1999 Unsung Korea Epiphone

• Thread starter THRobinson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Just curious, I know some plants and years are better than others... Any word on the Unsung plant in '99?

Honey burst quilt top for sale, been eyeing it up but a fair drive away.

BGood

Reaction score
Just curious, I know some plants and years are better than others... Any word on the Unsung plant in '99?

No plant is better or worst, it's a case by case thing. You need to put your hands on the guitar and judge for yourself. Pre 2002 are known for some of the best and also for the worst ever.

Can we see it ?

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ya, 6h drive but, too darn pretty

I have parts from a project, gotoh nickel vintage tuners, bridge, tail, and a set of Seymour Duncan alnico II pros, and I do vintage wiring harnesses... Been looking for something like this.

Actually been hoping for a 2010 Quilt top in root beer burst, we had it in Canada for one year only but, good luck finding one, plus stuff like that have insane prices lately.

2010 AFD guitar was about $800CAD used 5yrs ago, now $1500CAD.

BGood

Reaction score
THAT is a beautiful top, get it !

6h drive ... one way ! ! ! And that is without counting on the eternal Toronto traffic. That is close to $200 in gas only. Seller doesn't want to ship ?

Add says 59's neck ? I don't believe that. Apart from the 2009 50th Anniversary 1959, all Standards came with a Slim Taper D, some thinner, some thicker, but never a fat '59 C shape.

Last edited:

THRobinson

Reaction score
Hmm, special edition maybe? Are there measurements I should check?

Seller is willing to ship, however, probably cost near the same, plus, Les Paul + Shipping = Broken Headstock... That be my fear.

BGood

Reaction score
Hmm, special edition maybe? Are there measurements I should check?

Seller is willing to ship, however, probably cost near the same, plus, Les Paul + Shipping = Broken Headstock... That be my fear.
I've sent and received guitars and amp by bus freight, Expedibus in Quebec, dunno in Ontario. This ?
https://www.ontarionorthland.ca/en/shipping

The fastest, cheapest and may the safest, as the item is handled by the driver, same as traveller's baggage, in front of everybody. Usually there the next day or sometimes the same day, depending on distance. If guitar is well packed, in a hard case, there shouldn't be any problem.

A-Zed

Reaction score

I can’t say about LPs but my SG is a 99 Unsung and there are no splits or cracks in it anywhere. I like it a lot.

THRobinson

Reaction score
I've sent and received guitars and amp by bus freight, Expedibus in Quebec, dunno in Ontario. This ?
https://www.ontarionorthland.ca/en/shipping

The fastest, cheapest and may the safest, as the item is handled by the driver, same as traveller's baggage, in front of everybody. Usually there the next day or sometimes the same day, depending on distance. If guitar is well packed, in a hard case, there shouldn't be any problem.
Bummer, looked at their map and no stops around London.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Yup, I believe ya... just when you click map, it shows all the stops and none near London, didn't think needed to go further than that... they need to update their map.

BGood

Reaction score
Yup, I believe ya... just when you click map, it shows all the stops and none near London, didn't think needed to go further than that... they need to update their map.
So ... are you getting it ?

THRobinson

Reaction score
Want to, but ya, gas price I forgot to factor in... Drive time was fine, guitar price is good, but figured at best $180 in gas. He's not comfortable with shipping, which is understandable, Kijiji and Marketplace both warn sellers and buyers against it.

Hopefully another shows up locally, but gotta say, rare to find a honeyburst quilt top, or any quilt tops really.

Was so close to grabbing it... Still eyeing it up.

Guitarman

Reaction score

If you are going to buy a Epiphone guitar, and it it is not a 2002-08 Elite/Elitist, then all the Korean plants have exceptional quality. The E/E line of electrics and acoustics start with a "F" then the next # is Year made 6 and the rest date made and number in line. This was just before Epiphone moved to China, then China came into play and the initial serial numbers were EE. The Elite/Elitist of course were made in Fuji-Gen. I always search for the Epiphone Les Paul Custom, I have owned 5, but the recession of 2007-09 took all those. But, when you look at an Epiphone and it has Tulip tuners, not replacements, it is Korean and all the ones I have owned have come form the Unsung plant. So, I for Saein plant, U for Unsung and S for Samick. Samick has made the parts and manufactured many companies guitars, Cort being one of the biggest production.

By the late 1970s, Epiphone production began moving to Korea, and by the mid-1980s, all Epiphones were Korean-built. Beginning in 1997, Epiphone moved some of it's production to China and Indonesia. I could go on and on, but here is an Unsung Custom in Tobacco Burst Mint and I paid $599+ tax through Guitar Center Used. 2002 Epi LP Custom in TBSB/Mint. Unsung factory. First picture: Front to Back: '21 Gibson 60's Standard Tri-Burst, 2002 Epi Unsung Custom TBSB, 2005 Gibson Supreme in Heritage Chery, Schecter 30th Anniversary Traditional and a Very Rare Luke 1, 2014 Ball Family Reserve Ernie Ball/Music Man in book matched Koa/14K gold hardware! Second picture: The aforementioned 2002 Korean Unsung TBSB Custom

GIB EPI SUPREME 30TH ANNIVESARY SCHECTER RARE EB-MM LUKE 1 IN MATCHED KOA RESIZE.jpg2002 KOREAN CUSTOM TBSB RESIZE.jpg

BGood

Reaction score
Want to, but ya, gas price I forgot to factor in... Drive time was fine, guitar price is good, but figured at best $180 in gas. He's not comfortable with shipping, which is understandable, Kijiji and Marketplace both warn sellers and buyers against it.

Hopefully another shows up locally, but gotta say, rare to find a honeyburst quilt top, or any quilt tops really.

Was so close to grabbing it... Still eyeing it up.
Know anybody in Ottawa that could make it happen ? Buy it and ship it to you ?

I've often bought from Kijiji, unseen guitars and amps, picked up by friends. This Ultra shipping was delayed for 3 months after I paid for it, because seller was out of the country. You have to make good contact with seller, talk on the phone, etc. Nothing is impossible.

2020-12-03.jpg

Equalphone

Reaction score
That is a beauty of a guitar. Worth some extra efforts to make it happen.

Latest posts