Recommend me a Tonerider pick-up!

• Thread starter Nebular89
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nebular89

Reaction score
I have a epiphone sg 61. I bought the tonerider alnico 2 humbuckers for it. I love the neck pick-up but the bridge had a bit too much flab in the low end so I put the original epiphone pro bucker back in.
I like the balance of the pick-up but without boosting it sounds a bit thin and weak, needs a bit of balls.
Would the toneriders Birmingham be a go replacement? It seems like it’s just a paf but a tiny bit hotter. I want the same EQ curve as the epiphone probucker. I have raised it closer to the strings which has helped a bit but it’s a little unbalanced compared to the neck now.

Nebular89

Reaction score
Or maybe the tonerider alnico 4, would the alnico 4 sound less “flabby” than the 2?

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Tried the Texas Loco pickups, just as good as any Dimarzio or Seymour Duncan or Fender CS Texas Specials in my book.
In the future, I'm definitely going to check out their humbuckers, lots of great reviews .

strumfordays

Reaction score
If you’re up for it, try putting an Alnico 5 magnet in the AC2 bridge. Magnets are cheap and it only takes a few minutes to do the mod once’s you’ve taken the cover off.

It should give it a bit more power and tighten the bass. Also, try raising (or lowering) the bridge pickup and running the pole screws flush with the pickup cover 😉

Latest posts