What do you guys think? Explorer '58 2011

• Thread starter samm.yang
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Aside from the gold hardware (not my thing at all) I'd considered building one similarly only with the '59 / '59+ combo.

The thing that killed it for me was the ergonomics.
Great stage guitar, badass as all get out, but not something to take seated lessons / practice with. IMHO

Last edited:

LSAR

Reaction score
Aside from the gold hardware (not my thing at all) I'd considered building one similarly only with the '59 / '59+ combo.

The thing that killed it for me was the ergonomics.
Great stage guitar, badass as all get out, but not something to take seated lessons / practice with. IMHO
I've always found Explorers super comfy to play sitting down, I find they snug in nice and give you a nice big armrest.

samm.yang

Reaction score
I've always found Explorers super comfy to play sitting down, I find they snug in nice and give you a nice big armrest.
Its a big guitar, i was suprised at first but once i get used to it it is one of the most comfiest guitar I played so far, especially putting the guitar between the legs!

samm.yang

Reaction score
Not for me. It's like playing a coffee table. Slung low it's cool, but sitting down forget it.

Give me my Jag or my Doheny.

Yes. IT HAS A HUGE BODY, I guess the comfort is very subjective some might say it is comfortable and others say it is not, people have different taste for it. The only downside is that i bump into so many things just because it is so different. Appreciate ur comment about it.

Jonty

Reaction score
Looks great, love the black scratchplate.

Can I ask you why you changed the pickups? I've got the same guitar and I can't get away with the sound of it at all, which is a shame as it's great to play (I also enjoy the ergonomics while sitting down). It sounds really dull and lacks bite - same with either pickupEpiphones.jpg. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with it or the pickups are usually like that? I also have a Korean LP (see image) and that sounds great in comparison.

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score

I agree with you. I find them a bit more awkward to play standing up as there are big guitars. If you move / jump around, you have to be careful not to bump into anyone / anything else. 😅🤣

Last edited:

Raiyn

Reaction score

Can I ask you why you changed the pickups? I've got the same guitar and I can't get away with the sound of it at all, which is a shame as it's great to play (I also enjoy the ergonomics while sitting down). It sounds really dull and lacks bite - same with either pickupView attachment 22481. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with it or the pickups are usually like that? I also have a Korean LP (see image) and that sounds great in comparison.
Different pickups different amp eq.

From the very next thread I looked at:
If your amp doesn't have separate controls for treble, mids and lows, you could try adding an EQ pedal. It is a "trick" that my guitar instructor uses a lot.
Winner winner chicken dinner.

samm.yang

Reaction score

Can I ask you why you changed the pickups? I've got the same guitar and I can't get away with the sound of it at all, which is a shame as it's great to play (I also enjoy the ergonomics while sitting down). It sounds really dull and lacks bite - same with either pickupView attachment 22481. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with it or the pickups are usually like that? I also have a Korean LP (see image) and that sounds great in comparison.
Very nice looking guitar! what colour is that pickguard? yeah i agree with you about the pickup being dull . I feel like those pickups on the explorers lack clarity and they sound muddy in high gain situations, Its not a bad pickup tho but the first time i picked up the guitar and played it I knew I was going to change the pickups immediately! I tried to make it work ( adjusting pickup heights, pole pieces , etc ). And you cant go wrong with SD 59/JB's.

Jonty

Reaction score
Very nice looking guitar! what colour is that pickguard? yeah i agree with you about the pickup being dull . I feel like those pickups on the explorers lack clarity and they sound muddy in high gain situations, Its not a bad pickup tho but the first time i picked up the guitar and played it I knew I was going to change the pickups immediately! I tried to make it work ( adjusting pickup heights, pole pieces , etc ). And you cant go wrong with SD 59/JB's.
Thanks for the reply...glad it's not just me that finds the pickups dull. The pickguard was white at one stage but it's yellowed considerably. It hasn't been kept in direct sunlight or anything, I think some plastics are just prone to yellowing.

Latest posts