‘Flame’ Neck on New ES-335 IG

• Thread starter alstrs
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

alstrs

Reaction score
I decided I wanted an Epiphone ES-335 IG, having heard so many great things about them. I found one marked down online that was allegedly in a local store, so I went in and asked if they could find it, which they did. It looked and sounded to be in good shape, although it was a bit dusty and had some rust on the strings, so I bought it. It wasn’t until I got home that I noticed the neck had some very distinct striping along its entire length, all the way up through the headstock. I’ve tried to find any other examples of this model with a similar look, and I haven’t yet. Has anyone else gotten any fun unexpected patterns in theirs?

And by the way, I love this guitar. It plays beautifully. I figuratively can’t put it down.

IMG_0383.jpeg
IMG_0380.jpeg

GenghisBomb

Reaction score
Love that flame! Odd, as they're supposed to have mahogany necks. I dig it though!

There's some kind of magic in that 335 design. It can't be quantified or qualified, but it's just there. Definitely a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts!

Wait until you play a Gibson 335, you'll be cursed...

But those IBG's are good enough for any stage or studio!

Robb Paholsky

Reaction score
Yes, my 1981 Sheraton (Japanese) has that pattern. It's painted in "Tobacco Burst" so a lot of it is covered.

alstrs

Reaction score
Very nice guitar you have there mate, they are great guitars for the money. No, mine has not got a flamed neck, looks like the previous owner changed the knobs on it as well, looks really cool.
Hey, thank you for pointing that out! You helped me realize this is a different model than I thought. I was inspecting the knobs and found that they’re split-coil. So I now think this is an ES-335 Traditional Pro in Wine Red. It’s also under the Inspired by Gibson umbrella, so its model name just reads ‘ES-335 IG’ in the sound hole. Confusing. Thanks for your keen eye!

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score
I decided I wanted an Epiphone ES-335 IG, having heard so many great things about them. I found one marked down online that was allegedly in a local store, so I went in and asked if they could find it, which they did. It looked and sounded to be in good shape, although it was a bit dusty and had some rust on the strings, so I bought it. It wasn’t until I got home that I noticed the neck had some very distinct striping along its entire length, all the way up through the headstock. I’ve tried to find any other examples of this model with a similar look, and I haven’t yet. Has anyone else gotten any fun unexpected patterns in theirs?

And by the way, I love this guitar. It plays beautifully. I figuratively can’t put it down.

View attachment 24132
View attachment 24131
Welcome to our forum and congrats on your new ES335. :cheers:

Daz84

Reaction score
Hey, thank you for pointing that out! You helped me realize this is a different model than I thought. I was inspecting the knobs and found that they’re split-coil. So I now think this is an ES-335 Traditional Pro in Wine Red. It’s also under the Inspired by Gibson umbrella, so its model name just reads ‘ES-335 IG’ in the sound hole. Confusing. Thanks for your keen eye!
Ah cool, yeah it definitely seems to have different specs to the standard es-335 IBG so you have got a really good find there, very nice. I only noticed the knobs as thats the sort of little mods i do on guitars, normally add thumb bleeders as well if it hasn't got them, sometimes the little details can really set the look off (the details that nobody else notices). I added a wide bevel (60 deg) pickguard to mine as well to give it the more ‘vintage look’. Tried to add a pic but it says too big…. something my wife has never said!

Latest posts