Pickup recommendations

Aaron Robinson

Reaction score
You guys have any not-too-expensive favorite humbuckers that I can slap in my Es-335? Looking for something with lower output for clarity. Really diggin the tv jones classics at the moment. But I'm not sure how that'd work with the coil split..

Thanks in advance!

Caddy

Reaction score
You can't do much better than Artec Giovanni GVH-1's or Giovanni '59's. There are the GVH-1's on Reverb on sale for under $60 for the set, and from a very good seller, Eden Guitars. I have a set of each, really nice pickups, regardless of price.

sliberty

Reaction score
What pickups do you have now?
Have you tried adjusting the pickup height to lower them a bit - this will effectively lower their output.

SpareRibs

Reaction score
Hello,
In addition to lowering the pickups, check out what capacitors are in it. Capacitors retain or lower high frequencies, can make a lot of difference in how a pickup sounds.
I would check out all options before throwing money at pickups.

wildeman

Reaction score
20160311_082340.jpg TV classics are AWESOME. You will not regret buying those, i promise. They are definitely not low cost but i really dont think there is a better all around pickup. I have a pair in my Ibanez AS73 and they and a couple other mods took that guitar from good to great.

wildeman

Reaction score
Oh yea, keep in mind the TV's will turn that 335 into a Gretsch as far as tone goes. Definitely not a bad thing imo, but i have to disclose that.

TomL

Reaction score
Where abouts are you?

If you're in the UK (or elsewhere in the EU for that matter) go for Iron Gear Blues Engines.
A set will cost between £69.95 and £72.95, depending on whether you want them open or covered (and type of covering).
You can buy them from www.axetec.co.uk
I've bought tons of stuff from Axetec. They're always really fast.

Got a few Iron Gears. I put a pair of their Hot Slags in my Epi Dot, but they're pretty snarly and fierce.

If you want something a bit more dialled back, the Blues Engines should be ideal.

Aaron Robinson

Reaction score
View attachment 2318 TV classics are AWESOME. You will not regret buying those, i promise. They are definitely not low cost but i really dont think there is a better all around pickup. I have a pair in my Ibanez AS73 and they and a couple other mods took that guitar from good to great.
That thing looks sweet. What other mods did you do to it?

Aaron Robinson

Reaction score
Where abouts are you?

If you're in the UK (or elsewhere in the EU for that matter) go for Iron Gear Blues Engines.
A set will cost between £69.95 and £72.95, depending on whether you want them open or covered (and type of covering).
You can buy them from www.axetec.co.uk
I've bought tons of stuff from Axetec. They're always really fast.

Got a few Iron Gears. I put a pair of their Hot Slags in my Epi Dot, but they're pretty snarly and fierce.

If you want something a bit more dialled back, the Blues Engines should be ideal.
Unfortunately, I live in the great U S of A. I'll check out the website though!

wildeman

Reaction score
That thing looks sweet. What other mods did you do to it?
Thanks, the wood and frets are stock, haha. CTS, Gibson, Switchcraft, TV jones and some vintage 70's Ibanez star tuners. I got a killer deal on the TV's in a swap, traded an amp i had like 100 bux into, thats what prompted the rebuild.

Aaron Robinson

Reaction score
Update: After extensive obsession, I mean research, I decided to order a set of Seymour Duncan Phat Cats. Heard some good things about these. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!

wildeman

Reaction score
I think 335s sound best with a set of 57s. This is my opinion.
I really like how my stock Sheraton sounds but my buddy brought his Noel Gallagher super nova over and it sounded KILLER! I think those are the pickups in it stock.

Aaron Robinson

Reaction score
These things sing! I've always thought p90s were great. Punchy, clear, articulate, and a touch of chime to them. I bypassed the coil split for the time being. Definitely want to red up more on the ins and outs before I attempt any fancy configurations. Haha.

Latest posts