustop Pro last year, and when I went to to store to pick it up, I decided at the last minute on the wine red one hanging on the wall. I regret that, I should've gone with the burst.

NoBucks

Reaction score
I special ordered a honey burst Plustop Pro last year, and when I went to to store to pick it up, I decided at the last minute on the wine red one hanging on the wall. I regret that, I should've gone with the burst.

I you don't already have one, you should always go with the burst (unless you're not a fan of bursts). But, every collection needs a wine red LP. But, yes, I agree, that was a mistake to pass on the honey burst...

Scootermuppet

Reaction score
Yeah, that one is stunning, but I already got a LP in Cherry Burst...
In that case, my vote is Black Cherry - no reason other than personal taste!

And yep, it's your decision, don't be swayed by us lot - go with your heart, and if you can play a few examples of each, so much the better - you might find the guitar you must have doesn't have the colour you thought it would! :hmm:

BGood

Reaction score
... but personally I'd rather the burst fade in gradually from around the edges instead of just the guitar pick shape right in the middle.
When I see a opaque burst on any guitar, I always have a feeling that the guitar just got saved from being sprayed all black. Looks to me like there was a major flaw on the edge or at the top of the body, that wasn't recoverable, hence the black burst.

Latest posts