American cars in England

• Thread starter Otto99
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Otto99

Reaction score
I guess this is for Ian, but the bride and I are watching William and Mary, a British show from the early aughts, one of the characters drives a 1964 Ford Galaxie convertible, and it’s RHD. I was largely unaware that they ever made RHD cars for the UK back then, but I guess they did?

Juke Box

Reaction score
I guess this is for Ian, but the bride and I are watching William and Mary, a British show from the early aughts, one of the characters drives a 1964 Ford Galaxie convertible, and it’s RHD. I was largely unaware that they ever made RHD cars for the UK back then, but I guess they did?

actually we didn't make RHD. That was probably an assembly line mistake. LOL
My fav of all the UK vehicles was my 73 Trumph Trophy Trail 500. That was how I learned to repair electronics (Lucas)

A little known secret: it was the vibration from the parallel twin that messed up Lucas parts. There was nothing wrong with Lucas parts per se

Lancpudn

Reaction score
From what I've read some right hand drive models were made in Canada & exported to Australia, Scandinavia, UK & south Africa. I went down to a breakers yard in Crewe here in the UK to look at a RHD Ford Galaxie convertible with stacked headlights model in the late 1980's for my missus but the rot was really bad in it and I passed on it. Beautiful unmarked red interior in it though.
She was set on getting a convertible and I ended up getting her a 1972 Ford Mach1 Mustang convertible in the early 1990's.

It was the same breakers yard I bought my 65 Ford Thunderbird from in the early 1980's.

https://www.classiccars4sale.net/classic-car-review/c2c-right-hand-american-classics

Last edited:

wildeman

Reaction score
actually we didn't make RHD. That was probably an assembly line mistake. LOL
My fav of all the UK vehicles was my 73 Trumph Trophy Trail 500. That was how I learned to repair electronics (Lucas)

A little known secret: it was the vibration from the parallel twin that messed up Lucas parts. There was nothing wrong with Lucas parts per se
Best thing i did for my Bonny was rip that crap out and put in a Boyer. The dual points thing sucked.

Juke Box

Reaction score
I loved my Trophy Trail because that engine was gorgeous. Kinda reminded me of that early 20th century Brough design. Engines in UK used to be designed very artistically.
But yea those points were crap. I'll bet I adjusted and sanded those points a thousand times.

When I put it up for sale a guy called me. First question to me was: does it leak oil?
I sorta froze not sure what to tell him. He then said to me before I answered "if A Triumph doesn't leak oil it ain't got no oil in it".

Otto99

Reaction score
"if A Triumph doesn't leak oil it ain't got no oil in it".
That’s similar to what the service manager at the Jaguar dealer told me about my leaky steering rack. He’d be happy to replace it for a few grand, and he assured me it would be leaking again disappointingly soon, but that same few grand will buy an awful lot of fluid at $2.95 a bottle, so I should keep calm and carry on.

Juke Box

Reaction score
That’s similar to what the service manager at the Jaguar dealer told me about my leaky steering rack. He’d be happy to replace it for a few grand, and he assured me it would be leaking again disappointingly soon, but that same few grand will buy an awful lot of fluid at $2.95 a bottle, so I should keep calm and carry on.

Lol, yea stay calm.
I had a friend tell me about his AMC Pacer he bought way back. He said he was riding down the street and one of the fenders fell off.

Latest posts