1982 American series spirit

• Thread starter Fullmoon 1971
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RTH

Reaction score
Weird that the guy thought it was a fake, considering the info is out there and has been since long before the wiki. How long ago did you buy this guitar?

Mark

Reaction score
Weird that the guy thought it was a fake, considering the info is out there and has been since long before the wiki. How long ago did you buy this guitar?

According to the receipt 1-18-2013. LOL

Fullmoon 1971

Reaction score
Thing to remember guys is that the stores staff don't really give a toss when their buying the stuff in. they are just told to get it for as low a price as they can.

Fullmoon 1971

Reaction score
They other thing is. there isn't actually that much out there about the Gibson version. if your do a google search then the first thing that comes up is my entry about the same guitar on the MLP forum

Reaction score
Nearly $1000 is too much for these guitars IMO. I mean, they are definitely cool with such a history but Gibson sells brand new stripped down models like that for well under $1000. I've had GAS for those but once I saw what they go for I was cured. Anyway I could never limit myself to just a bridge PUP; I'd have to route a neck.

RTH

Reaction score
Nearly $1000 is too much for these guitars IMO. I mean, they are definitely cool with such a history but Gibson sells brand new stripped down models like that for well under $1000. I've had GAS for those but once I saw what they go for I was cured. Anyway I could never limit myself to just a bridge PUP; I'd have to route a neck.

They do seem a bit expensive, dont they? I think that part of the price includes the history aspect of these guitars. Even though that history is limited and widely unknown, I think you are paying for not only a vintage guitar, but also the privilege of owning a one of the last Epiphones and non-custom shop Gibsons from Kalamazoo. Obviously, this means more to some people than others. Here in Michigan, it probably means more to a Gibson fan than in Tenessee.

Fullmoon 1971

Reaction score
They do seem a bit expensive, dont they? I think that part of the price includes the history aspect of these guitars. Even though that history is limited and widely unknown, I think you are paying for not only a vintage guitar, but also the privilege of owning a one of the last Epiphones and non-custom shop Gibsons from Kalamazoo. Obviously, this means more to some people than others. Here in Michigan, it probably means more to a Gibson fan than in Tenessee.

I agree with all of the above, The other thing that seems to make these quite expensive is that they use the Tim Shaw humbuckers - by many condsidered to be the best PAF humbuckers gibson had made since the 50's. I am on the lookout for a set of shaws to put in my LP studio.

I would rather buy a 82-83 spirit over a LP from the same time as they are rarer, more unique and to be honest they are only expensive if you can't afford them. one mens expensive is another mans pitance.

I do know that the prices must be fairly close due to the fact I was offered £1000 by Vintage & Rare which is a shop in london, I wasn't looking to sell it - i just had it with me in the shop and the guy behind the counter what it was.

Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense. Also, they were pretty close to the specs of a vintage LP Jr. when the other guitars Gibson was making at the time were funky things like the Firebrands. Do the Nashville-built ones go for cheaper then?

RTH

Reaction score
Nope, but I think that the Kalamazoo heritage (excuse the pun) is the reason why you pay just as much for the Epiphone Spirits and Specials and re-brands as you do for the Nashville Gibson versions. Though, comparatively, the Epiphone Elitists and JDMs arent a whole lot cheaper.

Fullmoon 1971

Reaction score
A p90 version would be good but wouldn't be a spirit it would just be a LP Jr Double Cut and epiphone have already made those. I personaly think (and this will probably cause me no end of grief) is that Epiphone should some it's more obscure models in updated form I agree with @Paruwi that this model or the 2 pickup Spirit II would be fantastic loaded with p-rails would be great, much better than the countless so called limited models they put out -
"Limited edition Slash model - now with fake wig"
"Limited edition JB model - get it quick we're running out of colours"
"Limited edition anything - They we changed the colour of the hardware"

Don't get me wrong I love slash and joe bonamassa - it's just epiphones imited edition policy that annoys me. they should make some models like these or the gensis or anything else new and make them purely limited. that way if they don't sell that well they haven't really lost out and if they sell out fast then the company have found a new model to milk us dry with.

DPaulCustom

Reaction score
Yea, I guess you're right about the p90/lp jr lol
I think they (Epi) would gain a lot by polling their buyers & asking them what THEY'd like to see on the market, I agree about the "endless" limited run models, it seems every time you look at epi guitars on the net, they have some new "limited run" model popping up, which turns out to be nothing more than a couple changes from ANY other regular off the shelf guitar.
Considering the recent blowout of the Genisis model, It wouldn't surprise me if they aren't scouring the web, trying to find a famous player that used one, to create a "limit run" of that name.

RTH

Reaction score
A p90 version would be good but wouldn't be a spirit it would just be a LP Jr Double Cut and epiphone have already made those. I personaly think (and this will probably cause me no end of grief) is that Epiphone should some it's more obscure models in updated form I agree with @Paruwi that this model or the 2 pickup Spirit II would be fantastic loaded with p-rails would be great, much better than the countless so called limited models they put out -

Yeah, except for the pickups and the Leo Quann bridge, there is really no difference between these and the Epiphone double cut LP and G-400 - aside from the fact that the woods were higher quality, the headstock, and being made in Kalamazoo (for some of them), which I think is the real draw for these guitars. Better quality woods and an open book headstock will get you a Gibson or a JDM Elitist.

RTH

Reaction score
I doubt it. It was a budget guitar. The name 'Special' used for the SG version is still a budget guitar name with both Gibson and Epiphone. The name 'Spirit' has since been used on one of Gibson's off-shore student level models similar to the Maestro.

I think the pic of the custom was just a marketing ploy.

BGood

Reaction score
The American Series
Really ?

The genius behind that one must be the grampa of the guy that thought that a new Coke would be a great idea.

GibsonUSAmapGuitar3.jpg

2005usamapCloseup.jpg

Latest posts