2001 Korean ELP suggested upgrades

flanative3

Reaction score
Hey yall, I have a 2001 Korean Les Paul that’s seen better days. I need to have the nut replaced on it because the very end of it on the low e side chipped off so it no longer holds the e string in place. I’m gonna take it to a local shop to have that replaced and also get it set up.

It also has some connection/electrical issues, I pulled out the input jack and tightened up the spring but there’s still a decent amount of static that comes in and out while playing.

I was wondering if there’s any particular nut that would be a good bang for the buck? Should I look at upgrading the pickups if I end up having to fix up some of the electrical work? I don’t wanna go too crazy with it but if there are any recommendations for hardware (also includes tuning machines, bridges, pots, etc.) I’m all ears.

Thanks in advance!

BGood

Reaction score
You have a very decent LP there. I'm sure most everybody here would like to see it.

Get a 6060-00 Graph Tech nut.

As for the static/scratching noises, there's a good chance it is because everything is dirty. Like any mechanical parts, it needs maintenance. Get a can of Deoxit (or similar spray cleaner) and from the back of each pot (just above the connectors) spray some in there and rotate the pots several times to spread the cleaner around. The pickup switch might also be problematic. From the top, spray in the hole of the selector and activate several times. If that didn't work, an Epiphone toggle switch is a very simple thing and you can (as with your output jack) make it tighter by slightly pushing/bending the prongs.

Deoxit.jpg

I use this product
MG Chemicals Nu-Trol.jpg

Toggle switch.jpg

Welcome to the Epiphone tribe.

BlueSquirrel

Reaction score
You have a very decent LP there. I'm sure most everybody here would like to see it.

Get a 6060-00 Graph Tech nut.

As for the static/scratching noises, there's a good chance it is because everything is dirty. Like any mechanical parts, it needs maintenance. Get a can of Deoxit (or similar spray cleaner) and from the back of each pot (just above the connectors) spray some in there and rotate the pots several times to spread the cleaner around. The pickup switch might also be problematic. From the top, spray in the hole of the selector and activate several times. If that didn't work, an Epiphone toggle switch is a very simple thing and you can (as with your output jack) make it tighter by slightly pushing/bending the prongs.

View attachment 25136

I use this product
View attachment 25137

View attachment 25138

Welcome to the Epiphone tribe.

Great suggestions!

BGood

Reaction score

flanative3

Reaction score

Kostas Kritsilas

Reaction score
I have a similar guitar, it is has a serial number starting with I01XXXXX. That makes it an Unsung or Saien factory guitar.

In my case, the guitar was pretty beat up. I never got the real story about how it was treated, but it arrived with one bent tuner shaft (the shaft that the tuner button is on, not the shaft that the string goes through), a broken nut corner (bass side) and a collapsing bridge (it was bending in the middle). The remaining tuners were very rough and had a ton of free play.

I replaced the tuners with the Hipshot UMP type, open back, and locking. They are really nice, very smooth, and have an 18:1 tuning ratio. The bridge and tailpiece were changed to Tone-Pros. I had a luthier friend cut a new nut to address the broken bridge corner. Guitar is fine now, working great. None of these are necessary if the guitar had been looked after better. I got the guitar so cheap that even with the new parts, it still cost less overall than a used Epiphone Les Paul would cost today. It is a plain top.

I'm sort of ambivalent as to whether the pickups need to be changed or not. I have a pair of Pro Buckers sitting on the shelf right now, but don't know if I want to change them over. If anything, I would want to change the pickup covers, because I am a big fan to the closed (as in no tuning slug holes) covers, and the Pro Buckers have open hole pickup covers. I don't hate the current pickups, and it is possible that the Pro Buckers will sound better, but maybe not better enough to change over. Again, more of a personal preference thing than a necessity.

BGood

Reaction score
I have a similar guitar, it is has a serial number starting with I01XXXXX. That makes it an Unsung or Saien factory guitar.

In my case, the guitar was pretty beat up. I never got the real story about how it was treated, but it arrived with one bent tuner shaft (the shaft that the tuner button is on, not the shaft that the string goes through), a broken nut corner (bass side) and a collapsing bridge (it was bending in the middle). The remaining tuners were very rough and had a ton of free play.

I replaced the tuners with the Hipshot UMP type, open back, and locking. They are really nice, very smooth, and have an 18:1 tuning ratio. The bridge and tailpiece were changed to Tone-Pros. I had a luthier friend cut a new nut to address the broken bridge corner. Guitar is fine now, working great. None of these are necessary if the guitar had been looked after better. I got the guitar so cheap that even with the new parts, it still cost less overall than a used Epiphone Les Paul would cost today. It is a plain top.

I'm sort of ambivalent as to whether the pickups need to be changed or not. I have a pair of Pro Buckers sitting on the shelf right now, but don't know if I want to change them over. If anything, I would want to change the pickup covers, because I am a big fan to the closed (as in no tuning slug holes) covers, and the Pro Buckers have open hole pickup covers. I don't hate the current pickups, and it is possible that the Pro Buckers will sound better, but maybe not better enough to change over. Again, more of a personal preference thing than a necessity.
Saein (Korea).
A plain top ? Got to show it, come on. I love plain tops and those old ones had the best tops.

Kostas Kritsilas

Reaction score
I have already posted pictures on the "Show Your Epiphone" thread. I got it wrong, it is a flame top, but not a lot of flame, and I don't know if its a thin veneer, or a photo-flame. Got it confused with another Epiphone LP that I used to have. Pictures are below, of the guitar, the back of the headstock (you can see the Hipshot tuners and the serial number) and the bridge area (both bridge and tailpiece are Tone Pros). Still has the original pickups. I think I changed the volume/tone knobs as well.

IMG_0037.jpeg
IMG_0038.jpeg
IMG_0039.jpegIMG_0041.jpeg

BGood

Reaction score
I have already posted pictures on the "Show Your Epiphone" thread. I got it wrong, it is a flame top, but not a lot of flame, and I don't know if its a thin veneer, or a photo-flame. Got it confused with another Epiphone LP that I used to have. Pictures are below, of the guitar, the back of the headstock (you can see the Hipshot tuners and the serial number) and the bridge area (both bridge and tailpiece are Tone Pros). Still has the original pickups. I think I changed the volume/tone knobs as well.

View attachment 25173
View attachment 25174
View attachment 25175View attachment 25176
Nice one. No photo flames on Epiphone LPs

Latest posts