A new, new What’s for Dinner thread

• Thread starter Otto99
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Otto99

Reaction score
We didn’t feel like cooking last night, so I ordered a calzone from the take and bake pizza place. Chicken, green onions, spinach, and feta with a garlic and olive oil sauce, and just to see what it was, got a cup of what they call creamy red sauce to spread on top. That turned out to be a really tasty tomato pesto sauce, and will be ordered in the future.

Digger

Reaction score
Fresh Gulf of Mexico flounder, pan fried and served on a toasted brioche bun. Bride made slaw and mini Tater Tots. The dish on the upper right has curry mayonnaise for the tots, and the bride asked if you international's - @Paruwi , @Lancpudn , @Digger - have anything like our tater tots?
View attachment 25093
Yeah in fact Gael usually has some in the freezer, for her mainly. That whole meal looks very nice Greg.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
I made a version of Ireland's favourite pub meal/takeaway for tea yesterday, The Dublin spice bag. I halfed the amoubnt of chillies & didn't do the curry sauce though. I used some scampi bites & sliced sausage in mine instead of chicken bites.
It turned out really well, although it was a little too spicy for the missus.
It tastes a lot better than it looks. :thumb:

I used this YT vid from Rick who has a proper Yorkshire accent. :thumb:

KA43JDwl.jpg

Lancpudn

Reaction score
I made a mixed bean/minced beef/grated cheese Tex Mex style meal with only half of the chilli spices of the recipe, A bit adventurous for me, but it was very nice indeed with some rice. :thumb:
My missus didn't like it though & said it was still too spicy :frown: It looks like I'll be eating it for a day or two with some Burrito wraps. :yesway: We had one of those ready-made beef lasagne meals in the freezer so she had that instead.

KvjBcoil.jpg

Otto99

Reaction score
I’ve been experimenting with pizza variations for lunch, and I’ve hit on one that’s easy to make, tastes high end, and everything can be had at Aldi. Take a prepared thin pizza crust or a flour tortilla and spread a thin layer of garlic aioli around. Cut up some ham slices into chunks, add some small chunks of pear or pineapple, top with a blend of shredded Swiss and Gruyère, and put it in the oven at 400°/205° for 8 minutes. If using a crust, put it right on the rack, if a tortilla, put it on a baking sheet. If needed, hit it with the broiler to help the cheese color up a bit.

Last edited:

Lancpudn

Reaction score
I made a salmon & broccoli quiche yesterday & it was delicious with some Jersey spuds if I say so meself. The first Jersey Royal potatoes are out in the stores & they're superb tasting potatoes, I've tried to grow them from seed potatoes here, but they don't taste anything like the ones grown on the island of Jersey in the channel islands. I've been told to make more of these instead of meat pies :D

qAkbhjpl.jpg

Otto99

Reaction score
I made a pizza with a mayo garlic Dijon “sauce,” prosciutto, Swiss and Gruyère cheese, and dried cherries. It was spectacular!

2ED84E6F-09E8-4410-A767-55BFB7FFCBEC.jpeg

Lancpudn

Reaction score
We tried some of those Wagyu meat burgers for tea yesterday, Very nice they are too & not as expensive as I thought. We had salad & some herby potato wedges with them.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
I got a KFC style seasoning mix off the ebay & did some chicken thighs in the air fryer yesterday, They were finger licking good if I say so meself. :thumb:

GWYctH5l.jpg

Otto99

Reaction score
I air fried some cod loin pieces a night or two ago. They were really nice, and a quick and easy prep and clean up. Photos to come next time, as I was experimenting.

Lancpudn

Reaction score
That sounds good Greg I haven't tried any fish in ours yet, I did make some naughty but nice doner kebab meat yesterday.
I always liked a good doner kebab after a night out back in the day, so I got some kebab seasoning mix to try from the same place I got the KFC mix from.

I used 500g minced beef & 500g of minced lamb & 100g of the seasoning max & baked it in a loaf tin.
It tastes exactly like takeaway doner kebab meat that I remember, Really nice.
I got some Pita breads from the store & stuffed them with diced tomato, cucumber, onion, shredded cabbage & thinly sliced meat with some mild chilli sauce. They were excellent. :thumb:

UDtlMpDl.jpg

Otto99

Reaction score
That sounds good Greg I haven't tried any fish in ours yet, I did make some naughty but nice doner kebab meat yesterday.
I always liked a good doner kebab after a night out back in the day, so I got some kebab seasoning mix to try from the same place I got the KFC mix from.

I used 500g minced beef & 500g of minced lamb & 100g of the seasoning max & baked it in a loaf tin.
I got some Pita breads from the store & stuffed them with diced tomato, cucumber, onion, shredded cabbage & thinly sliced meat with some mild chilli sauce. They were excellent. :thumb:

UDtlMpDl.jpg
I make a similar thing in a loaf pan, but when I take it out of the oven, I put another loaf pan on top of the meat with a small dumbbell in it to compress the meat and smoosh out any extra grease. When I bake it, I put the pan in a Bain Marie as the water surrounding the pan helps it cook evenly.

soulman969

Staff Member
Reaction score

UDtlMpDl.jpg
I've done Cod filets and Butterfy Shrimp in mine Ian. Came out fine.

Digger

Reaction score
We went the Coota Pub last night, the only pub in our remote East Gippsland town where we holiday.

I had Chicken Neptune which is a crumbed chicken pan cooked and then smothered in raw seafood, scallops, prawns and fish. Finally with handfuls of cheese its grilled which melts the cheese and cooks the seafood to perfection, just cooked and tender that is.

Served with chips and a coleslaw this monolith was a struggle but I wasn’t gonna leave.a bit

Sorry this pad is playing up and almost impossible to use it.

Latest posts