Parlor sized guitars | edit: incoming PRS-SE P20

• Thread starter Paruwi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
What are the pro or cons about this special sized (Electric) acoustic guitars ?

The tuning is the same like 'regular' sized ones ?
Even the scale is shorter ?

Feel free to educate me.

Thanks

edit:
Incoming PRS-SE P20

szQ74QK.png

YIjrqVC.png

Last edited:

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
Congrats Peter.

It's a 24.72" scale so roughly the same as most Epi or Gibson models. My suggestion is to tune it to taste. It doesn't require any kind of altered tuning but will accept them if you prefer. I typically tune my acoustics down a 1/2 step to Eb. I do it outta choice because it's a better fit for my vocal range and also makes the guitar play a little easier.

It's parlor size so it will be very mid focused without much low end. The mahogany top, body, and neck also contribute to that and add some brightness as well. Parlor size guitars are great for playing acoustic blues or for playing slide because of their brightness and crisp response. They just lack the bottom end of a full size body guitar.

Darkness

Reaction score
I tried a Guild parlor maybe two years ago. As far as I could tell, no difference in scale but the neck is deep in the body. You won't be getting fancy solos in the high register. Other than that it played like a normal guitar, maybe easier. I wish I had bought the one I played, it sounded nice.

I'm surprised you're getting this. Did you notice the sides aren't black?

Maguchi

Reaction score
What are the pro or cons about this special sized (Electric) acoustic guitars ?

The tuning is the same like 'regular' sized ones ?
Even the scale is shorter ?

Feel free to educate me.

Thanks

edit:
Incoming PRS-SE P20

szQ74QK.png

YIjrqVC.png
Yeah loves them parlor guitars 😍, they're the bomb 💣! I gots a 10 year old Art & Lutherie parlor and that one really opened up tonewise as the wood aged. Some a the parlor guitars are shortscale, but mine's a regular Gibson length 24 3/4" scale even though it gots a small parlor body. With the shorter scale ones you gotta put on heavier strings to keep the strings from being too slack. And my medium size fingers don't fit so well on the shorter scale spacing between the frets on shortscale guitars. The regular scale versions seem to put out more volume too.

P.S. Just checked and the scale length on the PRS-SE P20 is 24.72", and the nut with is 1.6875" so roughly the same as a Gibson scale length and width.

A&Eparlor.jpg

Last edited:

FrieAsABird

Reaction score
The Parlor arrived safely today
Just had a bit of fun with it, it feels good, it sounds way bigger than the body would make you think

ux2qfbB.jpg

dswnBo4.jpg

1RVR568.jpg
That’s a great looking guitar, congrats! I have a Harley Benton parlour with an exotic looking top, called a Java model or something? I may be able to pull up a pic after resizing :)

Charles Carter

Reaction score
Insert your favourite expression of utter disgust here.
I'll go with Don Martin's "BLETCH!"

Petes Parlour Crop.jpg

Latest posts