90s Epiphone LP - is it worth upgrading?

Bryan

Reaction score
To affect the biggest change, you need to change values. That requires knowledge. which is why I suggested that he read up on how pots and caps make an electric guitar do what it does...... BUT there are cheap pots and caps that can be changed out with pots of the same values but are of higher quality and the guitar will sound better. Why?? Because higher quality caps and pots tend to have less variance in their rating. All pots and caps are not equal. Some brands and types are better than others... Of course you can make a 1990's Epiphone sound better. I never said that couldn't be done!! Sorry BGood, I don't appreciate people putting words in my mouth...BTW I've improved older Epi Les Pauls......50's wiring, CTS pots, orange drop caps, Switchcraft toggle and Gibson 57 classic pick ups. Boom.....You'll give a Gibson a run for it's money. This fellow admitted to not knowing how to do much work to his guitar. That is why I recommended the Inspired by Gibson LP. The work has already been done for him. Doesn't that make sense??

Last edited:

BGood

Reaction score
Why?? Because higher quality caps and pots tend to have less variance in their rating.
We did both said of same value, so variance is out of the equation if you test and choose the same values out of a pile of cheaper pots and caps.
All pots and caps are not equal. Some brands and types are better than others...
If you read on it, scientifically, all caps do the exact same job and there so little that goes through it that (for the same value) the human ear can't perceive any difference.

Sorry BGood, I don't appreciate people putting words in my mouth...
You did insinuate thought that the IBG would take him to a level that his 90's LP wouldn't.
Built from 2020 onward, with the inspired by Gibson guitar, you will be getting a guitar that will take you to the next level, or as far as you want to go.

Space1999

Reaction score
Moonbase Alpha: drifting in space on the moon
I have had two late 90’s Epi’s. The pickups were not “ProBuckers or Pro anything”, they were just stock very generic boxy sounding pu’s.

The only reason I could see for Morean Epi’s being more valued nowadays would be the wood they were made with and the rosewood fretboards.
Definitely not the pu’s, electronics, hardware or tuners.

And by the time you replace all that you might as well buy a newer era Epiphone with good Pro pu’s, Grover tuners, CTS pots and hardware not made out of pot metal guaranteed to look like dogsh#t in about 10 years.

Pat

Bryan

Reaction score
We did both said of same value, so variance is out of the equation if you test and choose the same values out of a pile of cheaper pots and caps.

If you read on it, scientifically, all caps do the exact same job and there so little that goes through it that (for the same value) the human ear can't perceive any difference.

You did insinuate thought that the IBG would take him to a level that his 90's LP wouldn't.
I didn't insinuate any Fecking thing..... Stock versus stock a Inspired by Gibson Les Paul kicks the crap out of a 90's era Epi Les Paul....Period!!! Life's too short to converse with the likes of keyboard "experts" like you. When you reply you'll have 5815 posts...Does 6000 get you a prize or something??? When do you have time to play?? One last question....Which pot is better for a les Paul? linear taper or audio taper? OR are they the same?? What is found on a 90's era Epi LP?? Don't cheat, you should have this memorized Lol.......

Brody88....BGood owes you an apology. His goal is to argue with me and try to ruin your post. Why, I haven't the faintest idea. looking at his amount of messages he must think he's the self annointed king of Epiphone. Take care and best wishes!! Bryan

Last edited:

BGood

Reaction score
Brody88....BGood owes you an apology.
Maybe you do, for misleading him.

I gave you a lengthily answer because I'm tired of that whimsy internet lecture that someone always needs to buy more/better gear, when he can be happy with what he already own. You know about the concept of five Rs ?

Last edited:

Bryan

Reaction score
Sure, the 5 R's are: Right Patient, Right medicine, Right dose, Right time and Right route.....Dispute THAT, Mr self anointed Epiphone King.....Remember, you're the fool that told him to start hammering on his frets when he TOLD us (very honestly) that he doesn't work on his guitars. You're problem is you don't understand what you're reading......Or you read something and then answer it completely out of context to what was stated. I'm sorry, oh great self anointed Epiphone God. You need the 5 R's that I mentioned.......

Last edited:

Bryan

Reaction score
I have had two late 90’s Epi’s. The pickups were not “ProBuckers or Pro anything”, they were just stock very generic boxy sounding pu’s.

The only reason I could see for Morean Epi’s being more valued nowadays would be the wood they were made with and the rosewood fretboards.
Definitely not the pu’s, electronics, hardware or tuners.

And by the time you replace all that you might as well buy a newer era Epiphone with good Pro pu’s, Grover tuners, CTS pots and hardware not made out of pot metal guaranteed to look like dogsh#t in about 10 years.

Pat
Well stated !! I said pretty much the same thing and this sites resident troll argued and distorted all that I said. BTW, why do the folks here tolerate that moron's behavior??? His arse ought to be banned, he's BAD for the site.....

Last edited:

BGood

Reaction score
New 10 messages member Brian, of which half of them are arguing with me. Wonder who the troll is ...

Don't bother responding, I won't see it, you're now on my ignore list.

strumfordays

Reaction score
I’ve upgraded LOTS of guitars over the years by adding new pickups, wiring, pots, switches etc etc. What I’ve found is none of it has really been worth it as I’ve sold all but one of the guitars that I’ve upgraded. In hindsight, I would have been better off just saving my money and investing in the guitar I really wanted!

The question you really need to ask yourself is how does the guitar feel to play? Do you like the profile of the neck?

For the $300 quoted by your tech for the fretwork, you may need to spend another $100-200 for pickups and electronics. For $500, you should be able to find one of the 2020 Inspired by Gibson Les Paul Standards (not the new fancy expensive ones) on the used market. They are great guitars. If you like chunkier neck, go for the 50s. If slimmer necks are your thing, grab a 60s. If in doubt, head to a guitar store and try one out. It shouldn’t be hard to find either!

Good luck on your quest 👍

Space1999

Reaction score
I agree with strumfordays. The Korean models Epiphone’s aren’t worth putting the money into when the same money would buy you a superior modern Epiphone.

That was my point. I wanted to share my experience with the Korean models and what I had to put into them to have them come up to today’s standards.

Pat

Space1999

Reaction score
Well stated !! I said pretty much the same thing and this sites resident troll argued and distorted all that I said. BTW, why do the folks here tolerate that moron's behavior??? His arse ought to be banned, he's BAD for the site.....
Welcome to BGood’s ignore list. You are in good company. I got on relatively quickly when I joined the site by saying I wouldn’t deem a guitar that had a neck break and repair worth having.

As far as banning someone from the site…
Well it takes all kinds to keep the site lively and interesting. This site has always been moderated with a light touch and I applaud them for that.

Tolerance is a virtue. Just don’t poke the bears.

Pat

Bryan

Reaction score
Thanks for the enlightenment Pat...... I try to keep conversations/opinions civil. But if the moderator allows a free for all, and some idiot like BGood wants to take me on..... I can go that way REAL quick.....I'd prefer not to though!!

Latest posts