Unheralded guitar players

• Thread starter Cenz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cenz

Reaction score
Since the kids are grown and out, the wife and I have a place in Northwest Wisconsin. I spend my days listening to music, watching the eagles and other birds, hearing the loons, and keeping the bird feeders away from the bear.

Probably like you guys, I got a bunch of old albums that are to me, real music, not the stuff of today.

So when people say "guitar players", it's the same. Clapton, Hendrix, Page, Beck. Yes, they are great, but what about the greats that no one except guitar players know.

I'll throw out a few. Steve Hunter. Dick Wagner. Tommy Bolin. Richard Thompson. And the greatest, Rory Gallagher.

And if anyone is from Philly/So. Jersey/Northern Delaware in the 80's and remembers Tommy Conwell, his lead player was Chris Day who played a wicked slide on a Tele.

BlackSG91

Reaction score
I think Malmsteen (Ritchie Blackmore's Swedish son) is one of the most underrated guitar player to this day. I mean his classical interpretations of Bach & etc. are basically mind-boggling. He is a phenom amongst all other guitarists existing and playing in the universe. He plays special scales that are haunting and they grab you by the balls...and you say that you want to order a salt rimmed glass of tequila.

;>)/

MarkB

Reaction score
Great call with Rory Gallagher! I guess it depends on what you mean by great - personally I don't tend to go for virtuoso guitarists (maybe cos a) they tend not to play the music I listen to and b) I'd doesn't do the ego any good!) I love Townshend's Wagnerian chordal playing, Paul Weller's Beatles+ style, the Vaughan Brothers of course, Johnny Winter, Johnny Marr, Dennis Greaves (9 Below Zero), Paul Sayer (The Temperance Movement), Wilko Johnson, Richie Robinson, Jeff Healey, Derek Trucks, Gary Clark Jnr, John Fogerty, Steve Cropper, along with the obvious Buddy Guy and BB King.

HTSMetal

Reaction score
One of my favorites of the more recent generation is Alex Hutchings. The man has talent to spare, and REALLY understands melody -- instead of being constantly flashy like so many guitarists these days, he reserves it for just the right moments:

Alty

Reaction score
Jack White, Jonny Greenwood, John Frusciante, John Squire, Les Paul....and hundreds more....not begining with J....;)

I'm a bit like Mark, all that fancy stuff actually bores me, much prefer a bit more feeling and emotion in the mix.

Last edited:

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I think Malmsteen (Ritchie Blackmore's Swedish son) is one of the most underrated guitar player to this day. I mean his classical interpretations of Bach & etc. are basically mind-boggling. He is a phenom amongst all other guitarists existing and playing in the universe. He plays special scales that are haunting and they grab you by the balls...and you say that you want to order a salt rimmed glass of tequila.

;>)/

M.R. YJM, has been a major influence on me since the early 1980's and I learned so much from him.
Of ignored guitarists, I have to add

Neal Schon
John Sykes
Gary Moore
Allan Holdsworth
John Scofield
Jake E. Lee
Alvin Lee
Johnny Winter
Jan Ackerman
Otis Rush
And the countless others breaking a sweat out on club / stages in obscurity thru out the World ( you know who you are ) .

BlackSG91

Reaction score
M.R. YJM, has been a major influence on me since the early 1980's and I learned so much from him.
Of ignored guitarists, I have to add

Neal Schon
John Sykes
Gary Moore
Allan Holdsworth
John Scofield
Jake E. Lee
Alvin Lee
Johnny Winter
Jan Ackerman
Otis Rush
And the countless others breaking a sweat out on club / stages in obscurity thru out the World ( you know who you are ) .

That is quite a list...I love Allan Holdsworth, Gary Moore, and Jake E. Lee (journey to the Centre of Eternity)!!!

ChoKo

Reaction score
If we're talking underrated guitar players and guys who people don't generally consider to be guitar heroes...

Prince is at the top of my list. He's only now, after death, getting his well deserved accolades. Fan of his music or not, the guy was a guitar wiz.

Someone else said Jake E. Lee. I highly agree. Fantastic guitarist.

Johnny Hiland belongs on this list. I'm not a fan of country-type stuff, but I love it when he takes off on a bluesy lick.

Scotty Moore. Elvis' guitarist for what many consider his best years. He pretty much invented what would become rockabilly guitar. Huge influence on every guitarist, whether they know it or not.

Here's some others:

Warren Haynes (Gov't Mule, The Dead, Allman Brothers)

Orianthi (Michael Jackson's guitarist for the ill fated This Is It tour. She also toured with Alice Cooper.)

Matt "Guitar" Murphy
Steve Cropper
Hubert Sumlin
Robert Cray
Jimmy Bruno

Carl Pickle

Reaction score
Prince, R.I.P was in the top five I ever heard. Once Clapton was asked how it felt to be the world's greatest guitar player and he said I don't know you will have to ask Prince. Just like Eric to be humble, I've always admired him for that trait. Laura Cox is wicked too for an unknown.

Latest posts