1998 Epiphone SG G-400

• Thread starter SylenCommando
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StringmanK

Reaction score
Like Scott said, hard to give an opinion without pics.

I had the same 1998 you are getting, in cherry red. It was a beauty and played great. You'll love it.

01_zps6ez2lajf.jpg
What is that white stuff the guitar is laying on? I've never seen anything like it.

StringmanK

Reaction score
Nice looking SG. I wouldn't worry about the neck, like others have said. It looks to me like cracks in the finish.

SylenCommando

Reaction score
What do people use for pots as a upgrade, Jacks and switch? CTS Pots switch craft jack and switch?

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Yeah CTS and Switchcraft are considered some of the better ones. Bournes makes nice pots and honestly I have no problem with Alphas either. But for switches and jacks Switchcraft all the way.

IGRocker

Reaction score
Same here, I used Switchcraft switches and jacks on my guitars whenever I had issues with the originals or if I got the bug to mod. I have CTS 500k pots in my LPC.

IGRocker

Reaction score
Alpha pots for metric stuff and CTS for standard/imperial sizes. If your guitar is completely factory then you would need to get knobs that are for CTS pots; the stock metric ones won't fit the shaft without cramming them on (been there, done that :rolleyes:)

SylenCommando

Reaction score
Is the stock switch and jack good quality? compared to say made in china epiphones? Everything works great on it, only thing I found was one of the knobs has a chip out of the side of it, not sure if the plastic is now brittle because of its age, I think it ads character, and that vintage all original look. Stock Pickups sound great to me, not sure of its because it a 98 SG, maybe better parts went into the older ones?

IGRocker

Reaction score
I only replaced my switch because my guitar slid off the edge of a table and broke, and figured what the heck I might as well replace the jack too

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Is the stock switch and jack good quality? compared to say made in china epiphones? Everything works great on it, only thing I found was one of the knobs has a chip out of the side of it, not sure if the plastic is now brittle because of its age, I think it ads character, and that vintage all original look. Stock Pickups sound great to me, not sure of its because it a 98 SG, maybe better parts went into the older ones?
They're serviceable but nothing great. I've had the stock jacks just give up and die with the cord got yanked a bit. After that the threads couldn't hold up, they'd pop loose etc. The switches are ok. If what you have in yours is working then it's OK to just leave it be. IF you were planning on rewiring the control cavity then replace it all, IMHO. Parts is cheap, my time ain't.

SylenCommando

Reaction score
anyone else have these types of cracks on the heels of their epiphones? The crack are really bothering me lol. I just emailed a Luthier friend of mine and sent him pictures and waiting to hear back and see what he says.

BGood

Reaction score
...whenever I had issues with the originals ...
That.

If not they're good. If they start to crackle or something, lubricant spray goes a long way and doesn't cost much. All my Epis still have their stock jacks and toggles.

SylenCommando

Reaction score
That.

If not they're good. If they start to crackle or something, lubricant spray goes a long way and doesn't cost much. All my Epis still have their stock jacks and toggles.

What about pots?

SylenCommando

Reaction score
Has anyone ever removed the cover from the stock pickups? I am just wondering if inside the whole whole is covered in wax. I have seen online some are. I have a vintage 1980's super distortion I was going to install, but not sure yet. I just didn't want it to look weird one chrome and one black. Also does anyone know what these pickups are? are they the Alnico Classic humbucker Neck and Alnico Classic Plus Bridge Pickup, or are they both the pro version?

BGood

Reaction score
What about pots?
Same, lubricant keep these components working well. I don't get it that everybody keeps redoing/repacing everything that is working perfectly well.

Instead of trying to remove the cover on that pickup, just buy a cheapo on eBay for less than $5. The ones on your guitar are probably potted (waxed). You should feel a thin waxy coat on the bottom plate or see some wax around the plate if it is. Removing covers off a pickup has been many times over proven that it doesn't do squat to the tone.

You like the way it sounds now, the way it plays ? If your guitar is not a tool that bring bread to the table, I say play the hell out of it as it is, have fun and stop worrying about it.

IGRocker

Reaction score
Has anyone ever removed the cover from the stock pickups? I am just wondering if inside the whole whole is covered in wax. I have seen online some are. I have a vintage 1980's super distortion I was going to install, but not sure yet. I just didn't want it to look weird one chrome and one black. Also does anyone know what these pickups are? are they the Alnico Classic humbucker Neck and Alnico Classic Plus Bridge Pickup, or are they both the pro version?
Pretty sure they are filled with wax. With some time and an exacto knife you can clean it off pretty well though

SylenCommando

Reaction score
I just talked to that luthier friend of mine and here's what he said about the neck cracks.

If there is no visible movement in the neck, them you should be fine. This can be caused by a number of things and a loose neck isn’t necessarily the problem – if the body and neck expand or contract at different rates fro example, it could still cause a crack in the finish but the actual neck joint would still be fine. Best to keep and eye on it but I wouldn’t really worry bout it.

SylenCommando

Reaction score
Do you think the 1998 G-400 is worthy of the the 80's SD? Also I was looking at Swiftcraft jacks and what size do I get long or short, and for the stock pots that are in there are the Alpha pots or just no name? If they are alpha not point then buying new ones. What about wiring, what gauge and where is a good place to buy it?

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
I think a G-400 is worthy of whatever pickups you feel like spending the dosh on to put in it. Play it first, make sure there's no major issues that need attention (unlevel frets, etc) before putting in better stuff. The pots are OK, usually Alphas or no-names. The nice thing on these older Epis is that they didn't use the trademark crap quality push/pull pots they use on newer "Pro" G-400s. Those pots will come apart the first time you try to pull off a knob.

As for the wiring I use the braided push back wire. You can order it by the foot or a big giant role you'll never use up. I tend to order the CTS SAE sizde pots and ream out the holes so they fit. If you wanna just rewire the whole thing, you can order these things from amplified parts or stewmac:

4 each of: CTS Audio taper 250k/500k pots (get 500k). Some people prefer linear. Those people are wrong, but here's the link to the linear ones. Note that CTS makes long shaft pots. These are only needed for Gibson Les Pauls

2 each of 716P Series, Polypropylene Film (aka orange drop caps) recommend 0.047uF but anything from 0.010uF to 0.100uF will work. If you want to experiment get some test leads and don't solder there in to start, just clip them in place to see how they work. Higher values cut more high frequencies and make the tone "darker" as you roll it back. 0.047 is traditional for humbuckers. Many people like a lower value for the neck pickup, and often a higher value for the bridge pickup. There is no "right or wrong" here. It's a taste thing and has as much to do with your ears as our pickups and guitar. Luckily caps are cheap so buy a few of each.

some wire. I like this braided wire with cloth insulation which they sell by the foot. The more modern plastic stuff works fine too. Price on those is by the foot. Get 3 or 4 feet so you don't run out if something goes terribly wrong.

Get a good switchcraft jack and switch. < Note that I had to include the Amazon url for the switch because for reasons unknown AP doesn't carry the short switch. Note that a switchcraft switch will need a new SAE tip, the old one won't fit.

Last edited:

Latest posts