Replacing strings to record...

• Thread starter Stuart
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

When do you replace your strings for recording?

• Immediately before

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Some days before

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • When a piece of airborne rusty wire takes your drummer’s eye out

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Stuart

Reaction score
My music buddy, Andrew, & I are at odds on this topic, so I’m bringing it to the €pi-Brethren Supreme Court...

Biddlin

Reaction score
I like fresh strings to record. I put 'em on, tune 'em up, pull the wraps on the tuner posts tight, tune 'em up again and play.

Paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
:hmm: I've never recorded anything...

though I do chance the strings a few times each year on any guitar

Cam.man67

Reaction score
Interesting question. The one time I ever sat in on a recording session, I changed my strings right before. With my SG (with HBs at the time), I felt the guitar has the best treble “feel” immediately after changing strings.

However...I don’t know that I agree with that anymore. Both my 335 Pro and SG (both now sporting p90s :naughty:) sound a little bright until the strings get worn in. Were i to record today, I think I’d prefer either of those guitars to have sat a few days with fresh strings.

Supersonic

Reaction score
Not necessarily for recording, but I think my guitars sound the best the day after I put them on and stretched them a little. Maybe for acoustics I might go for right before.

IGRocker

Reaction score
I do it a day before to give them some time to settle in. I find I need to do more than the typical stretch-‘n-tune to ensure stability. I won’t replace them the whole time of recording, unless it goes on longer than a week.

IGRocker

Reaction score
Granted, I haven’t done any recording for over two years now and I have the same strings on my back up that I used then :D

Supersonic

Reaction score
oops, sorry hit the wrong button and posted. Disregard. Long day.

Last edited:

RTH

Reaction score
That depends on you, stu. Are you down with the added brightness and sensitivity? If I'm used to playing something with older strings, I probabaly would either change a few days ahead of time or not at all. I guess it depends on what shape the old strings are in. Of course, changing strings on a bass is heresy! HERESY!

Cam

Reaction score
Depends on the song. Different songs dictate different sounds, so there isn't really a right or wrong here.

RTH

Reaction score

I can't watch this right now because I'm at work, but the headline ....15 year old strings! Wow. That might be a little excessive, but what ever floats yer boat. Bass strings really do last a long time if you take care of them. They aren't snappy or bright anymore, so if that fits the playing style, it's all good. When I was playing rock/metal, I changed much more often. When I started playing rock/alt/folk/blues genre, I liked the softer sound, do I stopped changing strings. They never went out of tune....minus the low B, which never stays tuned in the case.

Latest posts