Any Squier fans here?

• Thread starter CR
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CR

Reaction score
I know they can get a bad rap from some guitarists but I've gathered up a collection of pretty good players from Fender's entry level brand. Just like with Epiphones, it's nice to be able to fill out some spots in a collection without having to pay out the nose. I've had to go through a few of them to find the ones that suit me but I've ended up with a handful of pretty good Squiers. Anybody else with me?

CR

Reaction score
View media item 556
My Vintage Modified Jaguar

View media item 554View media item 555
My old, heavily modified Bullet hardtail. I put in some GFS Dream 90 pickups and I tried to make a varitone-style switch. I haven't quite worked out all the kinks in it yet. I tried to make one of the switch options be a Black Ice-style passive overdrive device but I don't think I made it quite right. Still, not bad for a $40 guitar!

BGood

Reaction score
Sure ! I got a sweet 50's Classic Vibe Strat. It fills the bill pretty good. Didn't like the gold aluminium pickguard. I had that 90s cream one that came from a previous Squier Standard.
I'm now shopping for a Super Champ X2 to make it complete.

Avec%20cream%20pickguard_zpsea63seyj.jpg

431229_4725384427262_174830361_n_zps2mppt6uw.jpg

Alty

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with them and some are better than US Fenders, we have a Squier Signature Bass here (P-Body / Jazz Neck) and it's pretty good, someone will always moan about them so we tend to ignore all that nonsense and enjoy them for what they are....was reading a nice story the other day how when the rush of cheap knockoffs started appearing in the 70/80's from Asia etc....to compete Gibson doubled their prices and Fender introduced the Squier....ours is one of these....

Fall+Out+Boy+In+Concert+L_jmnIDrIdml.jpg

Last edited:

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
I have a Squire with some Fender Custom 69 pick ups in neck / middle, a Dragon Fire Duo Rail and a Wilkinson tremolo .... Kicks my 1979 Fender Strats to the dirt, when pushed !!!!

Carl Los

Reaction score
I have a Squier Tele that I have been attached to for quite some time, ts really really comfortable to play. And I recently acquired 2 Squier Strats, 1 was a little on the heavy side so I sold it and bought another one that had just the right weight. I think its my favorite guitar at the moment.

There's all kinds of snobs everywhere but I could care less about what they think. I'm enjoying what I have.

TomL

Reaction score
I have 4 Squiers:

2013 Classic Vibe 50s Telecaster: (China)
This is stock, and it kicks the arse out of many Mexican Fender Teles.

image.jpeg

2014 Bullet Stratocaster: (Indonesia)
Bought as an experimental mod project. Gave it some full size CTS Pots, Orange Drop Capacitor, Switchcraft full size 5 way wafer switch, Bone nut, Wilkinson Trem and Tuners. Iron Gear Pig Irons in the neck and middle and a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound in the bridge, no covers on the pups, black knobs, trem tip and pickguard screws to give it a bolder look. It sounds fierce, and I love the upgrades combined with the light thin body.

image.jpeg

1989 Standard Stratocaster: (Korea)
This started life in Torino Red. I neglected it for many years, due to a few niggles. But I rediscovered it, and packed it with upgrades - again CTS Pots, Orange Drop cap, full size wafer 5 way switch, graphite nut, Tonerider Vintage Plus pickups. The neck is great, and whilst the tuners and trem can be weak point on modern Squiers, on the oldies, they're good and this guitar is true of that. I didn't like the Torino red so I had it repainted in Daphnr Blue, and did some light relicing to the body and plastic parts. It looks and sounds great.

image.jpeg

1997 Affinity Stratocaster: (Taiwan)

I picked this one up really cheap just over a week ago. It had been kept in a garage and was in a bit of a state. Half the nut was missing, and it was missing two saddles and the volume pot. The Jack worked but wasn't in great shape. The string trees were rusty. Aside from that, it was in working order. The tuners were OK. The pickups sounded decent and it has full size pots, switch and what looks like a Green Hornet capacitor. It cost me pennies to replace what I had too. I had a few bits and pieces kicking around as spares. I've given it a good clean and tidy and it's in good shape now. Because of my other Strats, it's up for sale though.

image.jpeg

wildeman

Reaction score
Squier's are fine, i wouldnt worry too much about the naysayers. Besides them being great guitars what i love is the freedom to basically do whatever you want to them.
Most big manufacturers have a line like this and this is the pool i feed from. My collection is heavy on Epi, Squier, Electromatic, Ibanez and Yamaha instruments. I like to get the best value i can, and when i want to change something, i dont worry about devaluation.

AJ6stringsting

Reaction score
Can't remember who said it but it goes something like: 'You are buying the guitar not the name on the headstock....

:)

The gear snobs, usually hide behind the name that's on the headstock , because of a lack talent.
I love it , when a Squire, Epiphone or a person who made a guitar, let the music do the talking on stage ( quoting, Joe Perry, here ) and the gear snob melts like an ice cube on a hot July side walk.

Last edited:

Alty

Reaction score

:D

Mmmm! imagine just as a Title and in the post just say 'Who said this?' lol....I can't remember of the top of my head but wonder how different the replies would be if it was some famous guitarist compared to a anon contributor....

....to be honest though I kinda go there when I'm a little bored and post facts about guitars in threads where it's all make believe and 99% are either ignored and no likey likey....wonder why!

:D

wildeman

Reaction score
Check out Jack Pearson, he plays a Squier Strat and he's as pro as they come. When asked why he plays such a cheap guitar he said.........." I like it", imagine that.

Cenz

Reaction score
I have a Squier VM Surf Strat in Surf Green. I like it. It's all stock and plays fine. I bought it mainly for the lipstick tube pickups. They are a little tinny, but turn down the treble on the amp and they darken. Turn the treble up and tone pots to 10 and it almost sounds like a 360/6 Rick.

jtcnj

Reaction score
The better Epi and Squiers are fine yet affordable instruments.
I just love the VM Jaguar I got recently. Cant put it down. Had to force myself (at first) to play my Epi SGs and finally get back to my Agile LP. I am rediscovering my Agile AL-2000, wow what a great guitar for cheap.
If I outgrow my SX / Rondo strat or tele, its gonna most likely be Squier CV , or Fender MIM. I dont really find fault in either though, they have some upgrades and certainly are not holding me back considering my skill level.

Ella keeps an eye on things for me....

IMG_0520-2.jpg

Mark

Reaction score
I have a 2005 '51 Strat. Very wild sounding tones, but very Clapton-ish. It's built like a Precision Bass with a Tele neck.

It has a hardtail, a Fender humbucker (whatever that is) and a single coil.

b2cef2bb-8207-4827-94d4-4c28748ecc37_zps2ad06e57.jpg

Latest posts