Pointer Washers

• Thread starter chont
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chont

Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone replace the knobs on their Epi 335 Pro? I got some reflector knobs and figured if i liked the look of them, I'd get some pointer washers to install while I had the knobs off. Sat them on top of the existing knobs and they look really sharp with the red so I'm ordering the Pointer washers. I ordered 8.5 MM sized washers. I assume these are correct for the pot shaft size on the 335 Pro. Wondering if anyone has dealt with the pots here and can tell me if i should have gotten the 10mm washers.

thanks

Dun Ringill

Reaction score
Import pots SHOULD be smaller. I have no experience with the 335, but that has been my experience so far.

chont

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Sounds like I made the correct choice. Hopefully i don't bust the push pull pots getting the knobs off.

PeterOeh

Reaction score
wow.. small world.. or else musicians just think alike.. i just literary installed knob pointers/washers today.. no shit..
got them from thomann, "gibson original replica of the original from the late 50's".

knobpointers.jpg

Last edited:

BlackSG91

Reaction score
I fashion out my own pointers for my guitars. I use washers with the rounded connector for the bare wire to slip in and crimp. I take the plastic off the ends, flatten out the rounded part and use aviation snips to cut out a point. Then I file and sand smooth all the edges and use pliers to bend the point at the right spot. It's cheap and easy to do.;)

electrical-connector-380881.jpg

;>)/

John

Reaction score
I fashion out my own pointers for my guitars. I use washers with the rounded connector for the bare wire to slip in and crimp. I take the plastic off the ends, flatten out the rounded part and use aviation snips to cut out a point. Then I file and sand smooth all the edges and use pliers to bend the point at the right spot. It's cheap and easy to do.;)

;>)/
Great idea Black.....

chont

Reaction score

;>)/
"Don't point! don't even look at it. You've seen enough of that one"

great idea!

PeterOeh

Reaction score

;>)/

nice.. great idea.. :dude:

Jeffytune

Reaction score
I have always heard them called "Thumb cutters" But I still put a set on my Gibson LP Studio.
As to making them yourself, well if you want to just to say I did, okay, but think for those gold plated ones I put on I paid like 12 bucks. (The nickle/chrome ones are cheaper still).
I guess I have just gotten to the point in my life that something are just I would rather pay the 12 bucks that to invest 2-3 hours to make something that may or may not look as good as the ones I could buy.
I think that comes from knowing when you get to certain age, you see that there are more "Sunsets then Sunrises" left in your lifetime, and you would rather use the ones your have left more efficiently.

PeterOeh

Reaction score
ya i often seem them called thumb bleeders.. i put them on for cosmetic reasons, in my mind they fit very well with with the golden top hats on my epi lp standard goldtop.
also the way i handle my knobs it shouldnt be a problem, i kinda use the pinky and buttom of my hand to roll the knobs - and doing that on top hats there is no way that "thumb bleeder" gonna bleed my thumb.. or orther fingers..
anyway, thats what i hope for.. time will show..

John

Reaction score
I'm just the opposite Jeffy, I welcome the challenge simply because I can become board still really easy. It gives me something to do.......

Raiyn

Reaction score
I'm just the opposite Jeffy, I welcome the challenge simply because I can become board still really easy. It gives me something to do.......
There's a balancing act I do; if it makes sense or will give me a sense of accomplishment I'll try to build something, like my pedalboard project. If it's something silly like a set of pointers I can find on eBay cheap I don't bother. 10 for $4 on such a peripheral thing? I'd go cheap.

John

Reaction score
Boredom plays a key role in life sadly enough. I change strings often just for something to do......

Raiyn

Reaction score
Boredom plays a key role in life sadly enough. I change strings often just for something to do......
Between the furballs, guitars, (and related projects) and video games (to release aggression; much better to blow the heads of some digitized zombies than start trouble) I don't get bored.

Occasionally I'll go bowling, as a Dudeist it's good to go to "church" every so often. :D

John

Reaction score
Between the furballs, guitars, (and related projects) and video games (to release aggression; much better to blow the heads of some digitized zombies than start trouble) I don't get bored.

Occasionally I'll go bowling, as a Dudeist it's good to go to "church" every so often. :D
Campin season is sneeking up on us fast. I'll leave the boredom at home.

Latest posts