What the fu.....?! And other truss rod questions

• Thread starter Zero
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zero

Reaction score
Hi all. Got my Fiddy9 on and I’ll be scaly wagged!! What the heck is wrong with this thing?!

549DE8AC-1675-4E51-8DD6-811EFA6C5B58.jpeg 87827CB5-04FF-4363-A9E3-5009A02FBB28.jpeg 832ED95E-C68E-4584-BD64-BB3873A5E0B1.jpeg

I popped the cover and then I see this. I can pull the nut toward the headstock and push it back in. It feels like the whole rod is moving. I message the guy and ask about it, he says this is how Epis are now? I didn’t have time to pull off the truss cover on my Gold Glory before I had to leave, but seriously? This is how they are??
906B6BBE-F505-4C40-ADF2-CBE2D8575683.jpeg A6BD9064-89A6-4521-ADAC-EADB158F7593.jpeg

BGood

Reaction score
Stupid seller !
Have you tried screwing it in once pushed ?

Jeffytune

Reaction score
That looks like a broken truss rod.
I would send it back in a heartbeat.

Darkness

Reaction score
I will assure you mine is not like that, at least the cover is not bent. The cover is flat, I can remove it later to compare if you'd like.

Excuse the blur, my doggie is trying to take my attention from the guitar. See if it can be put back, but if it is floating in the neck this might be good reason to send it back.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210511-210010_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210511-210010_Gallery.jpg
    554.7 KB · Views: 10

Darkness

Reaction score
Curiosity got to me. I pulled my cover and the rod is firmly in there, not sliding in and out like yours. If it won't go back in and engage hopefully you can return that guitar.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210511-214925_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210511-214925_Gallery.jpg
    581.6 KB · Views: 6

Kostas Kritsilas

Reaction score
Either the truss rod is broken (as Jeffytune said), or the anchor point of the far end of the truss rod has come loose (not at all common, but possible). Either way, the guitar should go back. Repairing it involves peeling off (by steaming it for a long, long time, and sliding a spatula or palette knife down the entire length of the fingerboard, then either re-attaching the truss rod anchor (may or may not be possible), or replacing the truss rod). To be honest, send the guitar back, or ask for a replacement guitar, as the case may be. The repair is long, difficult, and may end up costing more than the value of the guitar.

Zero

Reaction score
I actually got it to work. I pushed it in and tightened it a bit and it’s in there now. EFADCF26-D881-4CF2-958D-8F4BADCBE06B.jpeg
I got the guitar second hand specifically for what I’m about to do it...

BGood

Reaction score
I actually got it to work. I pushed it in and tightened it a bit and it’s in there now. View attachment 14537
I got the guitar second hand specifically for what I’m about to do it...
Can you turn enough it so it acts on relief ? If so, it shouldn't be a problem. If it wont turn, try to return it.

I'm not sure many of us know if a truss rod can normally be easily extracted. we never tried, maybe it does.

What is it you're about to do to it ?

Zero

Reaction score
It now loosens and tightens in its home.

Zero

Reaction score
Can you turn enough it so it acts on relief ? If so, it shouldn't be a problem. If it wont turn, try to return it.

I'm not sure many of us know if a truss rod can normally be easily extracted. we never tried, maybe it does.

What is it you're about to do to it ?
I’ve seen a few guy’s polish the bodies. It livens up the veneer. If I can’t figure out a good way to lighten or make the top to my liking, I’m going to paint it as a goldtop.

The bridge is going to be converted to and ABR, not the kind that’s on there, but a legit ABR; fill the holes and redrill.

I want to age the hardware and either replace or age the plastic.

I have a set of Luxe caps, the switch and wiring will be replaced with the braided switch craft wire and the hardware will be aged too.

I got this one way under sticker price so even if I have to pull the fretboard and replace the truss rod, it’ll be fun.

Zero

Reaction score
You have very large Cajones my friend. :wow: I salute you. :dude:

Pat
I figure worse case scenario, can’t end up any worse than
It's budget related for me. If money wasn't a problem, I'd be willing to try something similar.

That’s the same for me. I plan on using or reusing everything have with the guitar or a few extra pieces.

BGood

Reaction score
BTW, if you intend to sand the top down to the cherry burst to get rid of its clownesque saturation, be aware that the veneer on those tops might be paper thin.

Raiyn

Reaction score
The bridge is going to be converted to and ABR, not the kind that’s on there, but a legit ABR; fill the holes and redrill.
Not something I'd bother with. I've seen too many "legit" ABR bridges bent over to ever want to deal with that nonsense. Nashville was an evolutionary step, and metric is just a bigger version.

In car terms... GM 10 bolt rear end < GM 12 bolt < Ford 9"

Kostas Kritsilas

Reaction score
It now loosens and tightens in its home.

More than likely, it is being held in place by the pressure of the truss rod acting against the fingerboard. If you loosen it so that the nut is no longer tight, does it still move around? In any case, the truss rod is probably not broken (or it would not be able to stay in place), but most likely the anchor point at the far end has come loose for some reason. Up to you, but the problem hasn't been resolved and is still present, but if you are happy with the guitar, then keep it. I would not, but that is what "I" would do, you can do what you want.

Latest posts