Whats better Epi custom pro or the Standard plustop pro

• Thread starter kustombob
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kustombob

Reaction score
Anyone played these. They both have the burst bucker pup's. Been wanting a Guitar for mainly southern rock. I have many Jacksons and Chavels but always love the Les paul sound for southern rock. Thanks for any help

Supersonic

Reaction score
There isn't really THAT much difference besides aesthetics. The Custom PRO has gold hardware and more binding and split diamond inlay headstock. As you mentioned, the pickups are the same. It seems the Custom PRO has a GraphTech nut now instead of plastic and has a phase push/pull knob in addition to the coil splitting that both guitars have. The Customs in stock at Sweetwater still have dark rosewood fingerboards while most all the PTPs have the new lighter colored Pau Ferro boards, which may or may not affect your decision.

kustombob

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I like the darker neck.Graphtech nut seems a great option. their only $75 more. Was going to get one of the cheaper Gibsons but they do not seem to be worth twice the price. The custom pro Black LP looks killer. I be using Sweetwater since I live in IN and like their service.

RegularJim

Reaction score
I have one of each. To me the Custom feels and sounds a little better than the PTP. However, there are a greater number of color choices on the PTP, if that's important to you.

Good luck!

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
I have a 2016 Custom PRO and other than being the typical heavy Les Paul, it's excellent...no complaints at all.

Oh, and the pups are ProBuckers, not Burstbuckers. There's a difference. The Bursts are a little higher quality and come with a lot of the Gibsons.

I haven't owned or played the PTP, but don't hesitate for a minute to get the Custom PRO. I got mine on sale a couple years ago for $499. Even though the price has increased a little, it's still well worth it. You won't be disappointed.

http://www.epiphonetalk.com/threads/show-your-epiphones.6/page-38#post-44039

IGRocker

Reaction score
The two guitars have basically the same construction, however the Custom Pro has more bling to it. I went with a Custom Pro back in 2012 and still love it.
They both have the burst bucker pup's.

Just a correction, they have Epiphone Probuckers, not Gibson Burstbuckers. They are still great pickups and lots of people praise them, but they aren’t Gibson pickups. They work fantastic for classic rock and blues.

kustombob

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am still debating on the Epi custom pro which would be about $700 with a case. Or i found a Gibson Tribute 2019 gold top for just over a $1000. Plus it comes with a case. MAN WHAT TO DO.

Raiyn

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am still debating on the Epi custom pro which would be about $700 with a case. Or i found a Gibson Tribute 2019 gold top for just over a $1000. Plus it comes with a case. MAN WHAT TO DO.
You'll get more guitar for the buck with the Epi. Plus if you want to change something the corksniffers will leave you the ****** alone.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
Can you try the gibby or any of the Epis ?? If I had to choose blindly, I would go for the Gibby to be honest. (based on raw materials). If I could play them, I would get the one I liked the most.

IGRocker

Reaction score
Those Gibby’s are a good bang for the buck too. Better wood and electronics, and a nitro finish if you prefer that over poly. That said, you really need to get two of them and compare them side to side. The Gibby can be a dud and the Epi stellar, or vice-versa. On that same note, neck profiles vary wildly and that affects your playability.

IGRocker

Reaction score
You'll get more guitar for the buck with the Epi. Plus if you want to change something the corksniffers will leave you the ****** alone.

I’ve never known a Gibby guy to lose his crap from changing electronics, except on original vintage models. If that were the case, all of the historic owners would flame every post with refinishes and pickup swaps.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
I certainly wouldn't mind having a burst turned into a 7string with EMGs...

With that being said, it's a shame to modify some vintage stuff.
On the other forum, someone turned an one and only example of 3 a pup custom (50s) with flame top, to a burst copy.

Latest posts